SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Another puppy is born...(56K beware)

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-04, 05:24 PM
qtb33
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Another puppy is born...(56K beware)

I finally got the Pro Kit on with new KYB GR-2's. The ride is great for a daily driven car. No clunks or ratttles. I actually got rid of some front suspension noise.

It dosn't seem to look as low in the pictures as it really sits in person. Oh well, enjoy.

Before:

After: The car was a bit dirty and it was too cold to be washing it today.

Last edited by qtb33; 11-29-04 at 07:18 AM.
Old 11-28-04, 05:25 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 359 Likes on 229 Posts

Old 11-28-04, 05:45 PM
jtnomoney
Rookie

the fronts look higher than the rear, are you sure you didnt put the rear springs in the front and front springs in the rear?
Old 11-28-04, 05:55 PM
qtb33
Lead Lap

Originally posted by jtnomoney
the fronts look higher than the rear, are you sure you didnt put the rear springs in the front and front springs in the rear?
Are you serious? You can't, it's impossible

if you follow the body lines they will show the rear wells are lower than the fronts. Since it's a 1" drop front and rear, it's exaggerated. I'm sure most people with coilovers rake the car's ride hight so it looks even.
Old 11-28-04, 06:20 PM
jtnomoney
Rookie

Originally posted by qtb33
Are you serious? You can't, it's impossible

if you follow the body lines they will show the rear wells are lower than the fronts. Since it's a 1" drop front and rear, it's exaggerated. I'm sure most people with coilovers rake the car's ride hight so it looks even.
actually it is possible. i used to own a couple supras and from what i've seen some supra guys on supraforums have accidentally put the fronts in the rears and rears into the fronts...causing it to look very high in the front and very tucked in the rear. the car is still driveable, but ride quality is compromised. the SC300 suspension is basically the same as the supra.
Old 11-28-04, 08:07 PM
qtb33
Lead Lap

From what I saw, the mounting points are the same, hence the parts are interchangable. But the perches from the front to rear are vastly different. I'll have to look for a picture to show you.

Here:
Attached Thumbnails Another puppy is born...(56K beware)-copy-of-pro-kit-001.jpg  
Old 11-28-04, 08:09 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 359 Likes on 229 Posts

He's hauling bodies

(does look that way though)
Old 11-28-04, 08:10 PM
qtb33
Lead Lap

You'll see the left ones are the rear and the right is the rear. The top plate will fit, but the perch for the shock will not. The front and rear mounting points are different as well so that rules that out.
Old 11-28-04, 08:12 PM
qtb33
Lead Lap

Originally posted by O. L. T.
He's hauling bodies

(does look that way though)
Actually now that you mention that, the trunk was full of the old springs, which are not light, and misc other stuff including the spare tire and wheel. That may lower it some. I'll have to remove everything and take more pictures.

Good point
Old 11-28-04, 09:10 PM
newyorksc
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

nice car man
Old 11-28-04, 09:33 PM
One HoT
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The GS wheels, the color and the drop completes the look..
Old 11-28-04, 10:00 PM
nextlevelcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

tight but, how about a tail spoiler?
Old 11-28-04, 11:10 PM
UpInTheLex
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

ProKit looks really good. Makes the stock ride look like a pickup truck.
is the eibach/kyb setup for the SC or the Supra? I'm assuming SC.

Not sure if you've had enough driving time on the new setup to realize all of the benefits, but let me know if you get a big improvment in the steering wheel returning to center faster after turning. Akerman principal I think it's called. I was thinking about it and with a stiffer shock and lowered suspension height the steering would naturally return to center more efficiently.

Also I was wondering if when you go over uneven large bumps while driving slowly and turning, does the steering wheel get ripped out of your hand. hehe its kinda hard for me to type what i'm really talking about.. I can remember going over some tree roots once while driving through the forest on a trail, I was going 5mph prolly, maybe 10 and i hit those roots and the steering wheel turned due to uneveness of the roots, I was thinking if the car had new shocks it wouldn't do that anymore.

Anyway i'm rambing with some rather random questions here...

Good night.
Old 11-29-04, 06:30 AM
qtb33
Lead Lap

Originally posted by UpInTheLex
ProKit looks really good. Makes the stock ride look like a pickup truck.
is the eibach/kyb setup for the SC or the Supra? I'm assuming SC.

Not sure if you've had enough driving time on the new setup to realize all of the benefits, but let me know if you get a big improvment in the steering wheel returning to center faster after turning. Akerman principal I think it's called. I was thinking about it and with a stiffer shock and lowered suspension height the steering would naturally return to center more efficiently.

Also I was wondering if when you go over uneven large bumps while driving slowly and turning, does the steering wheel get ripped out of your hand. hehe its kinda hard for me to type what i'm really talking about.. I can remember going over some tree roots once while driving through the forest on a trail, I was going 5mph prolly, maybe 10 and i hit those roots and the steering wheel turned due to uneveness of the roots, I was thinking if the car had new shocks it wouldn't do that anymore.

Anyway i'm rambing with some rather random questions here...

Good night.
The kit is for the SC.

As far and steering wheel return to center, I haven't noticed much, but I havn't put to many miles on it yet and we just got some snow last night so I doubt I'll really be able to tell much now.

I believe you are talking about bump steer in your last paragraph. I noticed before I lowered it that I had some, nothing of concern but alittle.

I am about 100% certain that I need new bushings very badly. I should have checked them over while we did the alignment but it was late and my only concern was getting done so I could goto bed. Almost all of my rear bolts for alignment we corroided to the point where we had to soak them in penetrating fluid for several hours before the were even able to be adjusted.

FYI: The car was aligned on a laser rack after about 20 miles of hard cornering.
Old 11-29-04, 12:39 PM
UpInTheLex
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Yeah I had a few of the rear bolts stuck on my car and after 2 times on the rack they guy finally got a good alignment out of the car.

Are you concerned that your bad bushings will have an adverse effect on the new shocks? I have some new shocks/springs sitting ready to be installed but I'm worried that my bushings will allow the suspension angles to be off ever so slightly, which would push the ram of the shock in at an angle thereby damaging the shock. I know the front suspension on this car is very tempermental and sensitive.

Quick Reply: Another puppy is born...(56K beware)