SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Big Plans for the SC - take a look!

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-05, 05:56 AM
newyorksc
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Default Big Plans for the SC - take a look!

i've decided to sell my sneaker collection and jackets so I will have a lot of extra income within the next months. I have big plans for the sc300 but i need your constructice criticism. tell me what you think.. and what I should do first.

Suspension
1. Daizen Sway Bar Set $500
2. Sway Bar Bushings $30
3. Front Control Arm Bushing Set $100
4. Rear Control Arm Bushing Set $160
6 Cusco Front Strut Tower Bar (Flat Type OS) $200
7. Tein Flex Coilover Assembly (without EDFC) $1300

Exhaust
1. Xerd Headers
2. C-One Motorsport Exhaust or JIC Twin Bullet $1650 (undecided)

Brakes
1. Supra Calipers + Brake Pads $500
2. Slotted Rotors $500
3. SS Lines $500

Exterior
1. Auto Couture Aero Kit - $1960
2. 97+ Fog Lights $150
3. 97+ Taillights $250
4. 97+ Rear Wing $150
5. 97+ Grille Insert $50
6. 97+ Lower Door Mouldings $200
7. Clear Side Markers $150
8. Body Shop Work (Minor shaving, moulding, & new color paint) $3000

Wheels
1. Iforged Aero 20"

If there is anything else that you would suggest I add please let me know. Also, let me know what you think of the prices, companies, perhaps something out there is better.

Thanks
Old 01-06-05, 07:13 AM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Replies in bold.

1. Daizen Sway Bar Set $500 Necessity.
2. Sway Bar Bushings $30 Necessity.
3. Front Control Arm Bushing Set $100 Required.
4. Rear Control Arm Bushing Set $160 Required.
6 Cusco Front Strut Tower Bar (Flat Type OS) $200 Pretty, but doesn't do much for the money. This could wait if cash is tight.
7. Tein Flex Coilover Assembly (without EDFC) $1300 No brainer, must have coilovers.

Exhaust
1. Xerd Headers Good luck getting your hands on these.
2. C-One Motorsport Exhaust or JIC Twin Bullet $1650 (undecided) Too much money for pipes IMO.

Brakes
1. Supra Calipers + Brake Pads $500 Too expensive. My entire LS4 upgrade (rotors, calipers, pads) was $191.
2. Slotted Rotors $500 For street use, it's really just for looks. Not necessary and standard rotors are $30.
3. SS Lines $500 OUCH. Seems expensive, full sets are like $125?

Exterior
1. Auto Couture Aero Kit - $1960 Excellent choice.
2. 97+ Fog Lights $150
3. 97+ Taillights $250
4. 97+ Rear Wing $150
5. 97+ Grille Insert $50
8. Body Shop Work (Minor shaving, moulding, & new color paint) $3000.

All the above seems appropriate.

Wheels
1. Iforged Aero 20" Mmmm... My fave iForged. Good choice.

If there is anything else that you would suggest I add please let me know. Also, let me know what you think of the prices, companies, perhaps something out there is better.

Turbo kit. HID retro. New leather seats.

Good luck! I have basically everything you listed. Good stuff.
Old 01-06-05, 07:58 AM
sourcemine
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What the heck are you basing the needs on? Track Car? Money Pit? Panty Dropper? What is your goal in the car?

Thats 12K in mods without the wheels.. you can get a whole other faster car to begin with for that money... which you'll never EVER see again...

Unless your car is on pimp my ride, I'd seriously do some more research before splurging on all that stuff, and dropping some serious $$$ on what may be crap.

You will appreciate your car much more if you take your time....

Do the brake upgrade, enjoy them for a few weeks, than do the suspension, enjoy it... than add a tower bar, see if it does anything... enjoy it..

Body kits should be done LAST, all show and no go is lame... Enjoy it as a sleeper first..

What about engine upgrades? ECU upgrade?

Is the car in already showroom new condition? everything is new? windows motors or weird stuff isnt bought to fail soon?

Go through the stages and enjoy it one at a time, or else you'll never get the full experience out of modding.
Old 01-06-05, 08:51 AM
SPORTcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by CleanSC
3. SS Lines $500 OUCH. Seems expensive, full sets are like $125?

Originally Posted by sourcemine
Panty Dropper?
I'm still trying to figure out which mods do this.
Old 01-06-05, 09:57 AM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SPORTcoupe

I'm still trying to figure out which mods do this.
Alan...the answer is cash, confidence, and a tad bit of being an a-hole (I'm more than a tad). The car has little to do with it, most chicks never even see my car until it's too late and I already have them in my trap! muhaaaa muhaaa!

In terms of all those mods my logic is this...upgrade the brakes when you upgrade the power, same time. Like Jose said just get the LS brakes. The Supra ones seem overrated and overpriced unless you're building a show car. Screw the body kit, they do nothing. Half that stuff you named just looks pretty, nothing more. Those control arm bushings should be at or near the top of your list, that's basic maintenance.

And if you're gonna sell a bunch of used sneakers and jackets to raise this amount of money you must have one helluva collection. Probably puts my collection of Jordans and leather jackets to shame, lol. Keep pimpin'
Old 01-06-05, 10:20 AM
MongolKhan
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1993SCTT
i've decided to sell my sneaker collection and jackets so I will have a lot of extra income within the next months. I have big plans for the sc300 but i need your constructice criticism. tell me what you think.. and what I should do first.

Suspension
2. Sway Bar Bushings $30

Exhaust
1. Xerd Headers

Brakes
2. Slotted Rotors $500
3. SS Lines $500
Exterior can wait, just get all these. Just wondering why SS lines cost $500?
Old 01-06-05, 10:21 AM
newyorksc
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

thank you for all the comments, i appreciate it.

I would like to reply to some of the comments you've given me though.

n terms of all those mods my logic is this...upgrade the brakes when you upgrade the power, same time.
I agree, although, wheels like Iforged Aeros are simple 5 spoke design and almost all of the rotor and caliper are visible.. which it why i'd like to upgrade to a nice clean look and rid my tiny 2" rotors and rusty calipers (paint won't do the job).

Thats 12K in mods without the wheels.. you can get a whole other faster car to begin with for that money... which you'll never EVER see again...
you are right, i was thinking the same thing, although that "other faster car" won't be an sc300 or if it is, it wouldn't look as good. i noticed that a lot of people say go for power first, however, i noticed most of the users who have said this like in cali or "open road states" but living in NYC, I rarely go above 90 unless i'm at the 1/4 mile or track. i would rather just do my body work first, and keep this engine running stock in the time being, and then once i'm done with my other mods, its all engine from there =P.

Half that stuff you named just looks pretty, nothing more. Those control arm bushings should be at or near the top of your list, that's basic maintenance.
Thats true, although i'm going for show first.. because my engine is going to be running strong for lets say at least 2 years.. but my body is not running strong lol (chipping paint, crack front bumper, stock 15" wheels.). I figure i have the car, and i might as well enjoy it with the looks because its kind of hard to enjoy it with power without anyplace to use it. eventually, will do power.. thats a promise.

Screw the body kit, they do nothing.
Already placed the order for the autocouture after weeks of serious thought. Really makes the car look up to date (2005) as opposed to 1993.

1. Xerd Headers Good luck getting your hands on these.
Sorry, forgot to mention that i already purchased a couple of the parts. These are actually at the post office right now (wasn't home yesterday so i missed the drop off).

Do the brake upgrade, enjoy them for a few weeks, than do the suspension, enjoy it.
This is a good way to mod, i agree, but what should i do if my brake upgrade won't clear my currently wheels (oem 15"), so then I should get the iforged and then put on the brakes? But then with the iforged, i definately need to get the coilovers or else it'll look like a 4x4.. and with the iforged 20" will look wierd without a body kit and crusty paint, so then i might as well bring it to the shop and get fenders mods and while their at it put on all other 97 parts.. the last thing i'd probably do is the exhaust.. but then again i think it is the first thing i should do since i need some time for it to break in.. hah, i guess i have some more thinking to do.. but either way.. i will piece the car together, and once i'm done with the list above (of course with some revisions), i will work on the engine.. either swap a 2jz and tranny for another 12k or, rebuild current motor and boost.

Once again, thanks for all posts.

Last edited by newyorksc; 01-06-05 at 10:40 AM.
Old 01-06-05, 10:34 AM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Already placed the order for the autocouture after weeks of serious thought. Really makes the car look up to date (2005) as opposed to 1993.

Sorry, forgot to mention that i already purchased a couple of the parts. These are actually at the post office right now (wasn't home yesterday so i missed the drop off).
I'm with you on the body kit. They are not useless. I enjoy my Wald kit very much, thank you. It's a 1992 car but everyone swears it's 2000 (or for the non-car types a 2005)

So where'd you get these headers? Legend has it that they are impossible to find new. Share the love, brother.

Oh and even at stock power levels, the SC needs bigger brakes, period. If you don't believe me, try a panic stop at anything above 60mph and see what happens. It's not pretty. Get it as soon as you get your wheels. Bigger brakes should go hand in hand with wheel upgrades, not just power upgrades.
Old 01-06-05, 11:03 AM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by CleanSC
I'm with you on the body kit. They are not useless. I enjoy my Wald kit very much, thank you. It's a 1992 car but everyone swears it's 2000 (or for the non-car types a 2005)

So where'd you get these headers? Legend has it that they are impossible to find new. Share the love, brother.

Oh and even at stock power levels, the SC needs bigger brakes, period. If you don't believe me, try a panic stop at anything above 60mph and see what happens. It's not pretty. Get it as soon as you get your wheels. Bigger brakes should go hand in hand with wheel upgrades, not just power upgrades.
I like the look of a body kit, it's the other issues that I can't deal with. I already am a nut when I park, and if I had a kit I may kill someone if they cracked it in some random parking lot. I have anger issues, I know that, and this is a major reason why I don't want a body-kit. Plus I'm not sure I want to attrack that much attention just yet, I kinda need to be stealthy around LA sometimes. But I do agree they look good, the 2 mentioned in this thread happen to be 2 of my 3 favorite body kits. I love the Wald, very professional looking and not offensive, not too wild...that's my taste. I also like the AC kit very much, just not as much as the Wald. The other kit I like is the Pheniz Street Attacker, but it's so low in front it's not really suitable for a daily driver.

As for the headers I went to XERD's website and found out they're in Cali, said the headers cost $299.00. I called and left a message but no one has called me back yet. So, share with us how you managed to get them...I need all the info I can get.

Bigger brakes never hurt anything so go ahead, I just meant they're really not a priority for me until I get more power. My SC is so slow I could probably stop it Fred Flintstone style with no problems, lol.
Old 01-06-05, 11:08 AM
morris
Lexus Champion

Suspension
2. Sway Bar Bushings $30

Exhaust
1. Xerd Headers

Brakes
2. Slotted Rotors $500
3. SS Lines $500

Exterior
1. Auto Couture Aero Kit - $1960
2. 97+ Fog Lights $150
3. 97+ Taillights $250
4. 97+ Rear Wing $150
5. 97+ Grille Insert $50
8. Body Shop Work (Minor shaving, moulding, & new color paint) $3000

Wheels
1. Iforged Aero 20"

Thanks

Wait, your going to sell your sneaker collection to buy $10,000.00 worth of mods?

Just how many sneakers do you have?
Old 01-06-05, 11:18 AM
Anthracite SC
Lexus Test Driver

Default Hmmmm

I sold my sneaker collection and leather and got me a hamburger! =)

I think he really wants to get pimped and doesn't really care about the "GO"
SOme guys just want to floss...so going by really FAST doesn't help them when they want to be seen.

Personally if I wanted "GO"..I would've gotten an SC300(which is why I may get one)
Old 01-06-05, 12:00 PM
JZZ30TT
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by morris
Wait, your going to sell your sneaker collection to buy $10,000.00 worth of mods?

Just how many sneakers do you have?

It actually doesn't take that many shoes if you have the right ones. I know I saw some Jordans on ebay sell for about $8,000 a couple months ago. Do a search on ebay for em here are some for $2,000 right now : http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...352145155&rd=1

Mods: I dunno if i can post ebay links, if not feel free to remove it.
Old 01-06-05, 12:17 PM
Chris4.3
Lead Lap

You're a brave man, selling your sneaks! I dont think Ill ever sell my sneaker collection. Anyway, Sway bar set includes bushings and how about the GReddy MX exhaust for $800? Heck Ill save you $400 if you buy my Goodridge SS lines NEW! Good Luck
Old 01-06-05, 12:19 PM
SC300Es
Pole Position

Received 63 Likes on 44 Posts

Is this the car you had in the classifieds?

Decided to keep it?

Ed
Old 01-06-05, 02:03 PM
morris
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by JZZ30TT
It actually doesn't take that many shoes if you have the right ones. I know I saw some Jordans on ebay sell for about $8,000 a couple months ago. Do a search on ebay for em here are some for $2,000 right now : http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...352145155&rd=1

Mods: I dunno if i can post ebay links, if not feel free to remove it.
Dude, you just educated me!!! I had no idea that people paid that kind of money for some 65.00 sneakers.

Good for you

Quick Reply: Big Plans for the SC - take a look!