SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

SC300 Buying

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-01, 05:24 PM
Camshaft
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am about to buy an 92 SC300, green, with 107k miles. He is a truthful guy that I have known and won't screw me. The passenger door was backed into, and repainted. I know this will present a problem in the future, anyone know what will happen? I plan on using either Zaino or Meguires, but how will this hold up? I presume the re-painting was not done at a Lexus dealer. Also, the passenger side mirror has popped off and all attempts to glue it back on have failed. Anyone tried JBweld or just bought a new mirror? I plan on using Mobil 1, Red Line tranny fluid, rear grease, and coolant. Anyone have any ideas on what I should look for when I go over it with a fine tooth comb this weekend as well as tips to getting the most out of my future Lexus? Also, I will get Lexol for the leather. Nak subwoofer? Going to be gone for a Fosgate 10" and an Orion Cobalt amp. Any tips from experience would be greatly appreciated for the whole buying process.
Old 05-09-01, 08:48 PM
garnet92
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Welcome!

Shutdown20: Welcome to Lexville – sounds like you’ve got a good handle on the products. Re: the door – if the window and motor don’t labor during raise or lower, the tracks, mounts, etc. are probably aligned ok – if the door acts like you think it would if you didn’t know it had been bashed, don’t worry about it (the paint’s another matter). As far as the things to look for – personally, I think you ought to have a QUALIFIED Lexus mechanic look it over – not to challenge your bud, just to know what you can expect in the next year or so. You can check out many threads on this site that offer tips on weak spots for the SC. It’s a fine car, there aren’t many. You can narrow it down to 6-8 areas that seem to be troublesome as the car ages. Gauge needles, timing belt, power steering pump, driver’s leather seat wear, and a couple of others that escape memory right now. Also check out the Maintenance section. Best of luck with your “new” Lex.
Old 05-09-01, 10:06 PM
Camshaft
Lead Lap

On the power steering problem, is there anyway to manufacture a drip pan that will channel any dripping power steering fluid away from the alternator, or should I pop the hood every other day to look at the hoses for leeks. I am pretty good at fabrication, and I figure if I come up with anything I can have it powdercoated for looks. I am suprised that more posters do not suggest powdercoating. I dont recommend it for your pullys, the powdercoating will not last, and anything exposed to constant contact. How will aftermarket paint hold up over the years compared to original Lexus paint? Also, I have heard that the R-13a conversion kit from R-12 in typical American cars does not blow as cold, or in other words, not worth a crap. Are some kits more effective on different vehicles? Also, does the Optima either Red or Yellow Top batteries fit in the Lexus?

As of now I know of these problems:
AC center vent cracking
power steering pump
Dash needles
drivers seat wear
alternator
timing belt
door hinges
small ground cable off of battery
fuel pump ECU
weak subframe
lack of aftermarket support
car stereo install issues
no passenger side airbag
Old 05-10-01, 06:23 AM
1stLexus
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On the power steering issue, if you are getting a 300 don't worry about it. On my 95 the power steering pump is on one side of the engine and the alt. on the other. I think the V-8's are packaged right on top of each other though.

A 92 model year should work fine with the conversion. It is the older cars with their less efficient compressors, and cooling that do not perform as well with 134a. I think IKON said he did the conversion on his and he lives in the south so if it does not cool as well he should know.
Old 05-10-01, 11:18 AM
mdfdsc300
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

first welcome. Wasn't there s post/warning about using Redline tranny fluid? I was under the impression that was a no-no.
Old 05-11-01, 12:52 AM
Camshaft
Lead Lap

I have not heard anything about Red Line tranny fluid. Anyone use Gator belts? or do they even make them for the SC. Also, about the Optima batteries? Most half serious audiophiles and performance gurus use them. Also, I heard the PIAA super brights are a really good match with the SCs. Confirm?