SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

??? COOLANT/RADIATOR Question ???

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-01, 03:30 AM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Question

Where's the engine fill plug, to put in new coolant???

On the reservior it says to "remove filler plug on front of engine to refill with new coolant"...

Okay, where is it.... I've looked and have no idea where it is.. I plan on Flushing my radiator as "TRE" did last weekend, by myself...

Which flush kit and coolant do you guys use???

How often should the hoses be replaced???
Old 05-04-01, 07:56 AM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Ikon,

Follow the hose from the resevoir to the engine, I think it is the big nut that you see at the end of the hose. I have to check the manual tonight when I get home to make sure. The nut is use to release air in the sys. after you flush it. Refill at the revervoir (I don't understand why Lexus does that)
Use only distill water for mixing with coolant, 50/50.

Old 05-04-01, 10:40 AM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Question

Thanks VQT,

I followed it...... Are you talking about the one one top of the thermostat housing...? TIA
Old 05-05-01, 08:39 PM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Correction

Ikon,

A) Open the cap of the reservoir (becareful when hot)
B) Losen the plug (nut) on top of the thermostat, that's the filler plug.
C) Losen three plugs, one on the bottom of radiator, two from the enigine block (one near the filler plug, the other located on the driver side (left side) in the middle of the and lower half of the engine.

flush the coolant

Torque of the release plugs 13 ft-lbs (engine), the one at the radiator is hand tight. Install the three plugs, fill coolant at the filler plug (the one on top of thermostat; tight the plug with new gasket, filler plug torque 33 ft-lbf

Use any good brand ethylene-glycol base coolant. Fill the reservoir... use 50/50 no more than 70% coolant

becareful this engine is aluminum

I guess we need to fill the coolant at the filler plug first, then at the reservoir.
Three release plugs, one for the radiator, two at the engine block.
Old 05-06-01, 10:53 AM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Exclamation Thanks....

VQT,

I'll give it a try now.... I guess I can't use a typical flush kit... Tre, what kit/flush did you use?

I'll just use the pour in type flush with out the back flush kit... I hope this reg. flush is as good...

Last edited by The Ikon; 05-06-01 at 11:09 AM.
Old 05-16-01, 11:42 PM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Question Marty (TRE is it running hot now?)

Lextek, VQT, other members, I recently changed my coolant (VQT, thanks for the info on the filler plug locations). My car seems to be running a little higher than normal too... I used that 10 quick flush by Preston, refilled with Zerex coolant/distilled water, checked all hoses/clamps/drain plug, etc.. I also replaced the thermostat/gasket(dealer parts)...

As for getting it removed and cleaned out at a radiator shop, How good is this method or should I purchase another one?

Would a 95 SC4 radiator fit on a 92 SC4?(the radiator should work, should'nt it?)

What about the temp sensor?

How high does your temp hand go after 10 - 45 minutes in traffic with the A/C on(or off)?

The Ikon

Old 05-17-01, 12:24 AM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Post quote

hope this helps.

WEBGOD

Old 05-17-01, 12:26 AM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Lightbulb

Webgod, I'll try this in the morning... Thanks...

Any one else?
Old 05-17-01, 05:36 AM
RealMarty
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Marty (TRE is it running hot now?)

Originally posted by The Ikon

As for getting it removed and cleaned out at a radiator shop, How good is this method or should I purchase another one?

If you do Ikon's fan test and the fan is pulling in air it sounds like you need to have the radiator checked by a pro. Doesn't mean you have to let them do the work if you choose to replace it yourself, but it's probably time for a professional diagnosis.

You can buy rebuilt radiators and, of course, used ones and do the work yourself if it turns out you need to replace it.
Old 05-17-01, 10:27 AM
mindflux
Pole Position

95 radiator fits 92 perfectly...only difference is the coolant level sensor in the reservoir in the 92, 95 do not have it.

Mind
Old 05-17-01, 10:54 AM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Thanks Mind. I can use my reservoir, Hey could this sensor be bad?

When I get home later, I will try what "Webgod" suggested. Webgod, Marty, Lextek, anyone who knows this simple test... what will be the point of holding the hood up, on a SC you can hold the rag in the front of the radiator/condenser thru the lower grill area? Or am I missing something?

Honestly, we can't tell is the coolant is flowing good because you can't just look in the top of the radiator as you can other cars to observe the flow of coolant with the heat on high. Can we? Is it possible to determine? So how can a radiator shop determine, what will they look for?(I want to make sure they are not going to pull the wool over my eyes!)
Old 05-17-01, 12:38 PM
webgod

Is this the orginal radiator on your SC? Is the plastic one? When I bought my sc, the plastic radiator was leaking so I had it changed with new steel one.

Moe/webgod
Old 05-17-01, 01:19 PM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Default Moe

It's the original one. Also how much did a better one cost?
Old 05-17-01, 02:04 PM
webgod

I had a major service done to my lexus when I bought it. But the I called several lexus dealers and the radiator was around 300-500. You might want to check with other dealers, all dealers dont charge the same amount.

moe
Old 05-17-01, 02:51 PM
RealMarty
Lexus Test Driver

Default Don't Go To The Dealer

No need to go to the dealer and pay big $ for the factory radiator.

Go to a radiator shop. They may be able to replace just the core. Even if they can't you'll pay much, much less for a new aftermarket radiator.

You can even try the salvage yards. These days many of them will guarantee the parts they sell.

Quick Reply: ??? COOLANT/RADIATOR Question ???