SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

How did your SC drive in the winter/snow?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-01, 12:48 PM
mdfdsc300
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know it's kinda odd to bring it up now, but I was just wondering how the SC felt under these conditions. I have not had a chance to drive mine in the snow yet. What kind of tire were you running? The back end seems a bit light to me.....
Old 05-01-01, 07:46 PM
Slick Lex Coupe
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I drove around all winter with my traction control not working. I had Pirelli P4000s on the car. The car, like any rear drive car with decent power, was quite a handful. I never got completely stuck or anything and I even went out in pretty deep snow. You are right about the back end, it comes right around. All in all if you use your head and take it easy it's not impossibe to make it in the snow.
Old 05-01-01, 10:05 PM
hellasboy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Usually my SC handles how a rear wheel drive w/ 250hp would in the snow. I currently have Yokohama AVSdb on the rear and Goodyear GT4's on the front. My SC has traction control. if the snow is wet i don't have much of a problem with traction. new snow on the other hand is quite a problem.

About 2 months ago i was at my parents house in Denver and drove to a friends. the main roads were clear but the roads in my friends neighborhood were horrible. 2-3 inches of packed powder. on the first turn i spun to the side and became stuck near a sidewalk. i admit, i took the corner a little too aggressive called up my friend (who lived only 1 block away around 1 more corner).
the next night we drove to a high school parking lot and did donuts. the parking lot was kind of icy, some snow. i had much more control in that parking lot than i did on fresh powder. the pictures form that nigh should be getting developed soon, i'll be sure to post them

about 2 weeks ago it snowed pretty heavy in northern colorado (greeley). it wasn't too bad in denver. about 10 miles outside of greeley the highway began to turn white from the new snow. no significant problems yet, traction light blinks a few times when the car accelerates too much, not too bad. 2 miles outside of greeley, near blizzard like conditions, about 2 inches of fresh snow on the road. going roughly 5 mph, i see a few cars that have spun out, and im hoping i can make it close to my apartment. luckily i didn't have to stop, if i would have i most definately would have been stuck. i did get stuck about 6 blocks away from my apartment going on an incline. luckily i was able to find a parking spot close by (just had to reverse and park on the side of the street... VERY lucky). i nearly passed out when i got to my apartment from carrying my stuff in the weather.

From a stop, I got stuck outside my house (fresh powder again). it's fine as long as you have inertia, but from a stop it's impossible (my experience). needless to say, i drove the pickup
Old 05-02-01, 05:35 AM
MISURA

Thumbs up

No problems.

I had Nokia (yes, like the phone, Finnish) directional snow tires on my SC400. The tires worked great in fresh snow. Depending on cross winds, driving 40-60mph was OK in up to 3" of the white stuff (note: I tend to pass everyone, snow or dry). *Always drive in control*

I loved having the TRAC because it would indicate when I lost some traction. Under acceleration I found that I had to keep the rpm's under 1800 most of the time in bad weather but could still keep up high speeds.

I could come of the gas a little to keep the rear end in because of the engine braking on the rear wheels which was nice. TRAC also helps out nicely but you have to be smooth with your driving inputs or you can still mess up.

I'm looking forward to using my new LSD in the coming winter.