SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Excessive Wind noise?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-04, 09:27 AM
THE_CEO
Pole Position

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

Seems like we got off track with this post...philly did you ever fix the leak in the sunroof?

CEO
Old 11-18-04, 09:59 AM
Philly#1 Lex
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No I did not even get a chance to look at it man Been busy, though I will look at it this weekend. I was hitting about 150mph today ( Im in Italy) And I notice it was coming in ( Wind Noise) Pretty Strong over by the Passenger side door. I Think My Door Seals are part of the culprit wonder how expensive those are and how will I tell that their worn? I clean the ride today And I didnt Look hard, But didnt see anything jump out at me? Man I remember my car use to be Really quiet at those speeds! My whole backseat is RaMMatted. So I will look some more?

Philly
Old 11-18-04, 10:02 AM
THE_CEO
Pole Position

cool cause i wanna find some of that solution what ever it was that revitalizes the rubber around all the the seals...cause i can use it also i dont get up to 150 too often...but i get up to 120 on every now and then...

CEO
Old 11-18-04, 10:05 AM
Philly#1 Lex
Lead Lap

cool cause i wanna find some of that solution what ever it was that revitalizes the rubber around all the the seals...cause i can use it also i dont get up to 150 too often...but i get up to 120 on every now and then...
I get there rather often. If you hear something Hit me up

Philly
Old 11-18-04, 10:08 AM
Technics
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sometimes I notice excessive wind noise, could be the direction of the wind, not sure. What I found works is to slightly reposition the sunroof. I have mine positioned to where it's still closed but at a slight angle, the air flows over much better and there's less wind noise.
Old 11-18-04, 10:11 AM
THE_CEO
Pole Position

Originally posted by Technics
Sometimes I notice excessive wind noise, could be the direction of the wind, not sure. What I found works is to slightly reposition the sunroof. I have mine positioned to where it's still closed but at a slight angle, the air flows over much better and there's less wind noise.
yes that what i do if it starts to drive me crazy....

CEO
Old 11-18-04, 04:02 PM
SC300-95-TMM
Driver

yes the sunroof seals do leak air and water. My 95 has the same common problem everyone speaks about. As for getting it fixed, I believe and others have tried it and I am going to also is get some small id silicone tubing and insert it into the existing seal to get it "pooch" out more so it will seal tight. No matter what I have tried to adjust glass, the factory seal is too small to fit tight anymore. I can move it around in the window opening about 1/32" of an inch and see daylight for water and air to get in... I will try repair soon to fix this problem.

Later

Last edited by SC300-95-TMM; 11-18-04 at 04:03 PM.
Old 11-19-04, 09:34 PM
setwire
Pole Position

Default Sunroof Repair

If you have wind noise and water leaks in your sunroof here is a cheap and quick repair Idea.
Get some fishing line the clear plastic stuff.
If your leaks are major then get fairly thick fishing line.
If the leaks are minor then get thinner fish line.
What the fishline does is to expand your rubber seal equally around the sunroof.
Install the fishing line between the 2 faces of the rubber seal of your sunroof.
Just make sure you do it completely around the whole seal so you have expanded the whole seal equally.
Put a little contact cement in a few spots to hold the fish line in place.

Voila no more leaks.

Worked for me, hope it works for you.

I live in Vancouver, Canada--- the rainiest city in North America.
If it works here it should work anywhere.

Rob

Last edited by setwire; 11-19-04 at 09:37 PM.
Old 01-08-05, 03:01 AM
p.hase
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hi, i am a new SC400 1992 owner from germany. when i bought my SC400 two weeks ago i noticed wind noise everywhere, left and right door and sunroof. not much more wind noise than on my LS430 2003 i have but totally different. the windows went up and down very slow - the rubbers at the windows were dirty and dry.

i washed all rubber seals at the doors, trunk, sunroof twice and also the door frames and the roof surrounding. not to forget the "double" window rubbers where the windows slide up and down.

i sprayed the rubber AND the doors with BAYER professional silicone spray for boats (cheap on ebay) and the wind noise is much much better and especially the sunroof is getting better and better because now due to the silicone the rubber can easily expand back into shape where it belongs to.
Old 12-29-05, 09:29 AM
exarus
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by techsc400
I can hear wind noise from Sunroof when I drive on a freeway (60-70mph).
If the Sunroof shade is closed, it reduces the noise a lot and it is fine (still can hear a little).
But if the shade is open, I can hear it clearly and it is annoying.

I tried to hear it from other Lexus (newer or other model) and I do not hear it at all.

I think that it is the rubber (seal) around the sunroof. It is not leaking when it is rainning though.

Just wondering, how about other SC that you guys have.....!!!!
Do you hear same thing like mine?

FYI, mine is 95 SC4 with 76K miles on it.
I have the same problem. I don't feel any air leakage when I run my fingers along the sunroof, but the sound does seem to come from there.

I have a 97 SC300 with 69k miles.
Old 12-29-05, 12:34 PM
xirforever
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by p.hase
hi, i am a new SC400 1992 owner from germany. when i bought my SC400 two weeks ago i noticed wind noise everywhere, left and right door and sunroof. not much more wind noise than on my LS430 2003 i have but totally different. the windows went up and down very slow - the rubbers at the windows were dirty and dry.

i washed all rubber seals at the doors, trunk, sunroof twice and also the door frames and the roof surrounding. not to forget the "double" window rubbers where the windows slide up and down.

i sprayed the rubber AND the doors with BAYER professional silicone spray for boats (cheap on ebay) and the wind noise is much much better and especially the sunroof is getting better and better because now due to the silicone the rubber can easily expand back into shape where it belongs to.

I use a 100% pure silicone spray on my seals and it conditions them to look almost new as well. Go to any auto store, they should carry the spray, put it on there, rub it in, and make sure you dont get it on your paint because its a PITA to get off the paint, no worries though it wont hurt it, just annoying.
Old 12-29-05, 12:44 PM
codetoad
Lead Lap

My Sunroof leaks too.. and I found this out when I went to an automatic carwash for the first time (Mistake!) Some water and 'pre-soak cleaner' leaked in on my head lol. I think my SC has / had every possible problem!
Old 12-29-05, 04:37 PM
EUROJulian
Intermediate

Originally Posted by p.hase

Silicone is no good for rubber, it promotes aging.

Use "Gummi Pflege Stift" from einszett or similar product.....
Old 12-29-05, 05:21 PM
xknowonex
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by techsc400
I can hear wind noise from Sunroof when I drive on a freeway (60-70mph).
If the Sunroof shade is closed, it reduces the noise a lot and it is fine (still can hear a little).
But if the shade is open, I can hear it clearly and it is annoying.

I tried to hear it from other Lexus (newer or other model) and I do not hear it at all.

I think that it is the rubber (seal) around the sunroof. It is not leaking when it is rainning though.

Just wondering, how about other SC that you guys have.....!!!!
Do you hear same thing like mine?

FYI, mine is 95 SC4 with 76K miles on it.
My problem is exactly the same as yours
Old 12-29-05, 05:27 PM
King7Two
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by newyorksc
do you have a stock sc managing to do 140mph?

I had my 300 at 145.....and it still had pedal left.

Quick Reply: Excessive Wind noise?