SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Concerned

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-01, 05:33 PM
chaslav

My dad has a problem maybe someone out there can help him.He currently owns a 1992 SC 400. After seeing and reading about the new SC 430 he went on a waiting list to purchase the car from a dealer in the tri state area. A colleague of his last week related a situation in which a person known to his colleague test drove the car prior to taking delivery and demanded his deposit back claiming that the 430 did not compare to the 400 in handling and feel. He claimed it was a heavy drive and felt like "a tank". My dad called the dealer expressing his concern and asked for some reassurance that he would be able to test drive the car before making final payment. He was told that the car is "hot" and that every SC 430 that comes in is preped for immediate delivery to the next person on their list. He was told there are no demos and that the negative information related to him was unfounded. Nevertheless , $62000 is a lot to spend without experiencing the product. The ball seems to be in the dealer's court. My dad does not want to walk away from the car but at the same time can't see himself "taking a chance " for that kind of money.Is there someone out there with knowledge of this situation..either an SC 430 owner or SC 400 owner who has test driven the car..Would appreciate your input.
PLEASE EMAIL ME AT Chaslav@aol.com

Old 05-16-01, 06:27 PM
RealMarty
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool No problem - You're not taking a chance

1. Never heard of a dealer that wouldn't allow a test drive before handing over the check but anything is possible.

2. If you take delivery and don't like it you can sell it for a $$ profit. Lots of people willing to pay over sticker to get into an SC430 now.

No brainer. You can't lose $ on this one.
Old 05-16-01, 06:47 PM
FastSC300

huuummm....well, lot's of dealers say this type of ****. They did it with the PT cruiser, no test drives because they were sold when they arrived and if someone backed out then you have to jump and buy it quick. Basically they scared you into buying one. I agree, $62k for a car that you are unable to drive is BS and I wouldn't do it, no matter how much money I had. (just me). As for buying it and selling it for profit, you could probably do that since I have seen dealers trying to get $85k out of it, but that may be a big hassle and it would suck *** if you had to take a hit on it. But you never know. The dealers love being able to put people on a list, means less work for them and more money also. Just make sure the price doesn't suddenly go up when your signing the papers. I have seen this happen to people too. Your dad hasn't actually SIGNED the papers yet has he??? Just put down a deposit to HOLD the car..right. If so then do this, when the car arrives, demand you want to test drive it first BEFORE you buy it. Do not sign the buyers order until after you are satisfied. Just so you know, the deposit you put down on the car is not there's until you sign the buyers order. And still in most states you still have a return grace period, something like 3 days. Good luck
Scot Hail