SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Is this a joke?? 25% more hp and 30% better mpg for $250 from water??

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-01, 12:42 PM
hassi

Question

click the links and read yourself
www.aquatune.com
www.aquamist.co.uk
www.soothill.com
GASEOUS INTERCOOLING
www.highpower-nitrous.co.uk

alright, that should be enough links, so has anyone used one of these systems on a car? Any idea what it can do for a 4.0 SC400?

I'd LOVE for that AquaTune system to actually provide what they claim for $250, heck if it just added 10% more hp it'd be worth the $250!
Old 04-23-01, 01:09 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

my BS meter borrowed from Percy just blew up...... hhmmmmmmmmm........
Old 04-23-01, 01:39 PM
hassi

yeah that's what i thought too, but i read about this on another forum and they showed me all these links, they can't all be BS, but maybe the $250 one is.

thinking of calling the BBB in Oregan and seeing if they've been reported for anything, perhaps maybe false advertising?

oh and the pay by Paypal only didn't further my confidence in their product either
Old 04-23-01, 01:46 PM
RealMarty
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

No, it's not a joke.

IT'S TOTAL BULL*****!!

This crap has been around forever. What I can't figure out is how they avoid totally *****ing up the engine by putting water through the injectors (rust?) and then by introducing water, which doesn't compress very much, into the cylinders, thus increasing compression and screwing up the explosion pattern with a substance (water) that will not burn. The only thing I can think of is that they introduce so little water it's below recognition.

I'm sure the package comes with a legal disclaimer that releases them from all responsibility for damage to your car.

BTW, what do you think happens to that water after sitting in the holding tank under your hood on a 10 degree morning in mid winter?

Any idea what it can do for a 4.0 SC400? Nothing good!!

Any idea what it can do for your wallet? Empty it.

If you'd like to find a really good investment for this money please send me $249.95 plus $18.85 for S&H and I'll send you my latest invention that turns lead into gold.
Old 04-23-01, 02:04 PM
hassi

I don't know one way or the other as to if it's BS, but I did happen to find this on one of the sites and it kinda makes sense (i think):

"It is a well known fact that water does not burn but it is an efficient coolant (why else would most engines be water rather than air cooled), so it makes good sense to use it to reduce peak combustion and inlet air temperatures. This is achieved due to water having a high specific heat capacity and latent heat of evaporation, or in English, it's excellent at absorbing heat. It can therefore be used to control induction temperatures on high performance normally aspirated and turboed engines. Also water injection can be used to reduce high air temperatures making the air denser. If you get more air into the engine you can add more fuel and gain power.

The combustion process mixes air and fuel which is burnt to create energy, once you have an efficient fuel metering system the power output is governed by the amount of air that the engine can draw into its cylinders. With intake restriction removed, a normally aspirated engine is limited by atmospheric pressure, unless you add a turbo or supercharger. These devices compress the air as they force it into the engine at a greater pressure, known as boost pressure. Water injection is just another device for increasing the amount of air drawn into the engine as cooling the air makes it denser so there's more to mix with fuel.

You should notice that your car performs better in cool, damp weather conditions and this is because the air is denser which means more fuel will be burnt with the extra air and the resulting air/fuel ratio will be neater to optimum (assuming the engine is jetted correctly normally in cold conditions). By adding a water injection system to your vehicle it is possible to artificially simulating these conditions and adjusting the turbo boost level or advancing the timing it is possible to achieve an increased power and fuel economy, whilst suppressing detonation and producing less harmful emissions, cleaner pistons, valves and plugs."
Old 04-23-01, 04:09 PM
RealMarty
Lexus Test Driver

Read my lips.

IT'S BULL*****.

Old 04-23-01, 07:42 PM
XX400
Rookie

Cool Water injection

Hassi you are correct. Water injection has been around for a long time . I 've used it in turbocharged engines with great success in order to cool the mixture and supress detonation allowing much higher boost pressure. I 've also seen it used in natrually aspriated engines with high compression or lots of timing advance, so it does work. However to take full advantage you would need to advance the timing on the car to get the signfigant gains with a computer such as the ITC by APEX'i 'i which alows you to advance or retard timing at specific rpms. The main thing is it would allow you to run more advance which = more power and better fuel mileage especially in the bottom end of the power band the car would feel alot peppier.
Old 04-23-01, 08:07 PM
RealMarty
Lexus Test Driver

XX400,

Are you saying that this $250 device is going to live up to its claims?
Old 04-24-01, 09:09 AM
hassi

Arrow

XX400

HUH??

you mean it might actually provide the increased power and miles per gallon that they're claiming??

However to take full advantage you would need to advance the timing on the car to get the signfigant gains with a computer such as the ITC by APEX'i 'i which alows you to advance or retard timing at specific rpms. The main thing is it would allow you to run more advance which = more power and better fuel mileage especially in the bottom end of the power band the car would feel alot peppier.
alright, i'll bite: where do i buy one of these computers and, more importantly, how much do they cost? Oh, and another thing, if I don't advance the timing of the car will i still notice a difference in hp/mpg? Is it possible to bring the car to a shop and advance the timing for relatively cheap? Will I ever have to monitor the timing? what happens if the water runs out?

i read somewhere that the ECU in the lexus is fairly advanced and can adjust it's self depending on conditions, is it possible that it could detect the dense, cool air and increase hp/mpg on it's own?
Old 04-24-01, 10:25 AM
tim330i

Default Not BS if used on forced injection

Check out the featured car on www.performanceIX.com a highly boosted A4 that runs a water injection. Check the specs and look at the other mods he has then you decided if he would put some junk that doesn't work on his car.

Tim

Tim Jones, Co-Founder
performanceIX Inc.
http://www.performanceIX.com
performance Information eXchange
Old 04-24-01, 11:12 AM
turboderek

This will help the performance very little (most likely zero or hurt performance) on a stock car. You need high compression or a turbo to use this mod. It helps reduce detonation by cooling the intake charge. On a turbo car this means more boost.
Old 04-24-01, 12:09 PM
mindflux
Pole Position

Default hey turboderek ???

is that one of those Omni turbo sleepers you own...if it is GREAT car...man I used to get spanked with those all the time...never seen one boosting 20psi? I have ...not cool!!!!
Old 04-24-01, 02:40 PM
turboderek

Why yes it is. I'm runing 17 PSI of boost right now. A 12PSI I kill my IS300 I'm a car leanth ahead by second gear and the race is over by third. I love my IS300, just look at all that space around the exhaust manifold for 2 turbos. Only if I wasn't leasing. Does anyone know how much boost IS turbo kits put out? Are they low enough I can just bolt on on?
Old 04-24-01, 04:53 PM
hassi

turboderek

someone said something about "advancing the timing", would that be possible with this kit on a normally aspirated engine?

can't say i'm happy to hear that it's only for turbo/supercharged cars
Old 04-24-01, 08:05 PM
turboderek

I don't know what mods you have to you car but you would need a a very high compression engine. I'm talking different pistons or having you head decked inorder to raise the compression. This mod tends to be best on turbocars. There is to much work needed to use this on a N/A car. Advancing you timing would raise you powerband higher up in the rpm range and yes you would get pinging, and yes water injection could help prevent this, but you would lose low end power, lose street races from a rolling start, and you probably have better 1/4 mile times by .001. To make a long story short I don't think this is the best for near stock N/A cars.

Quick Reply: Is this a joke?? 25% more hp and 30% better mpg for $250 from water??