SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Where can I get OBD 1 Checked out at?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-04, 08:57 AM
MeehSoFly
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where can I get OBD 1 Checked out at?

Guyz....I need your help...I need to know where I can get an engine code error checked for 92 sc400. As of right now I believe my car needs to change one of the o2 sensor cause I'm only getting 260-270 miles per full tank. I remember that b4 I bought my car several months ago, engine check was on. I asked the old
owner what that was and he told me o2 sensor was out but I forgot which one. But three days later, after I paid him and took the car home...the check engine light never came back on. I believe that since my car
is a 92 that it must be OBD 1...is that correct? Most places now don't carry OBD 1 testers anymore. I tried the search function and found nothing. Any help would be appreciated.
Btw...what is the average miles per full tank on a 92 sc400...anyone know??
Old 10-20-04, 09:28 AM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: Where can I get OBD 1 Checked out at?

Originally posted by MeehSoFly
Guyz....I need your help...I need to know where I can get an engine code error checked for 92 sc400. As of right now I believe my car needs to change one of the o2 sensor cause I'm only getting 260-270 miles per full tank. I remember that b4 I bought my car several months ago, engine check was on. I asked the old
owner what that was and he told me o2 sensor was out but I forgot which one. But three days later, after I paid him and took the car home...the check engine light never came back on. I believe that since my car
is a 92 that it must be OBD 1...is that correct? Most places now don't carry OBD 1 testers anymore. I tried the search function and found nothing. Any help would be appreciated.
Btw...what is the average miles per full tank on a 92 sc400...anyone know??
Hey man,

Yes, ur car is an OBD-1. You can find your OBD behind the carpet next to the drives fuse box. If u r in Tulsa then bring it by here and I can show you. You can check the code yourself using a paper clip - but I don't think u r going to get a reading if ur check engine light is not on. Open the cap of the grey circular plastic OBD and then put oneside of the paper clip in TE1 and the other side in E1 ( or if that doesn't work C1). Turn the ignition switch to on, but don't turn the car on. It will flash your check engine light a certain number of times, followed by a pause, followed by more blinking. For instance FLASH, FLASH, PAUSE, and then 7 more flashed would indicate 27 - which is sub O2 sensor.

I think I usually get about 310 miles per tank on a complete fill. I have a BFI and exhaust mods though so I don't know whether that has helped. Have you changed your air filter recently? Spark Plugs?

Good luck and let me know if I can help with anything else,

Peace,
Jonny
Old 10-20-04, 09:47 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 350 Likes on 226 Posts

Auto Zone tests for free. Dunno if they do lexus however.
Old 10-20-04, 10:33 AM
95BlackSC
Pole Position

Originally posted by O. L. T.
Auto Zone tests for free. Dunno if they do lexus however.
The one in my area is $20, and it's only for 96+ OBD II cars

Do the diagnostic yourself, it's very simple. There is a list of the codes somewhere around on the site
Old 10-20-04, 06:49 PM
SwampFox
Rookie

I believe that Toyota and Lexus uses an O2 sensor with two circuits having four wires. One circuit is for the engine management and has two colored wires. The other is a heater circuit that preheats the sensor and has two black wires. Usually when the O2 sensor is bad the preheater circuit has gone bad. You can pull the connector apart going to the O2 sensor and check the preheater circuit with an OHM meter. Put the meter probes onto the lugs of the two black wires in the connector. You should get some reading of maybe 8 to 10 OHMs? Anyway the reading should show something more than zero for a good sensor. If any one of the sensors is bad it will throw a check engine light code. Check all of them

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...hreadid=137385
Old 10-20-04, 06:51 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 350 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally posted by 95BlackSC
The one in my area is $20, and it's only for 96+ OBD II cars

Do the diagnostic yourself, it's very simple. There is a list of the codes somewhere around on the site
the one in my area has all the extra plug ins to their machine. i think they could read a lawnmower with all of what they have ........and it's free
Old 10-20-04, 07:53 PM
MeehSoFly
Driver

Default Re: Re: Where can I get OBD 1 Checked out at?

Originally posted by Dx3
Hey man,

Yes, ur car is an OBD-1. You can find your OBD behind the carpet next to the drives fuse box. If u r in Tulsa then bring it by here and I can show you. You can check the code yourself using a paper clip - but I don't think u r going to get a reading if ur check engine light is not on. Open the cap of the grey circular plastic OBD and then put oneside of the paper clip in TE1 and the other side in E1 ( or if that doesn't work C1). Turn the ignition switch to on, but don't turn the car on. It will flash your check engine light a certain number of times, followed by a pause, followed by more blinking. For instance FLASH, FLASH, PAUSE, and then 7 more flashed would indicate 27 - which is sub O2 sensor.

I think I usually get about 310 miles per tank on a complete fill. I have a BFI and exhaust mods though so I don't know whether that has helped. Have you changed your air filter recently? Spark Plugs?

Good luck and let me know if I can help with anything else,

Peace,
Jonny
Johnny....thanks for the info....never knew i could test it that way...and your right...couldn't test it cause I don't have a check engine light...310 miles on a full tank?? dayam that's good!! Better than mine..I prefer OLT's mileage tho...hehe... Oh, and I changed my oil, oil filter, air filter, and spark plugz not too long ago.
Next project is cleaning the throttle body....maybe that would help. Any other suggestions??

OLT......gyeah....first place I went to was Auto Zone to get it checked out but they only service OBD2 cars.

Last edited by MeehSoFly; 10-20-04 at 10:32 PM.
Old 10-20-04, 09:24 PM
Senator
Lexus Champion

Hey man, I got a ODB1 here at the house...

just bring the keg and your ride, help me help johnny and i'll hook it up for you.

J/K I will dig it up and see what I can do.......

Keep me posted if you need it.

also, did you already swap out your plugs?? if so, is your mileage still crappy?? LET ME KNOW BRO!!

Josh
Old 10-20-04, 10:18 PM
MeehSoFly
Driver

Originally posted by Senator

just bring the keg and your ride, help me help johnny and i'll hook it up for you.

also, did you already swap out your plugs?? if so, is your mileage still crappy?? LET ME KNOW BRO!!

Josh

JOSH !! ........whutz happenin bro....howya doin?....gyeah, it feel a lil more powerful and smother after the swap but didn't notice any mileage increase. I would bring the keg...hehe... and help you guyz out... but my low pro tires won't let me...driver side tire has big crack on the sidewall(getting bigger everyday) and also the same on passenger side but its a lil smaller...saving up to get brand new set of low pros and a new coolant resevoir (it's has a crack also, and leaking)(I temperarily patched it w/ jb weld) . But, as soon as I get all this maintenace thing fixed on my car.... I'll come hang out w/ you guyz!!..................Andy

btw......where'd you get ur OBD 1 tester?

Last edited by MeehSoFly; 10-20-04 at 10:20 PM.
Old 10-21-04, 10:30 AM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally posted by Senator

Josh
JOsh - u gotta get your phone fixed - it mustn't be making outgoing calls

Peace,
Jonny