SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

What color is this car, please???

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-04, 01:02 PM
aliga
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

this ferrari guy is about to get scammed, so let him hide the price, he does not want our valuable feedback.

edit: initially the dealer said it had scuffs on the bumper, now it has damage on the rear fender????

Last edited by aliga; 12-03-04 at 01:11 PM.
Old 12-03-04, 01:21 PM
DM-S4
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Plus we all already have SC's, LOL!
Old 12-03-04, 01:54 PM
boobstar
Lexus Test Driver

I was thinking the exact same thing.
Old 12-03-04, 01:58 PM
Technics
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got photos of your car and I know the price. The plates gave it away.

Don't worry, we're just trying to be helpful. No one is going to steal your SC or blow up your spot. Just looking out for a fellow CL member on a potential scam.

Last edited by Technics; 12-03-04 at 02:07 PM.
Old 12-03-04, 02:14 PM
aliga
Former Sponsor

the picture link gave it away.
Old 12-03-04, 02:14 PM
Technics
Lexus Champion

You might want to look up some local CL NJ members and see if they can personally take a look at the car for you.
Old 12-03-04, 02:18 PM
Technics
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by aliga
the picture link gave it away.
I checked the location first, link second.
Old 12-03-04, 03:15 PM
MyF355Spid
Driver School Candidate

All right sorry guys,
I guess I'm used to a different crowd. Gotta remember I am in a Lexus forum, BUT there are other people on here looking to buy too.
They're down to 13k on it from 14k, 80k miles.
Frankly, being in an accident is not that big of a deal to me. I'd just like to know the details. The reason I say that is because my current car has been in a few, and it always comes back better than it went in. So as long as it's quality work, no need to be alarmed. The next mission I guess will be to find someone to check it out for me.

Really don't wanna enter and already be on y'alls bad side. So I apologize if I offended by not disclosing price.

My first immediate thought was this, but it could be completely wrong:

As I mentioned earlier the color changed between 1997 and 1998 with the same code. The body shop repainted using the 1997 color, which is why it would have been off. If they didn't realize the mistake, they would be forced to repaint the entire car in the 1997 color so it was uniform.

Sounds logical to me, but I could be putting stuff in my head to make me want it when I should just pass.

Plan at this point is to hold off, get it checked out , try to talk them down a little more, and keep looking. I would like to buy in 10-14 days, so that gives me a little more time. If it's still there and checks out okay, go for it...

But please, any advice is welcomed. Tell me I'm an idiot and/or put me in line.
I usually try to be a faily common sense guy, and while I am fairly cautious of scams, especially with such a big purchase, I also tend to trust that people tell the truth (probably not the best thing right now).

As to the discrepency, I talked to two different salesman, and only made a few notes with the first guy. They claim they bought the car from a dealership who had it as a trade-in, and the story they gave is the only info they had on it....which is a little scary.

Thanks. Thanks. Thanks.
Steven
Old 12-03-04, 03:31 PM
boobstar
Lexus Test Driver

Just run the vin first off...if nothing more than to find out how many other owners it had. In regards to the whole car being repainted over some spots....I have a 97 and my paint is pretty dull in some areas and I plan on having the whole car resprayed just because I want it all to be new paint not brand new paint on the hood and then 8 year old paint on the door. Might not be a scam in my opinion. That price sounds great in my opinion.
Old 12-03-04, 03:56 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default what?

Originally posted by MyF355Spid
Got a confirmation on the Paint Code, 1A0, which means Platinum Metallic. Going to look into having an inspection done. They are standing by their story that the rear fender was dented and replaced, didn't match, and so the entire car was repainted. Not completely farfetched, but definitely atypical. No way to confrim with previous owner anyways.

CarFax is clean, but as others have stated, doesn't always tell the whole truth.

Not going to disclose price until I decide whether to pass or not.

I just don't like the blue in it I guess. I wish I could see one in person to know for sure though. I'll have to get a better report and waitng on more pictures.
Thanks
Steven

There may be others but I never heard anyone say they didn't like Platinum. You should see my platinumsc when it's freshly cleaned. In the sunlight it does a color change in some spots. The light bounces off it. Reminds me of a diamond the way it reflects light. Black was my favorite color but this platinum is sooo sweeet.
Old 12-03-04, 04:59 PM
silversprucesc3
Lexus Champion

And if anybody tries to jump this members deal
they will have serious problems...
Old 12-03-04, 07:03 PM
aliga
Former Sponsor

have a nj member check all the body panels to see if any were changed.
Old 12-03-04, 11:40 PM
MyF355Spid
Driver School Candidate

Default Need NJ/PA member help PLEASE!!

If you want to see my other thread, it should be near the top: "What color is this car, please?"

I was wondering if anyone would be available to check out this SC400 for me. I would prefer if you are an SC owner and/or know a lot about these cars specfically. If you are neither, then I would still love to take your advice, at least about body panel fit/finish.

Car is currently in Delran, NJ, which I understand is near Philadelphia/Trenton area.

I am seriously considering buying it, and want a neutral party to examine mechanical and/or bodywork, as well as general vibes from the sellers or anything else you can provide.

So please, if you are in the area, and willing to help a fellow CL member out, PM or reply here and we can work out details.

Thanks a ton,
Really Really want someone to help me out...
Steven
Old 12-03-04, 11:44 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 350 Likes on 226 Posts

forum spam =

Threads merged.

Please visit our regional forums near the bottom of the forum index and you will see the state that applies to you and post there.

Thanks.
Old 12-03-04, 11:51 PM
MyF355Spid
Driver School Candidate

Thanks O.L.T.,
My bad...Didn't think about it being that way, since they are related, but different subjects, and the title wouldn't bring the right audience.
JW, so are you saying it is okay to post in the regional thread too, or I should move that last post.
Thanks
Steven

Quick Reply: What color is this car, please???