SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

New rims on the SC430, Pics inside

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-01, 07:29 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

hoops_24 - I have to agree. I'm not a big fan of those rims on that car. The 5 spoke thing doesn't bother me in general but I think the rim itself (the design and the brand) is not on the same level as the car. When you're fixing up a $65K, spending $4K - $6K on rims/tires should NOT even be an issue. High end rims belong on high end cars.

Personally, I would have picked one of the following (in no particular order, all with Silver or Machined/Diamond finish & High Polish Lip):

Lsportline Model 1 Evo (no choice but Chrome unfortunately)
Lsportline Model 2 (these look great in Silver)
HRE Model 543
Weds Kranze Shoki
SSR Agle Minerva
Lowenhart LD1
AutoCouture Supreme

I would also forget about the whole run-flat thing. Lexus Road Side Assistance is there for a reason. I'd do 19" or 20" rims on the SC430...But to each his own I guess...not everyone has the same taste in rims...
Old 05-22-01, 09:42 AM
exsilio

Talking no way

All those rims are for pimping. I am not a flashy NBA player showing off my ride. And while I appreciate that a decsion like this is highly subjective, I have received nothing but compliments on these rims. In fact many people have been so pleased to see the other ones go away and replaced with something far more sporty.

As I explained to someone a little while back. There are basically three types of styles out there a driver will want his car to look like.

Sporty, Flashy, or Classy.

The idea is to find which is important to you and that will help guide your upgrade path and buying decisions.

For me, I wanted like a 70/30 Sporty/Classy feel. I didn't want 'bling! bling!' flashiness. I wanted a sporty feel, but something that was somewhat refined. And these rims really accomplish that.

Now from the rims you guys mentioned, that is FLASHY all the way. And not at all the look I was going after. So when you put them on your SC430 I would love to take a look at them.

And to complete the look for my car, I think I'll be dropping it sport springs about 1.5 inches. And I am still debating a tint job.

Happy motoring.

- ex
Old 05-22-01, 10:04 AM
hoops_24
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I totally agree about the three points. I think the problem is that you morphed the classy and sporty with your choice of rims. The car is classy but the rims are sporty.
I don't know if your NBA comment was a dig at me or not, but let me tell you, I by no means am flashy. I can afford any car I want but I drive a '92 SC. But it's immaculate. Take a look at my car and you'll see what I mean. I have no tint and $1700 rims/tires. Nothing spectacular. The thing is, I think they both say "classy" and mesh well.

I won't be buying an SC430 anytime soon, but if I do I would put some classy rims on it and NOT drop it. I just think you should have invested more in the rims because you have a sweet a** ride. No disrespect!
Old 05-22-01, 10:13 AM
PlayBOy_SC400

Default ITS A FREAK"N LEX

i really think you should have got 20's on that car luk sick.. or on any lex.. PERIOD.. but tha car lux phat dood. and u wouldnt have to drop it or anything.. but hey.. its ur car..
Old 05-22-01, 02:45 PM
exsilio

to hoops

No dig intended man...I didn't even notive you nick until I read your second message.

I actually consider the HRE 542's. They are custom made and are forged, which would make for a great ride. And there are many options. I just wish I could see more pics of the wheels.

The idea to drop is more for performance than looks. Although I think the look will bea bit more agressive and sporty. If I drop it I will increase the cornering and overall handling. At 3800+ pounds, the car needs an edge for corners. The clearance is about 5.6 inches, whereas the Boxster/TT/911 are 4.1 inches. So I figure a 1.5" drop is just right.

Regarding 20" wheels. The ride would be very, very harsh. I agree the looks would be nice though. The new Silverstone from Jaguar has 20's and it looks phenominal.

I'll post pics as I add things. Any thoughts on tinting? How dark? Or should I leave it alone?

Thanks.
Old 05-22-01, 03:04 PM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Red face

If you tint go light! 35% or lighter...

I like NBA basket ball Players cars..... A couple of my friends and fraternity brothers are in the NBA, NFL etc.... So let's not stereotype it's not fair...

Back to the subject... I do like your rims they have an understated class to them... Some rims take the "show" away from the car! That's why most guys(black, white, yellow, etc.. young or older put big a$$ 20" ugly rims on their cars to make an other wise "homely" car get noticed!

IMO always chose a rim that compliment the car as a good pair of shoes does to an Italian suit...

The Ikon
Old 05-23-01, 04:56 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Exsilio, I agree with you on the whole sporty/classy thing and I'm very anti-Bling-Bling. The rims I listed, in my opinion, do not fall under the "bling-bling" catagory, but everyone's scale is different...

Except for the first rim, the others are silver or machined (aka: Diamond Finish or Diamond Cut). In my book, they automatically score super low on the "Bling-Bling-O-Meter" because they're not chrome. I also think that just because it's a 20" rim, it does NOT immediately fall into the "bling-bling" catagory (and some of the rims I listed only go to 19") I have HRE Model 543's in 20" and I've received many compliments from "older folk" (as I like to call 'em) at Lexus Dealership...

And yes, the ride on 20's is harsh if you're not used to large rim lowered cars...but my GS lowered on 20's (with H&R coilovers) rides much better than any lowered Honda/Acura on 18's that I've ever been in or owned...

You'll love the look of your car once it's lowered...and the handling improvement. Too bad there isn't a TRD suspension upgrade package for the SC430 (yet)...upgraded sway bars, a strut tower bar and possibly a lower chassis brace too (though I don't know the frame structure of the SC so I can't say if the lower chassis brace would help any or if it's even necessary.) Those items would help the "Sportiness" aspect of your car w/o detracting from the "Luxury Ride" of your car (and it definitely won't add to the "bling-bling" factor as you can't readily see any of those parts)

As for tint, I love black, non-metallic limo tint. It has many advantages, looks clean, and doesn't attract attention like mirror tint, keeps prying eyes out (I like privacy), keeps the sun out, etc...but much like rims, it's a very personal decision...but I think you should DEFINITELY have SOME type of tint, even if it's light. The added UV protection in the tint helps keep your interior cool and adds additional protection (from sun damage) to your interior (of course, if you leave the top down, tint doesn't really help)

I think a set of 19" HRE model 543's would elegant and sporty on the car without too harsh of a ride, but I would lower the car 2".

The Ikon - I agree with you on the 20" ugly rims on a "homely" car issue...I see SO many fakers around Los Angeles put chrome 20" ANYTHINGS on some beat up, salvage title car thinking that it automatically transforms the ride into a something else, when in reality, it's still a POS, just with 20" chrome uglies.

On a tangent, I saw a old Ford Taurus today with a homemade body kit using aluminum sheeting (unpainted). It was all warped and crooked. The car was silver, but all the panels were mismatched in color...I wish I had my camera, it was QUITE a sight to behold...
Old 05-23-01, 10:37 AM
exsilio

Default thanks manaray

great post manaray

I appreciate all the good info.

The 543's are nice. But what do you think of the 542's? Either way these get expensive fast. But they are the top on my list. I've exhanged emails with the owner and he sent me some pics of the 542's on a C5 Vette.

I might explore the 19"ers, but I don't want the ride to be too harsh. Things already are a bit harsh due to the run-flat tires. Plus with the lowring of the car, 19's or 20's may not be feasible.

And I totally agree on the ting. The car already comes with some special UV 'light' tint. But I think the darker tint will keep my black interior cooler, and will make the car even more aesthetically pleasing. Trouble is, no tiners I have called have tinted the sc430 yet...so that would make me the guinea pig.

Do you or anyonelse know of a good TRD site where I can get a good idea of what's available for the sc430? One thing I am considering is a brake upgrade to some Movit Big Brakes, or the Boxster S brake kit. But that's even more cash. So I have to do this in steps and not get too crazy all at once.

Thanks for all the comments.
Old 05-23-01, 11:51 AM
hoops_24
Pole Position

I guess I am once again the jacka** in the group. I wouldn't tint at all. To me it starts to make the car look "aftermarket". But if you MUST have tint, I would definitely go lighter than 35% on a car like yours. I would aslo make sure it is 3M tint which is one of the higher quality films.
I also wouldn't lower it. Again it will start looking aftermarket and fitting right in with the integras and civics. I just think that Lexus automobiles have an aura that needs to be preserved by keeping things simple. Far off from Bling! Bling! isn't it!

I'm glad we were able to recover and actually share some good information back and forth. That's what this forum is all about. Not just kissin' everyone's behind so as not to make waves. That's why on my post I asked for opinions of my car. I haven't gotten any negative, but if I would have I would have listened and learned.

Enjoy your ride man!

The NBA Pimp

Old 05-23-01, 12:20 PM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Talking The NBA Pimp

FUNNY!!! LOL

THE IKON
Old 05-23-01, 12:21 PM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Talking THE NBA PIMP

THAT'S FUNNY MAN!!! LOL
Old 05-24-01, 05:49 PM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

exsilio,

As a soon to be Silver SC 430 owner I would love to see the pictures of the new wheels on the car.. For some reason I can't view the pics on imagestation.. If you could post the after pic with the wheels on this thread I would really appreciate it..

As for my car I too hate the look of the factory wheels thats why I have ordered 18" Lowenhart LD 1's in Chrome.. I know its "bling bling" but I already drive a "bling bling" car so why not.. As for your preference it is your own and as long as you love the way it looks then that is all that really matters.. No a$$ kissing just stating the facts..

Someone told me on this forum that too big a wheel on a short wheel base vehicle takes away from the overall look of the car.. I agree and 18" suits me just fine..

As for your tint if you got the black interior like how I ordered mine then I would just do a 50% tint.. 35% is way too dark.. Metal film is preference since it is more durable and in my opinion looks better..

One question if I may since you have put some miles on your car already how has the front bumper held up to stone chips.. I am getting the dealer to do the 3M treatment to the hood and they tell me they can do the bumper as well but I am not sure yet.. Your input would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!

Ken
Old 05-24-01, 06:03 PM
hoops_24
Pole Position

Here's the picture. After looking at it again I still say it's booty. Go with the LD's and keep on bling blingin'.

NEWS FLASH! I must have really offended Exsilio. His pictures are gone??? That's not the case I hope.

Last edited by hoops_24; 05-24-01 at 06:07 PM.
Old 05-24-01, 08:26 PM
TOPLEXS
Driver

Smile

Interesting enough is that underneath those funky looking hub caps is a quite nice looking 5 spoke wheel. Just need someone to make a new "spoked" hub cap and "instant AMG". I took the caps off because I'm going to race track "Buttonwillow" Saturday, and I wanted to enhance brake cooling.
Old 05-24-01, 09:36 PM
exsilio

Default pics are still up

Hoops, you didn't hurt my feelings buddy. In my job I have to deal with people subjective opinions EVERYDAY. So I am used to differing opinions. And that's fine. I would hate for all of us to drive with the same type rims. How boring would that be?

I think ImageStation was having some problems with their servers. But the images are still up there.

Regarding how the front of the car holds up against chipping. I don't know if I can fairly say, becuase I don't know what if anything has hit that fender. I can say I have done city driving, country driving, and coastal driving. And nothing to report, other than the car is a joy to drive.

Quick Reply: New rims on the SC430, Pics inside