SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Tyres...

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-01, 03:23 PM
anthracitetarga
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Anyone dealt w/ Sears to get tires? I found the tires I want at The Tire Rack (Pirelli P6000 N1) and was going to order them but when my parents found out that I could order Pirelli tires from Sears, they decided that they really want me to get the tires from them and not order them online. I had a post here about The Tire Rack and everyone said that they were 100% satisified w/ The Tire Rack. I am trying to convince my parents to let me get them from The Tire Rack but my mom said we'll talk about it after exams Is Sears a reputable place to get tires ordered and put on?? Also, at the Pirelli website, they have the P6000 and the P6000 Sport Veloce but not the P6000 N1. At the Tire rack they have the N1's in stock and i don't know if Ssears can get me the N1's.
Old 05-14-01, 05:31 PM
RealMarty
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tirerack Doesn't Install

If you order from Tirerack you'll have to find a shop to do the mounting and balancing.

Not a problem, most shops will do it for a nominal charge and not charge much more (if any) than if you bought the tires from them. Just something extra you need to do if you buy from the net.

You could even buy the tires from Tirerack and have Sears mount them. I' m not a big fan of Sears for anything more complicated than a steel rim. IMHO it's not the home of the highly paid automobile experts, but ...

my .02.

Old 05-14-01, 06:38 PM
vj604
Driver

Default //

hey...watch out when you go to a place like sears to get tires mounted...they arent gonna take care of your rims...

also..tire rack is the way to go..theres no gettin around it. just show your parents the obvious price diference.
Old 05-15-01, 03:15 AM
sc400nos

OK, first of all use some logic here. Tires are tires and money is money. Of course if you order them online you will have to pay shipping and a mounting and balancing fee, but if it is cheaper then do it. Go to sears, see what the total cost for the tires your want will be then go to tirerack and see what the total cost will be. Then take the one that is less and do it.
Old 05-15-01, 03:23 PM
anthracitetarga
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by sc400nos
OK, first of all use some logic here. Tires are tires and money is money. Of course if you order them online you will have to pay shipping and a mounting and balancing fee, but if it is cheaper then do it. Go to sears, see what the total cost for the tires your want will be then go to tirerack and see what the total cost will be. Then take the one that is less and do it.

just to let u know...money isn't an issue for me or my parenst SC400. I want to make sure that i don't get defective tires from online b/c if i did, it would be a lot of trouble to get new ones from the tire rack then from sears, b/c if i got them from sears, i could just take my car back to sears and get good ones.
Old 05-15-01, 03:32 PM
RealMarty
Lexus Test Driver

Nothing to worry about.

You won't need it but IMO you'll get better service from Tirerack than Sears. If you get a defective tire you can either return it to Tirerack or, once it's mounted you can have it replaced at any dealer that carries that brand.

Look, if price is not an issue and your folks are set on Sears why not just do what they want you to? Then if Sears screws up a rim your folks can argue with Sears about replacing them.
Old 05-15-01, 06:59 PM
Harrier
Pole Position

I ordered some tires from the Rack a couple of months back, and they arrived quickly and without any problems. The company's been around for a while, and they're highly acclaimed, so you could be pretty confident in their products. There's nothing wrong with buying your tires from Sears, but like Marty said, Sears isn't the first place I'd think of to go for tires.

We're all here to help, and please excuse us for any assumptions that we blindly make, but it wouldn't hurt to be more welcoming of the opinions of others which you are seeking.
Old 05-15-01, 07:04 PM
anthracitetarga
Lexus Champion

harrier... I am welcome to all help i can get (look at my old forums) but SC400nos has acted like i am the dumbest person in the world to every post he has responded too that i started. I welcome all help, but don't like being treated like i am an idiot.
Old 05-16-01, 08:20 AM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Relax MylexusSC300,
I didn't think SC400nos was out of line on both topics, the lug nuts and tires.
All SC400 said were the pro and con regarding buying tires inline vs buyning tires from a local tires store. By the way I never had problem with tirerack.
As for your lug nuts, obviously you did something wrong while tighten the nuts. Yes you can take a lot of things in your SC300 apart and put it back, at the same time you need to know that there are things in any car if put back incorrectly will hurt you (the driver) and the car.
I believed SC400 was trying to help you, he did not put you down in anyway.
Money is always an issue, just wait until you have to pay for the insurance and the cost of maintenance out of your own poctket (the money that you work for)
No flame intended

Originally posted by MyLexusSC300

just to let u know...money isn't an issue for me or my parenst SC400. I want to make sure that i don't get defective tires from online b/c if i did, it would be a lot of trouble to get new ones from the tire rack then from sears, b/c if i got them from sears, i could just take my car back to sears and get good ones.
Old 05-16-01, 09:00 AM
fever
Lead Lap

NTB is owned by Sears and the former is the best tire company in the states, period, IMO. So I would imagine Sears, the parent company, does a fine job. If it were me I would go to NTB.
Old 05-16-01, 09:37 AM
Keith13b
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Not too proud to admit this, but I worked at sears for about 3 years when I was in College. I didn't work in the automotive dept, but being as I got an employee discount, and knew people in the auto dept, I had my tires changed there reguarly.

Simple rules - Sears will match any competetors price on any tire ... EVEN TIRE RACK!!!!!!!! Just bring in the advertised ad. But first you need to ask sears if they can order the tire. If they can, say you want to buy it, but you want them to match the price. If they say no, ask for a manager and ***** politely. They key is to see if they can order the tire first, if they can, then they can't use the excuse "We don't carry that tire". Sears only carries tires for SUV's and Ford Taurus' (being sarcastic BTW). They only keep popular tires in stock, but can special order almost ANY tire you want. They normally will come within 3-5 working days, though some take a little longer (like my autocrossing tires". If they advertise that they carry a specific manufacture of tire, then they can order any tire that the manufacture makes. Pretty simple, but they can also order "off name" or "rare name" tires too.

Also remember the sales people work off comission (like 8-10%). You go in wanting to buy (4) $200 tires, and they will work with you on the price. They don't care if they have to knock $40 off each tire to price match, they only see their paycheck go up $80 in 5 minutes. Just go to the youngest looking person behind the counter. In reality, no one really gives a ****.

The only problem is the mechanics aren't the most tallented group of individuals either. They make 5$ and hour and most work part time. Yes there is a possibility they will f' up your rim, but if they do, they will buy you another. Have the manager inspect the rims with you prior to installation (heck, have him walk the whole car to show no scratches or dents), then when you get the car back, check to see any damage, if there is - bring it to the managers attention.

Hope this helps,
Keith
Old 05-16-01, 09:51 AM
RealMarty
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by Keith13b
The only problem is the mechanics aren't the most tallented group of individuals either. They make 5$ and hour and most work part time. Yes there is a possibility they will f' up your rim, but if they do, they will buy you another. Have the manager inspect the rims with you prior to installation (heck, have him walk the whole car to show no scratches or dents), then when you get the car back, check to see any damage, if there is - bring it to the managers attention.
Keith13b,

Thanks for the inside info.
Without beating this to death, that's my point. Why take your car somewhere with low quality staff and where you have to walk the car to protect yourself if they cause any damage?

NOT the place I'm bring MY Lexus.
Old 05-16-01, 11:16 AM
marcman18
Driver

For my SC400 I got Pirelli P7000 SuperSports. They were $127ea from tire rack. At any other retail store it would have been close to $200ea. The 7000s have a 40k-45k tread warranty.
Old 05-17-01, 12:16 AM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Exclamation

I have to agree with the fellow members on the post in the quality of service provided. I've used Tire rack and www.Discounttire.com (I like discount tire better JMO) They both offer great service, knowledge, price$$$, and turn around is relatively quick 2-3 days depending on your location.

I used the 17" Super sports on my previous 300ZX and then I changed to Nittos... Go on line first if you have the chance...IMO...

Now "MyLex" on a couple of post you have alluded to "Nos" thinking you are the dumbest person... This is an cyber car club basically... Let's keep all gripes and differences at a minimum! I spend a lot of time here too and "Nos" has been pleasant to replies and so have you. We are ADULTS here if not in AGE but in character and demeanor... Let's keep this site free from all the BULL$#IT that exist on the many other sites out there!!! Let's keep our skin on and realize that everyone does not have to agree with your/my/our opinions...

I have been debated by others on this forum, SO WHAT.. Let's agree to disagree!!! We may learn something if we listen(read it here!). To all the members on the forum keep the debates and opinions coming.. If people are afraid to hurt someone's feelings based on a simple opinion then why are there forums?

I have a solution, why don't you 2 fight and the winner gets to fight Mike Tyson for $10,000,000 bucks!

The Ikon

ps. Let us know the outcome at sears and the price!

"Nos" what's the deal on the TC???
Old 05-18-01, 06:07 AM
Keith13b
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Just out of curiosity (seriously; no flame intended), I noticed Ikon said he like Discount tires. I have used them before with great success, but don't understand the difference between them and the Sears morons. Both are filled with part time, hourly paid people, who have access to the same machines. Neither one I would consider to be a "better staff".

If I bought from tire Rack; I'd be dropping the car and the tires off at the dealer. If your friendly with the service people, they will swap tires out for you quickly, and you know they were balanced to exacting specs. If the dealer was pricy, I would hit some performance shop that specializes in aftermarket rims. They seem to take better care of, and be aware of, special needs and attention to detail.

Just my 2 cents. Speaking of tires, I need to get some new ones myself. Any recomendations from anyone?

255/40/17's up front
285/40/17's in the rear

Looking for price and performance. Its been awhile since I've been tire shopping, so I'm not so "up" on the new model of tires that might be out. What are you all running that you've had good luck with?

Thanks,
Keith