SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

need opinion on these wheels...

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-04, 09:31 AM
indypwr
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default need opinion on these wheels...

well, im planning to get rid of my hp wheels soon .
what do you guys think of thse wheels below??
any feedbacks wl be appreciated...............tks!!!
Attached Thumbnails need opinion on these wheels...-chrome-wheels-19inch.jpg  
Old 10-21-04, 09:51 AM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

I'd say don't do it because they are cheap wheels.

What's wrong with cheap wheels?

Well, first, they bend easier because they are cast and not forged. What good is a nice wheel that's bent? Second, they are chrome and cheap chrome is better than no chrome. It will flake and fade in short order. Third, trying to sell those later when you get tired of them will be almost impossible because no one will want cheap, faded, bent wheels. And as a bonus, they are all the same size and to me, that's an SC no-no.

With a nice set of brand name forged wheels, you will get quality that lasts, a finish for all time, strength (and don't tell me you'll never hit a pot hole or construction trenches, cuz you will, we all do), custom sizes (staggered, baby!) and a high resale value that makes the wheels worth selling. You can sell these later on and get back 50% of the cost or more while with the cheap wheels, you will have to junk them because no one will pay a dime for jacked up wheels.

Just my opinion. I've had cheap wheels, and I am on my second set of Volk Racing wheels. There's no comparison. I'm NEVER going back.

Just some thoughts to play with.
Old 10-21-04, 09:59 AM
2jzsc3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: need opinion on these wheels...

Originally posted by indypwr
well, im planning to get rid of my hp wheels soon .
what do you guys think of thse wheels below??
any feedbacks wl be appreciated...............tks!!!

Stern ST-2 Touring Sport? we sell those here at the shop.. for these wheels on an SC because of quality.
Old 10-21-04, 10:30 AM
siniquezu
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by CleanSC

Well, first, they bend easier because they are cast and not forged.
Many JDM wheels are casted. They don't bend easily.
Old 10-21-04, 10:50 AM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally posted by siniquezu
Many JDM wheels are casted. They don't bend easily.
I was referring to cheap (gravity) cast. There are more expensive and better ways to cast wheels (pressure) that result in higher strength. Gravity cast wheels are the cheapest, weakest, and heaviest of the methods. Pressure cast are somewhat lighter, stronger and cost more to produce. I'm sure the jap wheels fall into this category.

Forged wheels are even stronger, lighter weight, and the most expensive. The only way to go with big wheels and low-pro rubber, *IMO*.

I'm not exactly sure how the wheels in question were manufactured but a set of 19's in chrome for under a grand raises a huge red flag. That's just too cheap and the cost cuts are built into the wheel.
Old 10-21-04, 10:51 AM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Indy, personally I like your mesh wheels better. If you're bored why not chrome them?
Old 10-21-04, 11:24 AM
jcm3
Pole Position

Ive owned many cast wheels and in the city of chicago they dont last. Chrome wheels are even weaker in strength. I went w/ forged wheels and will never go back they are NEARLY impossible to bend. The wheel design does look nice though.
Old 10-21-04, 12:04 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 359 Likes on 229 Posts

a bit plain for the SC.
Old 10-21-04, 12:09 PM
mteele
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you can financially afford the good whels GET THEM!!

I went with some cheap 17" Konigs because I needed new wheels and tires when I bought my SC, and couldnt afford to get staggered tires at this point in the project, and 18" would have also cost me even more. So I got something that would hold me over for a while.
Old 10-21-04, 12:51 PM
indypwr
Lexus Champion

Thumbs up

Originally posted by mikeloc24
Indy, personally I like your mesh wheels better. If you're bored why not chrome them?
yeah, i was thinking of chroming them before. well, i guess ill just have to check other wheels.

tks for feedback gys!!!
Old 10-21-04, 01:12 PM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

You just put the HP's on there a couple of months ago. Are you bored already or were these temporary from the start? Are you selling the HP's? What's up? Maybe if we knew what you were thinking we could give more concise opinions....
Old 10-21-04, 05:12 PM
silversprucesc3
Lexus Champion

Indy...
your current set up looks better...
BTW.... I have an opinion poll in the tire forum and one of the sets i photochopped on my sc is the newest HP rims... very hott..(in my opinion)...
I know a couple of guys running HP rims and they hold up well in the Northeast..(as u already know..)
Old 10-21-04, 07:21 PM
liazon
Advanced

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts
Default ssr competitions

i can tell you that a high quality wheel with less looks is better than an awesome looking wheel of questionable quality. i won't ever buy aftermarket wheels again. dealing with bent rims is a royal pain and cursing every time you hit a pothole is a severe annoyance. i had ssr competitions which weren't cheap but lightweight and weren't worth the trouble. hey, if u got the cash to live large, do it up! but for everyone else, think twice.
Old 10-22-04, 11:41 AM
indypwr
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by mikeloc24
You just put the HP's on there a couple of months ago. Are you bored already or were these temporary from the start? Are you selling the HP's? What's up? Maybe if we knew what you were thinking we could give more concise opinions....
i've had these rims from the beginning of this year..........yeah, i get tired of wheels easy, dont know why.
i like to change things around once in a while. i am selling my hp's. i posted a thread on wheels forum classfieds.
Old 10-22-04, 11:42 AM
indypwr
Lexus Champion

Thumbs up

Originally posted by blktiger12
Indy...
your current set up looks better...
BTW.... I have an opinion poll in the tire forum and one of the sets i photochopped on my sc is the newest HP rims... very hott..(in my opinion)...
I know a couple of guys running HP rims and they hold up well in the Northeast..(as u already know..)
tks for that 02.....

Quick Reply: need opinion on these wheels...