SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Well, I Just Got a Leak

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-04, 01:03 PM
Big Pookie
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Well, I Just Got a Leak

I was going to put my new speakers in the doors when I found that section was wet. I have tried looking for a leak, but I have not found it. It appears that water collects only around the speaker area.
Attached Thumbnails Well, I Just Got a Leak-dscf0634.jpg  
Old 12-31-04, 01:12 PM
Big Pookie
Pole Position

The carpeting on the door was the only area that was really soaked.
Attached Thumbnails Well, I Just Got a Leak-dscf0637.jpg  
Old 12-31-04, 01:31 PM
Dew23
Lexus Champion

Check the drain holes at the bottom of the door to make sure sure they are clean.
Old 12-31-04, 01:34 PM
Lexiss_sc430
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you are looking for a hole you probably wont find one because, the gap between your window and the actual door panel never fully seals and you usually have some leakage through there. That little rubber sealer starts to crack and dry-out through the years and it does not give you a tight seal. I really don’t think you should worry too much about how the water is getting in there, but how the water is still collecting in there. There are suppose to be a few drain holes and the bottom of each door so when water gets in it can just as easily drip out. I would say find these holes and see if they are plugged, if they are just clean them out and you should be back in good shape.

Tommy
sorry for the really crappy picture
Attached Thumbnails Well, I Just Got a Leak-untitled.jpg  
Old 12-31-04, 01:45 PM
Big Pookie
Pole Position

Thanks Guys,
I checked the drain holes and they are clean, it does seem that water came out of them. I am just worried that my speakers will get damaged. It's been raining in California for a week, with more to come.

Last edited by Big Pookie; 12-31-04 at 01:55 PM.
Old 12-31-04, 03:54 PM
RTLEXSC
Rookie

Default Here's the fix to your leak

I had the same problem with mine.I mean exactly the same as what you are describing. Another member sent me this inf.and it did the trick.Read on.

Hey RTLEXSC,

I recently "finally" solved the annoying wet carpet in my car. There are several different areas to look at, sunroof drains, weather seals, outter window belt moudling, etc... On my car, all those pieces were replaced and still had wet carpets. I finally solved the issue. Here is the post, hope it helps...

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I had the same issue with damp carpets every time it rained.

Finally had it, and with the new leather seats going in I decided to gut out the entire interior and clean everything up. I also took the opportunity to investigate the damp carpet situation.

Previously I had replaced all the door seals and checked the sunroof drain lines. No issues with those. After gutting the interior, I had a friend spray water over the vehicle as I sat inside. Sure enough, a puddle of water started forming in the footwell area.

As I traced the water trail, it had actually trickled in from the plastic service hole cover (window regulator access hole cover). The plastic covers in my car had been ripped and torn from previous services. The water would flow down the window, past the belt moulding and onto the plastic cover. And instead of trickling down to the drain holes on the inside of the door, it would seep into the interior.

This would also explain the wet/discolored carpet trim on the lower door trim. The water would track along the lower edge of the door and onto the door panel trim. And eventually it would trickle down into the footwell areas.

I replaced both covers and sealed them with silicone. I retested after, and guess what, NO MORE WATER LEAKING IN!!!

So far this has solved the problem, no more leaks, no more damp carpets, no more foul, damp smelling carpet.

So if you have a leak, and you've checked the rubber mouldings, checked the sunroof drainage pipe and still get wet carpets when it rains, check the plastic service hole coverings. Make sure they make a nice tight seal around the opening and that water cannot make it past any openings or rips in the plastic.

Good Luck!
LexusBiz
Old 12-31-04, 04:51 PM
Big Pookie
Pole Position

RTLEXSC
So, I should just replace these things and put a bunch of silicone around them?
Attached Thumbnails Well, I Just Got a Leak-dscf0636.jpg