SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

how much to relocate gas tank

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-04, 03:18 PM
newyorksc
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Default how much to relocate gas tank

anybody know how much it would cost to relocate my gastank to the back of my liscense plate?
Old 11-18-04, 03:20 PM
AutoCoutureSC
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: how much to relocate gas tank

Originally posted by 1993SCTT
anybody know how much it would cost to relocate my gastank to the back of my liscense plate?
to the back of your license plate??? confused....
Old 11-18-04, 03:30 PM
newyorksc
Lexus Champion

i am going to shave my car, this include molding body kit to my car, door handle liner, antenna, and i want to do my gas tank also..

on older cars.. like chevy impala from 1969, to fill up the gas you flip the liscense plate down and you pump gas into there.. and ive known a couple people have done it on their supra so i wonder if i can do it on my SC.

anybody know how much work is required?
Old 11-18-04, 03:38 PM
AutoCoutureSC
Lexus Fanatic

i am going to shave my car, this include molding body kit to my car, door handle liner, antenna, and i want to do my gas tank also..

on older cars.. like chevy impala from 1969, to fill up the gas you flip the liscense plate down and you pump gas into there.. and ive known a couple people have done it on their supra so i wonder if i can do it on my SC.

gotcha. so basically, you will no thave any trunk space then.? i have no idea how much it'll cost.
Old 11-18-04, 03:40 PM
newyorksc
Lexus Champion

either is the trunk or in place of the spare tire
Old 11-18-04, 03:49 PM
CytrikAcyd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

um, not trying to be a smartass, but you DO know that your rear plate is at just about the LOWEST point on your car and your fuel tank sits up HIGHER than it... and liquids don't flow UP

you'd just be punping for about 2 seconds and have it pour all over the ground. your best bet would be to relocate the neck to somewhere inside the trunk. But then you'd be risking a nasty fuel smell inside the car if you happened to spill anything, not to mention an obstruction to an already small trunk... or even wose, a nice way to clutter up your trunk if you wanted to do a stereo install

you'd probably be better off just leaving it where it is... the fuel door is pretty smooth as it is, so it's not like it'd really be cluttering up the exterior

Last edited by CytrikAcyd; 11-18-04 at 03:52 PM.
Old 11-18-04, 04:11 PM
silversprucesc3
Lexus Champion

not doable dude... fuel tank is too high!!
also not worth putting it in the trunk requiring
opening the trunk to fill up??
Old 11-18-04, 04:23 PM
jeremyp111
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not to mention, putting a filler neck inside the trunk would be highly illegal. The fuel filler neck HAS to open up outside the car. If it opened up inside, then fuel vapors could collect and any spark could blow your ride to piece and, oh, um, you with it. Keep it like it is and don't change it.

Last edited by jeremyp111; 11-18-04 at 04:25 PM.
Old 11-18-04, 04:33 PM
Caanon
Rookie

I'd say have a body shop redo the gas cap door and maybe the hinge...Make it so the seam is very small and you have to look closely to tell the door is there.

Last edited by Caanon; 11-18-04 at 05:48 PM.
Old 11-18-04, 04:39 PM
siaxazn
Lead Lap

you can always relocate it to behind the tail light and the tail light pulls to reveal the gas cap im sure most of you have seen the hondas with this mod.
Old 11-18-04, 04:59 PM
CytrikAcyd

Originally posted by Caanon
I'd say have a body shop redo the gas cap door and maybe the hinge...Make it so the seem is very small and you have to look closely to tell the door is there.
yup, that was my second thought, but not sure if the work would be worth it... but then again, I don't know if this car is gonna be daily driven, show driven, or what
Old 11-18-04, 05:00 PM
CytrikAcyd

Originally posted by siaxazn
you can always relocate it to behind the tail light and the tail light pulls to reveal the gas cap im sure most of you have seen the hondas with this mod.
yea, I saw a GS with this too, but the SC taillight is a little too wide for that. You'd have the whole thing swingin out and lookin kinda goofy, IMO
Old 11-18-04, 05:33 PM
newyorksc
Lexus Champion

your right.. i guess ill just leave the gas tank there and spend my money on something more important.. thanks for the insight.. of by the was CytrikAcyd, is that an erebuni lip on your icon?
Old 11-18-04, 06:41 PM
CytrikAcyd

your right.. i guess ill just leave the gas tank there and spend my money on something more important.. thanks for the insight.. of by the was CytrikAcyd, is that an erebuni lip on your icon?
nah. It was on the car when I got it. It's a 95, but it has a lip (go figure, lol) I THINK it might be the 92-94 lip. The backside of the lip has "TOYOTA" in big raised letters across it in the center, so I'm sure it's factory...

here's a better pic...

Old 11-19-04, 09:55 AM
newyorksc
Lexus Champion

what color did you paint your car?

Quick Reply: how much to relocate gas tank