SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Door closing-- NOT!

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-04, 08:56 AM
ScottURnot
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Door closing-- NOT!

On my 97 sc400, I am having problems with my passenger side door closing properly. Everyone that gets in the car never gets it closed on the first try. When you open it, it almost seems like it will clunk and drop. If I leave the drivers side door open while they close the door it seems to help, sort of like its relieving the cabin pressure caused by the door closing fast. But this theory doesn’t pan out because the driver’s door closes just fine regardless. I wonder if there is some sort of adjustment in the hinge/striker that could be causing this. Any Ideas why it is doing this and how to fix it? It really gets annoying telling everyone their door didn’t shut all the way.

Later,
Scott M.
Old 09-03-04, 10:30 AM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Check the front edge of the door and the fender when you open the door to see if it made contact, that's will explain the clunk sound. The door hinge is worn and need replacing. there is a web site showing how to fix that with a use of machinist and welder (cost much less than new hinge).

As for the door not fully close, I have the same problem from time to time. I am lean toward that the passenger did not slam the door hard enough. And it shouldn't need to be slaming the door hard to close a luxury car door anyway.

I have no preoblem with the pass door hinge but my driver door hinge need to be fix for the last two years.
Old 09-03-04, 11:28 AM
ScottURnot
Lexus Test Driver

No the door doesn’t contact at the front. It actually has a very even gap all the way around when it is closed. It does however seem to drop slightly when you open it. Where is the website for hinge repair located? I have a mig welder, Bridgeport mill, and a large lathe in my shop at home so I am sure if the hinge can be repaired I have the tools to do it right. I wonder if there is some way of determining if the hinge is the actual cause of the problem I am experiencing?

Thanks,
Scott M.
Old 09-03-04, 06:45 PM
ScottURnot
Lexus Test Driver

[QUOTE]Originally posted by VQT
[there is a web site showing how to fix that with a use of machinist and welder (cost much less than new hinge).

where is the web site?

later,
Scott M
Old 09-03-04, 07:07 PM
Jc4dint
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you check the bottom rubber piece on the door? Check the trim piece on the car as well, make sure it's not sticking out. tabs hold it in as well as two screws on the ends.
Old 09-03-04, 08:06 PM
ScottURnot
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by Jc4dint
Did you check the bottom rubber piece on the door? Check the trim piece on the car as well, make sure it's not sticking out. tabs hold it in as well as two screws on the ends.
I'll check it out, thanks ILYK!
Scott M
Old 09-04-04, 12:33 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 350 Likes on 226 Posts

The clunk is from the pin that has slipped down in the hinge. either replace it or deal with it, a fix will only buy you little time until the worn hinge does it again.

try a salvage yard if you wanna cheap out.
Old 09-07-04, 08:01 AM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ScottURnot
Originally posted by VQT
[there is a web site showing how to fix that with a use of machinist and welder (cost much less than new hinge).

where is the web site?

later,
Scott M
http://www.jkwebdesign.co.uk/lexusclub/doors.htm
Old 05-14-09, 04:45 AM
snook
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you end up trying this? Both of my doors do the same thing, they slightly drop as you open them and it feels strange. Car only has 125k miles !
Old 05-14-09, 05:41 AM
GZZ-TT
Pole Position

Scott will reverse-engineer a whole new hinge unit I can see it coming! LOL
Old 05-14-09, 06:29 AM
ScottURnot
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by snook
Did you end up trying this? Both of my doors do the same thing, they slightly drop as you open them and it feels strange. Car only has 125k miles !
Never did a thing with it. Found that if I still have the drivers door open when they close the passenger door it closes fine. The car is really air tight, I know it sounds crazy but it seems to be the case.
Old 05-14-09, 07:03 AM
snook
Racer

Right many cars are like this and airtight. One is one thing and the other another though.

Im experiencing problems with the hinges on both doors. My doors often dont fully close, sure if the other door was open it would probably help to close since it's not airtight, but the real problem is the door hinges. Smooth hinges would make this a non issue

On my RX-7 you could close the door and watch the moonroof expand a little bit from outside the car.
Old 05-14-09, 12:39 PM
Luxor
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Same thing happens in my SC, door always ends up ajar when closed.
Old 05-14-09, 01:12 PM
snook
Racer

Originally Posted by Luxor
Same thing happens in my SC, door always ends up ajar when closed.
Right, but do you feel a notchyness or sticking spot in the door as they are in motion opening or closing? I can feel mine sliding and slightly drop as I open them and then raise as I close them
Old 05-14-09, 06:57 PM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by snook
Right, but do you feel a notchyness or sticking spot in the door as they are in motion opening or closing? I can feel mine sliding and slightly drop as I open them and then raise as I close them
That would be caused by a worn bushing around the hinge right? I'm having the same issues too. These doors are too damn heavy. I'd replace it and see how that goes.

Quick Reply: Door closing-- NOT!