SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Another "what's it worth" thread. .

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-04, 10:38 AM
ramobamo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help.

Hey everyone! I am pretty much new to the lexus scene and got out of the honda/acura and nissan/infiniti scene. I am looking to purchase a lexus sc400. I have searched the forum and I have done some research on what to look out for.

I am going this friday to this dealership to check out a 92 lexus sc400. It has 160,xxx miles on it and the from the looks of it on auto-trader it looks good. But of course pics cant do justice. I ran a carfax already and the did have at least 6 owners and no accidents at all. Everything checks out to be good. It originated in California but resides in Washington. They are selling it for 4900 but hopefully I can talk them down by bringing some cash.

Now my question is since I am not to familiar with lexus/toyota...is 4900 too much for a 92 sc400 with 160,000 miles on it?? Will the engine break down soon or should I pass and wait. I have seen 92 93 year sc400 go for a lot more with even 130k on it..

I am still going to check it out on friday and see if the ride clean and smooth and if everything else checks out.

Here's a pic

Old 11-17-04, 12:27 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Wow, that is a crazy factory color. Hope you're going to paint it when you buy it.
And no, the engine will take care of you, if you take care of it.
good luck!
Old 11-17-04, 12:42 PM
THE_CEO
Pole Position

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

find a lexus dealer near where the car is located if its at one dealership...take it to another dealer..ask them to certify the vehicle it may cost you in access of $130.00...but it will give you a great piece of mind...its is better to spend $130.00 than to spend the almost $5000.00 your thinking about and then have some problems later....plus if there are problems you can negotiate those with the price....

CEO
Old 11-17-04, 03:19 PM
ramobamo
Driver School Candidate

Thanks guys! Well as for the color. I love it. Something different. Well I check it out on friday. I just called and they still have it. Hopefully I can neg. the price. But thanks again for the input!!
Old 11-17-04, 03:40 PM
dinh626
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think that's a factory color, correct if I'm wrong. Looks cool though. There's something mounted on the cupholder that's not factory either.
Old 11-17-04, 05:24 PM
/Aerostar\
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Yea that cars got some mods...

Interesting color, and yes these cars are incredibly reliable. 160k aint no thang
Old 11-17-04, 06:28 PM
TopSCecreT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

interesting color
Old 11-17-04, 07:01 PM
ramobamo
Driver School Candidate

wow its not factory color? My friend told me it was. He said it was metallic orange. I guess he's wrong.
Old 11-17-04, 07:14 PM
/Aerostar\
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by ramobamo
wow its not factory color? My friend told me it was. He said it was metallic orange. I guess he's wrong.
100% sure its custom. But looks like a good quality paintjob with the door jams and engine bay (I assume) being done.

Also, the interior carpeting is the wrong color...That leather or steering wheel could not be original

Looks like the car's been completely redone both inside and out. Nothing wrong with that, as long as they did a good job (which it looks like they did).
Old 11-17-04, 07:25 PM
LexusFiend
Lead Lap

I would be extra careful that this car has not been in an accident .... make sure they are extra careful when u take into lexus to have it checked out. i think it would be worth around 4900 if no accidents and it runs good.
LexusFiend
Old 11-17-04, 09:26 PM
southernsc
Lexus Champion

i like that color 160k is no biggie on the 400,. that interior looks great and the oem leather seems to be in great condition. what is that thing on the cup holder? looks like an alpine amp controler.
Old 11-17-04, 09:32 PM
joshthorsc
Lexus Champion

That's a cool color!! The color is almost or exactly like my my sc400. But 160k is like low milage for the sc400. My sc400 has almost 167k and it still runs strong and very smooth.
Attached Thumbnails Another  "what's it worth" thread. .-sc400001.jpg  
Old 11-17-04, 09:33 PM
joshthorsc
Lexus Champion

Here's a front view. Sorry the pix looks cheap, but I got a cheap digital camera.
Attached Thumbnails Another  "what's it worth" thread. .-sc400003.jpg  
Old 11-17-04, 10:59 PM
silversprucesc3
Lexus Champion

ramo... that car does appear to have an aftermarket color...
Also, more importantly is the gray rug in the tan interior. It leads me to believe there was water or flood damage (i see that on the east coast alot)... Also notice the dry water stains on the lower door panel carpet area. It is stained white indicating rain water or something...
Check this car out thoroughly before buying and ask many questions...
Old 11-17-04, 11:20 PM
ramobamo
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by blktiger12
ramo... that car does appear to have an aftermarket color...
Also, more importantly is the gray rug in the tan interior. It leads me to believe there was water or flood damage (i see that on the east coast alot)... Also notice the dry water stains on the lower door panel carpet area. It is stained white indicating rain water or something...
Check this car out thoroughly before buying and ask many questions...
Thanks! Well if there was water damage or a flood damage would it be bad to purchase the car then. I am not too familiar with water damage. Does that mess up the frame meaning rusting underneath the car and parts rusts where I cant even see it. Should I stay away and just wait??

Quick Reply: Another "what's it worth" thread. .