SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Complete SC400 interior restoration

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-04, 06:20 PM
William N.
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sorka,

You're results look great! I notice that you said that you bought the console for $60. Are you talking about the console that that has the volume ****, temp ****, and hazard switch on it? If so, where did you buy this part from for that price? My console is rubbing off around the volume **** and I wanted to get this replaced.

thanks
William
Old 10-31-04, 06:24 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

WOW

man that is some serious dedication

great job

very impressed

congrats on job well done

whats next ?
Old 10-31-04, 08:20 PM
sorka
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally posted by William N.
sorka,

You're results look great! I notice that you said that you bought the console for $60. Are you talking about the console that that has the volume ****, temp ****, and hazard switch on it? If so, where did you buy this part from for that price? My console is rubbing off around the volume **** and I wanted to get this replaced.

thanks
William
Yes that's the piece, but it didn't have the ***** already. I had to unscrew those assemblies and screw them into the new surround. The cup holder did come with it thought. I bought all the lexus parts from Sewell.
Old 10-31-04, 08:55 PM
William N.
Pole Position

sorka,

thanks for reply.. Do you have the part number by any chance? It would be easier for me to order that part by giving them a part number rather than me trying to explain to them what part I'm looking for...
Old 10-31-04, 08:59 PM
Deesc4
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorka,
Are you in the Bay Area? Great job!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-31-04, 09:47 PM
sorka
Lead Lap

Yup, in Bay Area. I'll see if I can track down the part number.
Old 10-31-04, 09:56 PM
silversprucesc3
Lexus Champion

Very Very Clean
Nice to see a job like this...
Old 10-31-04, 10:40 PM
kknguyen11
Rookie

Thumbs up

damm damm, look ed so good, better than the lady
Old 11-01-04, 11:14 AM
William N.
Pole Position

sorka,

I called up Sewell Lexus in Dallas today and they said that the console part was $97 and that's with the clublexus discount!! Did you order your console from the same Sewell?

William
Old 11-01-04, 11:38 AM
sorka
Lead Lap

I looked at the credit card charge. The total delivered was $83.25 but included somthing else for around $10.

The part number on the old surround piece is 58804-24030.

BTW, I have an extra cup holder in perfect condition if anyone wants to make me an offer. The new surround came with a new cup holder but that piece detaches from it. I'm not sure why they don't sell that piece seperately.
Old 11-01-04, 12:45 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by sorka
Yup, in Bay Area. I'll see if I can track down the part number.
My car looks like the before pics .... where do I sign up???
Old 11-01-04, 12:53 PM
sorka
Lead Lap

Not that I'm actually contemplating doing this as it would be stupid given all the time I just put in, but a previous respondant stated their opinion that I probably increased the value by $3000.

That got me thinking, what do people think this example would fetch in the SF Bay Area?

Quick stats:

1995, 194K miles, black.

New brakes, tires, plugs, wires, caps and rotors.
All fluids regularly and recently changed including coolant, trans, PS, brake, etc.
Needs nothing. Everything works.
Recent repairs: new radiator(metal CSF as plastic would just break again eventually), IAC valve, drivers door lock position sensor.
Timing belt is not yet due, but will be in another 30K or so, but if I keep the car, I'll probably stretch it out a lot longer than that given the kinds of miles it sees.

Here's the real kicker. Even though it has 194K miles, they are nearly all commute miles. I work 130 miles from home (260 mile round trip) and drive it twice a week.
The route and times I take keep me at freeway speeds almost the entire way to Milpitas which means no stop and go traffic. My typical drive time is 1:45 to 2:00 each way. These are the easiest miles a car can have. I feel guilty dumping out mobil 1 every 6K miles when it still looks light golden.

Another telling fact is the condition of the original caps and rotors I just changed. I would've done it a long time ago but I thought this car had electronic igntion like the 300zx. I was almost surprised to see they had fairly little wear. I seriously had to contemplate weather to actually put the new ones in.

One negative point is that it has the original torque converter. From what I understand, SCs with this mileage have typical had their tq converter go bad. This has not happened yet with ours.

So what do you think?
Old 11-01-04, 02:55 PM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by sorka
Not that I'm actually contemplating doing this as it would be stupid given all the time I just put in, but a previous respondant stated their opinion that I probably increased the value by $3000.

That got me thinking, what do people think this example would fetch in the SF Bay Area?

Quick stats:

1995, 194K miles, black.

New brakes, tires, plugs, wires, caps and rotors.
All fluids regularly and recently changed including coolant, trans, PS, brake, etc.
Needs nothing. Everything works.
Recent repairs: new radiator(metal CSF as plastic would just break again eventually), IAC valve, drivers door lock position sensor.
Timing belt is not yet due, but will be in another 30K or so, but if I keep the car, I'll probably stretch it out a lot longer than that given the kinds of miles it sees.

Here's the real kicker. Even though it has 194K miles, they are nearly all commute miles. I work 130 miles from home (260 mile round trip) and drive it twice a week.
The route and times I take keep me at freeway speeds almost the entire way to Milpitas which means no stop and go traffic. My typical drive time is 1:45 to 2:00 each way. These are the easiest miles a car can have. I feel guilty dumping out mobil 1 every 6K miles when it still looks light golden.

Another telling fact is the condition of the original caps and rotors I just changed. I would've done it a long time ago but I thought this car had electronic igntion like the 300zx. I was almost surprised to see they had fairly little wear. I seriously had to contemplate weather to actually put the new ones in.

One negative point is that it has the original torque converter. From what I understand, SCs with this mileage have typical had their tq converter go bad. This has not happened yet with ours.

So what do you think?
i'm a first gen gs guy, and i'm the one that said the value of the car probly went up 3000. honestly about 75% car ads out there ALWAYS say its highway miles. seriously how many of these can you actually believe. When i go buy a car the first thing i look at is the exterior and interior and if i saw one that clean i would justify the price depending on the interior/engine and exterior. after that then i would only look at the miles. especially on a lexus. these engines are built to last.
Old 11-01-04, 03:55 PM
sorka
Lead Lap

We really need to move. Since my wife stopped driving it regularly 3 years ago, I've put 90K miles just in 3 years. But I agree almost everyone says highway miles regardless it seems. Our new Durango tells you miles and engine hours which is kind of cool.
Old 11-02-04, 03:19 PM
sorka
Lead Lap

I've been getting a lot of PMs regarding who I bought parts from. It's in the original post, but again I got everything from Sewell Lexus.

Quick Reply: Complete SC400 interior restoration