SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Please advice on SC400 purchase..

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-04, 11:18 AM
sourcemine
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please advice on SC400 purchase..

I sold my Landcruiser on friday, I've been looking for a new car to buy, I want to spend 10k or less.

I decided to look for SC400's, I like them alot, they drive nice at high mileage and they will run well over 250k if taken care of.

I found this car on cars.com, it's a 1 owner car, the guy all paperwork, he has 3 other lexus's, total lexus fan, he used this car for driving to work m-f, he was going to keep it for his 15yr old son, but he's remodeling and wants to sell it to make space in the driveway.

The car is in immaculate condition, only normal wear and tear, one thing on the hood from all the freeway driving back and forth from the suburbs to westwood, the guys office cleaned the car inside and out weekly.

It has 140k on it, the guy has full maintence records and has always have every service done and did whatever the dealer told him to do.

The wheels are 17's with good tires, should last a little while. The car is completely stock otherwise, no new radio, no other crap, everything works great, except for the moonroof glass, which has a hairline crack, and a forum member already say they had one to donate.

My dad's pretty firm and I was suprised he liked it, he went and looked at it on his own this morning since he lives near the guy. He said if
I liked it, I could get it.

My dad said an issue maybe be selling the car with 175k a year or 2 down the road, who's going to want a car with almost 200k on it, but these 4.0 V8's seem to run a long time.

So I can go pick it up tommorrow, I got the guy down to $8450 from $9k, my dad said he'll pick me up tommorrow from work and go get it if I wanna do it.

What other similar nice cars, would you guys suggest, I've been looking, saw TL's/CL's(FWD bah), don't wait a scion or a kia...

should i hit or skip?
Old 11-21-04, 11:49 AM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Hey man,

U didn't say what year car it is? For $8450 I should hope it is a 94+ with the mileage.

Peace,
jonny
Old 11-21-04, 12:11 PM
sourcemine
Lead Lap

Originally posted by Dx3
Hey man,

U didn't say what year car it is? For $8450 I should hope it is a 94+ with the mileage.

Peace,
jonny
1993 commuter car M-F. guy has a LS430 and SC430 for weekends and stuff.
Old 11-21-04, 12:30 PM
THE_CEO
Pole Position

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

HIT it!

CEO
Old 11-21-04, 12:35 PM
sourcemine
Lead Lap

Originally posted by THE_CEO
HIT it!

CEO
I also forgot to mention it's a los angeles, CA car? if that matters.. all highway mileage... like I said the guy used it to go to work m-f for several years, till he needed a bigger car and got his LS430..
Old 11-21-04, 01:08 PM
THE_CEO
Pole Position

Originally posted by sourcemine
I also forgot to mention it's a los angeles, CA car? if that matters.. all highway mileage... like I said the guy used it to go to work m-f for several years, till he needed a bigger car and got his LS430..
As i have told people tons of times ....take the car to a dealership other than the one it has been serviced at....and have them certify the car...it will cost you about 2 hours of what ever you local labor rate is...once the mechanic has told you about all of the problems and how much it will cost to fix you will have a better idea of what you are about to get yourself into....

CEO
Old 11-21-04, 01:13 PM
sourcemine
Lead Lap

As i have told people tons of times ....take the car to a dealership other than the one it has been serviced at....and have them certify the car...it will cost you about 2 hours of what ever you local labor rate is...once the mechanic has told you about all of the problems and how much it will cost to fix you will have a better idea of what you are about to get yourself into....

CEO
thats very different from your first answer.. lol
Old 11-21-04, 03:43 PM
Baby ///M3
Lexus Champion

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

I am in the same area and have a 93' SC4 with similar mileage and rims. It runs just as new.

Make sure you check the transmission and power steering pump to see if they're still good.

You should be able to knock another $1k off the current price.

Jon

Last edited by Baby ///M3; 11-21-04 at 03:44 PM.
Old 11-21-04, 03:55 PM
sourcemine
Lead Lap

Originally posted by Baby ///M3
I am in the same area and have a 93' SC4 with similar mileage and rims. It runs just as new.

Make sure you check the transmission and power steering pump to see if they're still good.

You should be able to knock another $1k off the current price.

Jon
steering pump was replaced.. these have speed sensitive steering right? i think they do... love it..

transmission seemed good, shifted well... was mostly on highway, not alot of wear on tranny..(unless he was in traffic,which in LA who knows)..

anyways, I asked him to smog it and I think I'm pickin it up tommorrow.. yay...
Old 11-21-04, 05:21 PM
siaxazn
Lead Lap

you should have no problem selling the car 2 yrs down the line when its 175k+. I have a 93 sc300 5spd which has 185k on it and its still worth 6-7k in its condition. I think half the people here have 130k+ miles on their sc so its not condsidered high when these cars will last well over 300k miles.

I'm not exactly sure about the value of the sc400 but kbb says a 93 with 130k miles is only worth 6500. but i suppose the sc is worth a little more than what kbb says its worth since its getting rarer to find a good condition one. I'm sure you can knock it down to perhaps 7000 or so. its usually easy to knock down 200-300 off the price if theres something like a crack in the sunroof.
Old 11-21-04, 06:49 PM
sweetsc400
Lead Lap

$8,450 is a lil' steep. But, it maybe worth the peace of mind to pay the premium for books and records. KBB usually values cars at more than their worth. It's hard to say without seeing it, but my guess is that it's worth somewhere between $6,000 - $6,500. What color of interior does it have?
Old 11-21-04, 06:52 PM
sourcemine
Lead Lap

Originally posted by sweetsc400
$8,450 is a lil' steep. But, it maybe worth the peace of mind to pay the premium for books and records. KBB usually values cars at more than their worth. It's hard to say without seeing it, but my guess is that it's worth somewhere between $6,000 - $6,500. What color of interior does it have?
Black with Grey... I agreed to 8500, the car is immaculate, needs 3 things, some bulbs, moonroof glass, and a headlight housing(fogged).
Old 11-21-04, 08:40 PM
mteele
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by sweetsc400
$8,450 is a lil' steep.
Old 11-21-04, 08:53 PM
THE_CEO
Pole Position

Originally posted by sourcemine
thats very different from your first answer.. lol
when i said "hit it" i meant check it out....not just walk up there and ask him cash or check..lol

CEO
Old 11-21-04, 09:09 PM
sourcemine
Lead Lap

when i said "hit it" i meant check it out....not just walk up there and ask him cash or check..lol

CEO
I did check it out.. apparently you guys aren't as up to speed as audiworld.... hit/skip, means buy or pass.. not go take a look..

I looked at it, I drove it, I wanted to know if you guys thought it was a buy or pass... I decided I'm going to get it nonetheless.

Quick Reply: Please advice on SC400 purchase..