SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

leather seat swap

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-04, 11:00 AM
dwebb99
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default leather seat swap

Has anyone tried switching the leather upholstry from the drivers side to passenger side and vice versa on your SC. Just did this on my old Saab 900(87) and it worked out great. (common mod on old Saabs) Drivers side is more worn than pass, thought I might try a switch if possible. Anyone tried doing this?
Old 11-15-04, 12:41 PM
silversprucesc3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

they are right and left side specific... there was a post recently on this exact point however not sure where it is...
Try using the search feature... take care
Old 11-15-04, 03:39 PM
sorka
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The are not symetrical so no you can't swap them. Unfortunately my leatherseats.com seat covers came with two driver side covers (outside bulster is wider than the inside bolster).

They told me that there is some variance in sewing even though the leather is precision cut by mechanical means.

However, on my covers the variance was in the cut itself, while the sewing was perfect down to the millimeter. How do I know this? The distance from the edge to the seam along all seams was perfectly even while the leather itself was not symetrical.

Additionally, they claimed that there is no difference between the left and right side on their pattern. If this is true, then everyone gets 2 driver side seats. The difference is about an inch of width between the left and right bolsters.

Nevertheless, I was able to get a fit without wrinkles by using extra padding on the loose side and made sure not to hogring as tightly on the small side (small side of leather over larger bolster).

Interestingly enough, the seat bottoms are also asymetrical yet the covers were asymetrical to match.

This leads me to conclude that either the following occured:

1) They copied on the driver seat and mistakenly concluded that passenger seat was identical.

2) They mixed up the orders and I got two lefts while someone else got two rights.

The second scenario above is the one I'm inclinced to believe currently as the tags attached to the covers had two different operator names and two different order numbers for seat backs.

Last edited by sorka; 11-15-04 at 03:40 PM.
Old 11-16-04, 05:58 AM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Sorka:

You may have gotten a mixed up order because mine were definitely different from a each other. Looking closely you can tell there is a left and right side.
Old 11-16-04, 11:11 AM
sorka
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Ultimately, what Jeremy told me is that for those that did get covers that were different that it was simply due to random variation.

I've been kind of hoping that someone would post that they got two rights, but if someone did they may have just done the best they could to fit the drivers side without knowing what really happened.