SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Another "what's it worth" thread. .

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-04, 07:21 AM
cheungsta
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by THE_CEO
find a lexus dealer near where the car is located if its at one dealership...take it to another dealer..ask them to certify the vehicle it may cost you in access of $130.00...but it will give you a great piece of mind...its is better to spend $130.00 than to spend the almost $5000.00 your thinking about and then have some problems later....plus if there are problems you can negotiate those with the price....

CEO
Will any lexus dealer certify a vehicle? I'm checking out a SC300 tomorrow, and it's from a private party...so I was thinking I should get it certified...esp. if it only costs $130! Should I ask to get the certification done prior to purchasing? Just curious how all that ish works...
Old 11-18-04, 09:16 AM
THE_CEO
Pole Position

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally posted by cheungsta
Will any lexus dealer certify a vehicle? I'm checking out a SC300 tomorrow, and it's from a private party...so I was thinking I should get it certified...esp. if it only costs $130! Should I ask to get the certification done prior to purchasing? Just curious how all that ish works...
ok what you need to do is to call a lexus dealer tell them that you want them to do a certification inspection..it is similar to the pre-owned certification that they do for their used cars...any Lexus DEALER should be able to do this for you...

CEO
Old 11-18-04, 09:19 AM
THE_CEO
Pole Position

oh and its was 130.00 for me to get mine done....but he kind of gave me a break cause i was out of state... just to let you know they will charge you any where from 1.5 hours to 2 hours of the labor rate at mine it was about $90.00 per hour...so if they tell you its any lesser of cost they are not doing the right examination of your car...they check for everything even the cigarette burns...

CEO
Old 11-20-04, 01:32 AM
ramobamo
Driver School Candidate

Well I went to go check out the orange sc400. All I have to say is that car is CRAP. The exterior paint is bad. The interior is bad and the drive of the car was horrible. Felt like the car lagged. Didnt feel the v8 at all. And his asking price was changed to 4900 to 6900. I was like never mind.

So I drive up to Car connections in seattle. I was supposed to talk to this guy named Tony to help me out. There was a black 92 sc400 for 6900 w/180k and a white 93 sc400 w/120k. When I first got there I saw the black car and I was inspecting the car. Then this guy. Did not have a chance to ask his name. Asked how I was doing I said I am fine (in a tone of voice in which I felt like he thought I had no money sort of way) Anyways I asked this guy if I could test drive the car and get a feel for it to see if there was no hesitation in the car, if it basically felt good. Then he asked me How do I want to pay? I said let me test drive it!! He said again how am I goin got pay? I said I was going to pay if I like the car, after I test drive it. Then he goes along with his jack-*** act and said fine lets test drive it. I said never mind and before I left I made a comment I was going ot pay in cash if I liked the car but just left. Those type of sales man that acts like jack-@sses I cant deal with..............

But to end the night I test drove a blk 92 sc400. Runs and handles good. There is 200k on it and major tune up was done 15k -20k ago and brakes etc.........The only thing is the lights in the gauge cluster doesnt work. only the half of it and the cd changer is broke. He is asking 5900. I was thinking if I dont find anything else later to offer him 4k cash for it. Well not sure yet something might come along.

Well what a long day.......................shopping for sc400...hahaha
Old 11-20-04, 01:52 AM
THE_CEO
Pole Position

Originally posted by ramobamo
Well I went to go check out the orange sc400. All I have to say is that car is CRAP. The exterior paint is bad. The interior is bad and the drive of the car was horrible. Felt like the car lagged. Didnt feel the v8 at all. And his asking price was changed to 4900 to 6900. I was like never mind.

So I drive up to Car connections in seattle. I was supposed to talk to this guy named Tony to help me out. There was a black 92 sc400 for 6900 w/180k and a white 93 sc400 w/120k. When I first got there I saw the black car and I was inspecting the car. Then this guy. Did not have a chance to ask his name. Asked how I was doing I said I am fine (in a tone of voice in which I felt like he thought I had no money sort of way) Anyways I asked this guy if I could test drive the car and get a feel for it to see if there was no hesitation in the car, if it basically felt good. Then he asked me How do I want to pay? I said let me test drive it!! He said again how am I goin got pay? I said I was going to pay if I like the car, after I test drive it. Then he goes along with his jack-*** act and said fine lets test drive it. I said never mind and before I left I made a comment I was going ot pay in cash if I liked the car but just left. Those type of sales man that acts like jack-@sses I cant deal with..............

But to end the night I test drove a blk 92 sc400. Runs and handles good. There is 200k on it and major tune up was done 15k -20k ago and brakes etc.........The only thing is the lights in the gauge cluster doesnt work. only the half of it and the cd changer is broke. He is asking 5900. I was thinking if I dont find anything else later to offer him 4k cash for it. Well not sure yet something might come along.

Well what a long day.......................shopping for sc400...hahaha
keep looking there are deals out there....

CEO
Old 11-20-04, 10:02 AM
Thomas C
Lead Lap

keep searching, the deals are out there...
Old 11-21-04, 09:03 PM
ramobamo
Driver School Candidate

Alright I think I might have found one. 92 sc400 blk tan interior. 210k miles. transmission and powersteeing was replaced already. tune up recently done. brakes, headlights all replaced. everything is working except for the gauge cluster lights and cd changer and lights behind the radio area (the one that tells you the climate) I think its the climate control. But yeah drove it. and feels like new. Exterior looks good and interior is great. He is asking 4000.

should I jump on it or wait a little more.
Old 11-21-04, 09:59 PM
southernsc
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Every new car you find the mileage increases wait and find something with under 200,000 miles, im sure you can find one thats closer to 150,000 miles for 5k
Old 11-22-04, 12:10 PM
SC300Es
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

You can have Lextech fix the cluster and climate lights and put a CD changer from a 92-96 ES and you'd be set.

You can also be patient and wait for a better deal also, like many have already suggested

Ed