SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Teaser pic 3....the final chapter

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-04, 03:06 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default suspension

I'm very disappointed. I got the suspension parts installed today. There's only a 1/2 inch drop in back and NONE in the front. What gives...is this normal? Does it take time to drop? Did they send me the wrong stuff?
Old 09-16-04, 03:42 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Default suspension

I think I figured out the problem. I checked the eibach website. It says the part number for my car is 8240.140.
They sent me 8230.140
Does anyone know if my car will suffer any problems while I wait to get the right springs? Should I put the stock back on while I wait?
Old 09-16-04, 03:43 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: suspension

Originally posted by reggiek
I'm very disappointed. I got the suspension parts installed today. There's only a 1/2 inch drop in back and NONE in the front. What gives...is this normal? Does it take time to drop? Did they send me the wrong stuff?

I have heard lots of people complain about the Eibach drop (meaning not low enough). I think it may be 2 things:

1. Your perception- you are around all of those FLA guys with the 1.8-2.5" drops all the time so your eye is trained to expect that sort of lowering, even if you go a little less aggressive.

2. Your tire setup: maybe if you saw a SC with 19s and Eibachs, and said, "Yeah thats good enough", it had a skinny setup, tires play a big part in stance.

Also, yes it will settle, takes a couple months.
Old 09-16-04, 03:57 PM
2jzsc3
Lexus Test Driver

I think I figured out the problem. I checked the eibach website. It says the part number for my car is 8240.140.
They sent me 8230.140
Does anyone know if my car will suffer any problems while I wait to get the right springs? Should I put the stock back on while I wait?
They installed sc400 springs on your sc300?? It should be okay because sc300 and sc400 shocks call for the same number meaning that their springs should be interchangeable also. The reason why your front looks the same and your rear is lower is because the springs were designed to carry more weight from the V8 engine on the sc400. Since you have a lighter L6 engine in your 300, it doesn't have that much weight on the front end to compress the springs and make your car look lower. The V8 would've put some weight and made the car look lower. Eibach springs for the 400 and 300 should have the same or close to same spring rate for the rears. Just the fronts have different spring rates due to its weight on the front end of the 400. hope that helps, but yea, its okay to drive with these springs until the new ones are swapped in

-Ken
Old 09-16-04, 05:11 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Default suspension

Thanks, I feel a littls better. Just have to ride around a week with the back lower than the front. Looks like the older Caddy's. Just kidding, it doesn't look as bad as that but I still don't like it.
Old 09-16-04, 05:55 PM
jeremyp111
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks, I feel a littls better. Just have to ride around a week with the back lower than the front. Looks like the older Caddy's. Just kidding, it doesn't look as bad as that but I still don't like it.
Give it some time. It WILL settle. It takes a month or two, but it will drop another 1/2 in or so.
Old 09-16-04, 07:21 PM
/Aerostar\
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Re: suspension

Originally posted by 2jzsc3
They installed sc400 springs on your sc300?? It should be okay because sc300 and sc400 shocks call for the same number meaning that their springs should be interchangeable also. The reason why your front looks the same and your rear is lower is because the springs were designed to carry more weight from the V8 engine on the sc400. Since you have a lighter L6 engine in your 300, it doesn't have that much weight on the front end to compress the springs and make your car look lower. The V8 would've put some weight and made the car look lower. Eibach springs for the 400 and 300 should have the same or close to same spring rate for the rears. Just the fronts have different spring rates due to its weight on the front end of the 400. hope that helps, but yea, its okay to drive with these springs until the new ones are swapped in

-Ken
The V8's are actually lighter...or so Ive heard, because more parts are made of aluminum. Also they will settle, just give it time
Old 09-16-04, 07:58 PM
2jzsc3
Lexus Test Driver

Default Re: Re: Re: suspension

Originally posted by /Aerostar\
The V8's are actually lighter...or so Ive heard, because more parts are made of aluminum. Also they will settle, just give it time
some parts might be lighter in the front, but no, the v8 engine is heavier than the L6. And i don't think you guys get the point of what I said. nevermind.

Last edited by 2jzsc3; 09-16-04 at 07:59 PM.
Old 09-16-04, 08:00 PM
johnee78
Lexus Champion

Reggie don't worry they will settle , but I wanted to know how it rides.I know it was a concern of yours...
Old 09-16-04, 08:22 PM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

reggie

i am truly in tears at this moment . you are actually lowered ... congrats

as johnee said it will settle not so much the springs persay but the dampers will have to find their operating range then the springs will settle as well

if you want come on over , i can get them to settle real quick with my driving style

my coilovers have already settle about 1/4 and i have only had them for about 3weeks now
Old 09-16-04, 08:48 PM
2jzsc3
Lexus Test Driver

you guys are all telling him to wait, but i think he's saying he's waiting for the sc300 springs to come. sc300 springs have a higher spring rate than the sc400. Both sc3 and sc4 eibach springs say that it lowers the sc at 1" although they have different part numbers and they look almost identical. Thats why even if it settles, the sc4 springs on the sc3 will not lower it as much as the sc3 on the sc3.
Old 09-17-04, 04:51 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Default suspension

Originally posted by johnee78
Reggie don't worry they will settle , but I wanted to know how it rides.I know it was a concern of yours...

I HATE THE RIDE!
Old 09-17-04, 05:32 AM
johnee78
Lexus Champion

I HATE THE RIDE!
DAMN!! Why?? is it too stiff , bouncy??? I wonder if the springs being the wrong ones have anything to do with that...
Old 09-17-04, 02:53 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Default Re: Re: suspension

Originally posted by johnee78
DAMN!! Why?? is it too stiff , bouncy??? I wonder if the springs being the wrong ones have anything to do with that...

The main thing bothering me is this thud you feel over little bumps. Don't like the stiffness either. The stock ride was already sorta stiff but luxury. The luxury is gone. I'll give it a try when the right springs get here. If I'm not happy, check the marketplace section.
Old 09-17-04, 03:32 PM
johnee78
Lexus Champion

Default Re: Re: Re: suspension

The main thing bothering me is this thud you feel over little bumps. Don't like the stiffness either. The stock ride was already sorta stiff but luxury. The luxury is gone. I'll give it a try when the right springs get here. If I'm not happy, check the marketplace section.
If the springs don't work out, maybe some Tein CS will ride and handle better..I noticed a big improvement in the ride compared to the eibach set-up...I know it's more money but the ride and quality of the coilovers is excellent..Alot of members including myself have been wanting you to lower your car , but I want for you to be happy with the decision and I hope it all works out in the end..If you want to go for ride in my car just let me know and we'll meet up someday..

Quick Reply: Teaser pic 3....the final chapter