Teaser pic 3....the final chapter

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-04, 03:07 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default suspension

Originally posted by siaxazn
I never liked an even drop all around. usually the front is higher than the back stock so i like getting a drop like 1.3" in the front and 1" in the back. it looks alot nicer. Like everyone said it does take a while to settle in, my coilovers settled about half an inch or more after a month. The teins are a night and day difference compared to the eibach tokico ride. I've ridden on eibach and tokicos in all my previous cars and it was stiff as shiet. I guess like they say you get what you paid for but if you ever decide to get a different setup consider the tein basics, the height adjustability is very usefull and its obviously not as stiff as the eibachs and tokicos.

Looks like the front is beginning to catch up with the back. It's now a quarter inch lower. Back now 3/4 inch. Tempted to take some pics....all the south fl guys have been waiting for this moment LOL.
Nah...I'll wait til I get the right springs.
Well, this is a teaser thread...I can play around.
Old 09-19-04, 06:06 PM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Re: suspension

Originally posted by reggiek
Looks like the front is beginning to catch up with the back. It's now a quarter inch lower. Back now 3/4 inch. Tempted to take some pics....all the south fl guys have been waiting for this moment LOL.
Nah...I'll wait til I get the right springs.
Well, this is a teaser thread...I can play around.

thats cool but i know where you live and i have a new dig cam muhaaaaa muhaaaa
Old 09-20-04, 02:01 PM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Re: suspension

Originally posted by lexforlife
thats cool but i know where you live and i have a new dig cam muhaaaaa muhaaaa
Get him dawg, get him! He'll never post pics until it's purrrrfect so this may be the only way we see how it looks as of right now

I decided to just save up some extra cash and go with the Basics, it's the only way I can be sure the car is dropped EXACTLY how I want it to be, I can't leave it up to the spring manufacturers to determine what's best looking on my car. For the extra $200 the Basics are the way to go it seems.

Last edited by mikeloc24; 09-20-04 at 02:02 PM.
Old 09-20-04, 04:34 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Default Re: Re: Re: suspension

Originally posted by mikeloc24
Get him dawg, get him! He'll never post pics until it's purrrrfect so this may be the only way we see how it looks as of right now

I decided to just save up some extra cash and go with the Basics, it's the only way I can be sure the car is dropped EXACTLY how I want it to be, I can't leave it up to the spring manufacturers to determine what's best looking on my car. For the extra $200 the Basics are the way to go it seems.

Whaaaat, I thought coilovers were at least $1200.
Besides, I think everything will be fine when I get the right springs. The bad news is there are no eibach 8240.140 in the entire US. I checked with 3 companies. A shipment is coming from Germany at the end of the month. Looks like I'll be riding like a tank for the rest of the month. Looks okay though, back still lower than the front. I could be talked into a pic if Johnnee and Ed join me.
Old 09-20-04, 06:20 PM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Re: Re: Re: Re: suspension

Besides, I think everything will be fine when I get the right springs. The bad news is there are no eibach 8240.140 in the entire US. I checked with 3 companies. A shipment is coming from Germany at the end of the month. Looks like I'll be riding like a tank for the rest of the month. Looks okay though, back still lower than the front. I could be talked into a pic if Johnnee and Ed join me.

for you reg done .. just name it my borther
Old 09-20-04, 08:34 PM
johnee78
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up Re: Re: Re: Re: suspension

Of course just name the spot and time...
Old 09-21-04, 04:57 PM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: suspension

Reggie, I was referring to the Tein Basic coilovers. Those are the ones I plan to go with. They're like $700 shipped from prostreetonline. I called TM engineering and they don't have the Basics in yet, prostreetonline.com seems to be the only place I can find the part (listed for a 93-98 Supra) and at a decent price. Another member did a thread where he wrote about how much he loved the Basics. I was going to go with the Tokico/Eibach set-up but after reading seemingly endless posts about coilovers I decided they were the best way to go for a number of reasons.

1. you can adjust the drop on these coilovers, can't do that with the Eibachs. I'm not a big fan of letting a spring manufacturer determine how much of a drop I want on my car. It was just more risky to go with the Eibach/Tokico set-up, risky in terms of risking my own satisfaction with the end result.

2. The price of the coilovers comes to about $700 shipped. The best price I found the Eibach's and Tokico's for (combined) was about $475 picked up near LA. For the extra $225 I thought the coilovers were more than worth it.

3. Coilovers are better simply because the spring and strut/shock are made by the same company so they're engineered from the start to work correctly together in terms of spring rates, shock travel, etc. When you buy aftermarket springs made by "such and such" and then struts made by "this other place" you're taking a risk because those components weren't designed to work together as well as coilovers were.

4. I read somewhere that "springs are for newbs...real modders use coilovers" and for some reason that sentiment has resounded in my head ever since.

That's just my thought process and how I plan to proceed with my SC. It'll take longer to get completed but I feel the satisfaction I have of "doing it right from the start" will far outlast the pain of having to cough up another $225 for parts. Hope this helps man.

Last edited by mikeloc24; 09-22-04 at 02:17 PM.
Old 09-21-04, 06:54 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: suspension

[QUOTE]Originally posted by mikeloc24
[B]Reggie, I was referring to the Tein Basic coilovers. Those are the ones I plan to go with. They're like $700 shipped from prostreetonline.

Can't wait to see how they work out on your car. Unless the Basics turn out really fantastic, I'll be going with the Tein CS. I understand they have the softer ride. I believe they cost around $1200.
Hopefully this will all be a moot point. If the Eibach 8240's ride as well as I have heard, I'll be happy. I'm not really into the lowering thing. I'm doing this only because there's just a little too much space in the front....but I like some space. I don't need more than an inch drop. Most important to me is a smooth ride. The salesman told me I have a hard ride because my car is lighter than the sc4 these springs were made for. Someone on the board said the same. So I'm optimistic the right springs will make me happy. If not, Tein CS here I come....unless everyone tells me the Basic's are just as soft.
Old 09-22-04, 10:25 AM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Mike: I'm with you 100%. That's why I went with the Teins from the start. There wasn't a debate whether I should run springs or coilovers.

Reggie: I can't speak for the basics, but the Tein CS will leave you 100% satisfied. Remember these offer a lot more than the basic, and are designed for comfort. I have the Tein CS on a full line of Daizen SC goodies (all bushings, camber, sway bars) and 19's and the ride is fantastic. I have them set at full drop to boot.

Couldn't be happier.
Old 09-22-04, 12:31 PM
One HoT
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I drove Basics..They are soft!! I didn't even feel anything going over bumps with the stock 16inchers..It handled amazingly...If your on budget I would get the Basics...

If not then I would get the CS...As CleanSC said, I couldn't be happier!

I had Eibachs before...My car rode like crap...I would never go back to spring and shock setup...When I got my CS..It was a night and day difference..I love the ride now and even with my 20's..I still get that stock like ride that I was looking for...Best of all, they don't make any strange noises like the Eibachs did..That drove me nuts..

Go with either Basics or the CS, you would never go back to springs and shock setup.
Old 09-22-04, 01:06 PM
johnee78
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by One HoT SC400
Go with either Basics or the CS, you would never go back to springs and shock setup.
This is soo true...

Last edited by johnee78; 09-22-04 at 01:07 PM.
Old 09-22-04, 02:25 PM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

From my understanding there's ONLY 2 differences between the CS and the Basics. The CS series allows you to adjust the softnes of the ride and they come with Tein upper pillow mounts. The Basics don't include pillow mounts (you can just use your OEM ones) and they don't allow you to adjust the softness of the ride, only the ride height.

Based on everyone's opinions here who have actually driven or rode in a car with Teins I'm more than confident that the Basics will give me the drop and luxury ride I'm looking for, and at a price I can actually deal with. For the extra $225 it's more than worth it, for me at least. Like Reggie I don't want to slam my car, just a subtle drop to close the fender gap...while still maintaining a close to stock ride.
Old 09-22-04, 04:26 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Default suspension

$700 for coilovers sounds too good to pass up. I called prostreetonline to place an order. The guy says they don't make the tein basic's for the SC. Anyone know the part number of the basic's that fit an sc?
Old 09-22-04, 06:03 PM
siaxazn
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you got to order them for the 93-98 supra, thats what i did. They dont make the basics for the sc. I guess i bought them for a good deal as i got them for 641 shipped from prostreetonline back when they offered free shipping.
Old 09-22-04, 06:05 PM
One HoT
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Get the Basics for the MKIV Supra NA or TT...Doesn't matter its the same part number...

Quick Reply: Teaser pic 3....the final chapter