How long is too long?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-04, 04:36 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default How long is too long?

Guys,

I dropped off my car on Friday morning at a shop where the owners are 2 certified Lexus mechanics because of my car problem ( car dying when brake is pressed) and they called me back that evening saying it was ready. They said they just unplugged the brake switch and replugged it. I said cool - went there and they said don't worry about it - free.

So I'm excited as my car has not been driveable in 3 months.

I get in my car and make it about half a mile when the car starts chugging and dies. I think I am just out of gas so I get a friend to come pick me up, bring me to the gas station and then we get back to the car.

I try to start the car and as soon as I put my foot on the brake - same ***** happens.

So now I am mad. They gave me my car back claiming it was fixed when obviously it wasn't. I call them but no-one answers - they are gone for the weekend.

I end up calling a tow truck ( even though I am less than half a mile away from the shop - was all uphill so I wasn't gonna try to push it!!) I drop it off there on Fri night as they have a drop-box thing.

I filled out the form saying that the same thing happened.

They would have gotten it Monday morning. It is now Wed night and they still have not even called me. I drove past there today and my car was there so I know they have the car.

I didn't wanna bug them so I didn't go inside - but I am thinking they should have at least called by now. I have brought my car to them several times and they know me by name. I know that my car was there before a lot of the other cars that were there. I just feel bad *****in at them cuz they did the last thing for free ( even though it wasn't even fixed!)

Should I call them and ask them what the deal is? Or should I give them another couple of days?

Peace,
Jonny
Old 12-15-04, 04:45 PM
soarer479
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

deffinatly call never hurts to know whats going on just be polite about it ... i mean it is your car u deserve to know whats up with it
Old 12-15-04, 05:04 PM
audi2nr
Lexus Test Driver

Default problem...

so your car dies when u press on the brake? sounds like a vacuum leak at the breakbooster... your car should die if you unplug the brake booster vacuum line because thats a huge vacuum leak. only cars i've really seen that not happen to are the audis. . tell us about the problem please, i didnt get to read your previous write up

Last edited by audi2nr; 12-15-04 at 05:07 PM.
Old 12-15-04, 05:20 PM
RalAegidius
Lead Lap

In your place I would be calling them daily about it, and if I didn't get any answer or satisfactory reply, have the car taken somewhere else and file a complaint with them, the BBB, and ask for your money back on the supposed "fix". You are obliged to give them a chance to make it right, but if they refuse or they ignore you, screw 'em.
Old 12-15-04, 05:23 PM
audi2nr
Lexus Test Driver

Default problems

ok so i found your other post in the other forum, i would get your car back, call the bbb on those jerks. go to another shop and ask them to test your brake booster for leaks, all they gotta do is hook a handheld vacuum pump to the vacuum line on the booster and see if it holds a vacuum, if not cant hold a vacuum then toss it and get a new one. if it holds a vacuum then u got another problem.

Last edited by audi2nr; 12-15-04 at 05:24 PM.
Old 12-15-04, 09:24 PM
CP_Ree
Lexus Test Driver

Honestly, call them, and talk to them. But, from a shop perspective, DON'T expect them to work on your car right away. They, like many other shops have schedules and cars on that schedule to work on otherwise, they will back themselves up. You should just give them a call and ask for an estimated time when they could get around to it. I know from personal experience how it is when someone wants their car to be the priority and it sucks getting *****ed at because everyone thinks their car is more important than others. Patience and communication are very important in cases like this. Just my .02

About the guys who said to file a BBB report, whatever. He said they didn't charge him anything and if they honestly thought it was fixed, it's not their fault. If you were a mechanic in that position, you would've done the same thing.

Last edited by CP_Ree; 12-15-04 at 09:27 PM.
Old 12-15-04, 09:33 PM
Spottty
Rookie

Umm, how is he gonna get his money back? Read the post people, they didnt charge him anything. And the BBB thing is rediculous. If they charged you an arm and a leg then ya, but they were nice about it so just call back and tell them the problem is still there. They already know its gotta be something else.

Unlike what most people think there can be more than one problem and sometimes it just doesnt happen when a mechanic looks at (I think its Murphy's Law). My beater is a perfect example. It runs fine infront of a tech and as soon as I leave it will stall.
Old 12-15-04, 09:54 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light
Forum Moderator

Received 363 Likes on 231 Posts

How long is too long?
I'm not even going to touch this question.

.....but as far as the car goes , it was a freebie, which equals automatically your right to beyach about it is out the door unless damage occured, which it didn't. So politely call them and see how progress is going, suggest that you would like a real estimate on when things may be finished, and hang up the phone.

Last edited by O. L. T.; 12-15-04 at 09:55 PM.
Old 12-16-04, 11:04 AM
SC XCII
Driver School Candidate

Hey Jonny:
Did you ever get your tail lights working? If so, what was it?
Old 12-16-04, 02:55 PM
RalAegidius
Lead Lap

I didn't catch the first time reading through that this last repair was a freebie. Oops. Nevermind what I said.
Old 12-17-04, 01:43 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by SC XCII
Hey Jonny:
Did you ever get your tail lights working? If so, what was it?
Hey man,

No I didn't ever work it out. I am going to replace the whole drivers side wiring harness so we will see what that does.

I ended up using "Add a circuit" and running a separate wire from my headlights. That way when my headlights are on my tails will work.

I will keep trying to find out where the problem lies, but until then I at least have headlights.

Peace,
Jonny
Old 12-17-04, 01:45 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Guys,

I called the shop twice today and left a message. They didn't call me back. I am pretty annoyed about the whole thing as they have had my car for a week and haven't even given me a phonecall. They are closed on weekends so it will be Monday before they are even open.

I would go get my car but the thing doesn't drive

Damn my luck has to change soon!

Peace,
Jonny
Old 12-17-04, 04:47 PM
audi2nr
Lexus Test Driver

ok u have gone through tooo much man, get your car and find a new shop, and as for them doing the brake thing for free, what did they do, THEY FREGGIN UNPLUGGED SOMETHING AND PLUGGED IT BACK IN!!! i dont call that work therefore i wouldnt expect being charged for it plus it didnt help fix it at all. bring it to a new shop and tell them to test your brake booster to see if thats the problem. also did u have a hard time braking? if u did then thats another clue as to your car dying problem. if its hard to brake u arent getting the vacuum assist that the booster should provide, which means theres a hole or tear somewhere in the diaphram inside the booster.
Old 12-17-04, 05:20 PM
Senator
Lexus Champion

Johnny, damn sorry to hear this. I am going to call you tonight so we can grab a beer. I'll pick you up. I mean, I can't be on here for to much longer because of the update in all so yeah,. But, I am driving the old Nissan tonight!!!!!! woot woot woot. The Tang' wagon!!! at any rate I am gonna get cleaned and I'll ring you up.

Josh