SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

trunk release has a mind of it's own!

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-04, 09:37 PM
mcgonagle
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trunk release has a mind of it's own!

Hello everone,
My trunk latch is opening on it's own, it usually happens about 10-15 seconds after I start the car.
Does anyone have any idea why this would be happening? I'm thinking it's electrical because the trunk latches OK otherwise.
Thanks!

Last edited by mcgonagle; 10-04-04 at 09:58 PM.
Old 10-05-04, 06:38 AM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Have you done any electrical work under the dash recently like installed an alarm, turbo timer, or remote start?

The switch works by grounding the blue wire if I remember correctly and there may be something that grounds this wire. Could be caused by a wrong alarm wire install, or a frayed wire touching ground somewhere.
Old 10-05-04, 08:35 AM
mcgonagle
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't done any electrical work, i've only owned the car for two weeks though.
Everything is completely stock, I bought it from an elderly guy who only used it to get to the golf coarse for the past 12 years.
The memory seat buttons and the rear view mirror control are also not working, do you think this is related? Could it be a fuse? I don't think the alarm is working either.

Is there a troubleshooting technique to find out where a grounding problem might be located?
Old 10-05-04, 08:54 AM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

If you are willing to troubleshoot, then I highly suggest you get the electrical manual and the repair manual for your car. The dealer ones, not Haynes or Chiltons, they are crap. It's the best investment you can make, period. With them, you'll be able to troubleshoot circuits, see how they are related, and follow the right course of action to get the job done.

Plus, you don't have to pay a mechanic to try and figure it out. That's the best part.

From here this is the best advice I can give you without studying the diagrams and the car myself.

As for the alarm, make sure the switch by your left knee is set to ON, and the remote has a fresh battery. You can buy them at Radio Shack for a few bucks. The dealer will want $20.

Another word of advice, read the owner's manual. You'll learn a lot that's not common knowledge for new owners.

Good luck!