SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

HELP! Sunroof left open overnight

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-04, 08:17 AM
mrshabo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! Sunroof left open overnight

Car is now soaked. What can i do to keep it from stinking. i dried it up as much as i can with towels already. applied some leather care on the seats. What else can i do?
Old 09-08-04, 08:38 AM
greenspan
Driver School Candidate

turn your heat on full blast. Run your seat heaters, Take your mats out and air dry. Dry out your switches. Suprisingly, the car enviornment takes abuse pretty well. The normal odor is mildew. Get her dry and she'll be ok. A shot of febreeze and a coat of lexol and vinylex wont hurt either.

Did the same to my 300e and woke up with 1" puddle in my center console and seats.
Old 09-08-04, 08:46 AM
Cadd
Lexus Test Driver

Ouch! Timing was aweful. We had such downpour between last night and this morning.

Sorry to hear.
Old 09-08-04, 08:57 AM
mrshabo
Lexus Test Driver

thanks for the help, gonna go outside and do that now. anything else?
Old 09-08-04, 09:49 AM
mrshabo
Lexus Test Driver

this is weird... the carpet area on my passenger side is leaking water. the top left corner of the passenger side. i had the heater blasting for about 40 min and i see water leaking down from that top left corner.. what is going on...
Old 09-08-04, 10:22 AM
SCarman
Driver School Candidate

Talking heres some help

go buy that stuff called DAMP-RID,people use it for closets and damp ridden areas,ive used it,it works great,itll take water/moisture out u didnt even know was there.follow the directions exactly,u just set supplied cup in the car over night or more,u dont have to apply anything,the moisture ends up in da cup
Old 09-08-04, 03:35 PM
mrshabo
Lexus Test Driver

i already have the damp rid inside the car but i doubt it can take out the amount of water i have in there. 12 hours my sunroof was open in the rain... i had it in there for about an hour now and i don't see any water in the container.. the chemicals are wet though.
Old 09-08-04, 04:07 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 359 Likes on 229 Posts
Default Re: HELP! Sunroof left open overnight

Originally posted by mrshabo
Car is now soaked. What can i do to keep it from stinking. i dried it up as much as i can with towels already. applied some leather care on the seats. What else can i do?
you can start by closing your sunroof. You can then try the heat method, but expect it to take at least 5 hours of the heat being on high to even begin to get it dry under the carpet. to do it properly, you'll need to remove the interior seats and carpeting for drying, since there is matting under the carpet that is wet and WILL NOT dry otherwise, just mildew and stink.

PS- did i mention not to leave your sunroof open?

Last edited by O. L. T.; 09-08-04 at 05:11 PM.
Old 09-08-04, 04:16 PM
0l33l
Lexus Test Driver

Sometimes its better not to have a sunroof
Old 09-08-04, 05:07 PM
sweetsc400
Lead Lap

I'd contact guitarman in the detailing forum for the most correct procedures. But I, too, agree that taking the carpet and seats out will be the best bet. Good luck!
Old 09-08-04, 08:32 PM
Overclocker
G35x - RWD/AWD goodness

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by sweetsc400
I'd contact guitarman in the detailing forum for the most correct procedures. But I, too, agree that taking the carpet and seats out will be the best bet. Good luck!
I'd 2nd that. This isn't SC specific so you might what to ask the same question in the detailing section.

My suggestion would be to get a wet/dry shop vac, or rent a steam cleaner and suck as much moisture out of the carpets as possible. Good luck!
Old 09-08-04, 11:43 PM
silversprucesc3
Lexus Champion

fabreze for cars works well too..
Old 09-09-04, 10:54 AM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

geez dude....just take the car to a professional detailer. I have other questions for you (like were you drinking?) but I won't bash you for this huge blunder. All I can say is good luck and maybe you should look into one of those alarms that closes up everything automatically. Or maybe just don't use the sunroof if remembering to close it is an issue.

Last edited by mikeloc24; 09-09-04 at 10:54 AM.
Old 09-09-04, 04:38 PM
Cadd
Lexus Test Driver

I am guilty of leaving the sunroof open as well....actually, it happened twice to me It was drizzling and my seats were very damp. Although this didn't happen in the GS, I was still so pissed off at myself when I found out.

It can happen to anyone.....especially if you get home late at night where it's really dark out.
Old 09-09-04, 05:35 PM
mrshabo
Lexus Test Driver

i was parking the car when my friend called me, i forgot about closing the sunroof but remembered the windows... pretty dumb mistake, i gotta admit. the one time i forget to check the sunroof is the day mother nature decides to take a **** in my car. now my car is a real car pool. 2 days pass and my carpet is still soaked. i tried that damp rid stuff and it took about 1 cup full of water out but i probably still have a few gallons in the carpet. i tried towels but the water still comes back for some reason. tom morning, i'm going to put the car in the garage and turn on the dehumidifier. i'm just scared i'm going to dry up the leather. i don't want to do it today because my seats still feel like wet paper. i'm scared i'm going to tear up them even more..

Quick Reply: HELP! Sunroof left open overnight