SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

How does your SC run in the snow?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-05, 02:07 PM
no2faber
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just drove in the snow yesterday and today. overall if i'm driving slow it's not too bad. but yeah, like someone said ealier, the car doesn't perform too well on hills. i was at this uphill traffic lights for two lights w/ no cars in front of me just inching up slowly. i thought i was going to get stuck but i was patient and just slugged it out.
i think the trick is just to be careful. the car will perform fine as long as you don't punch the throttle too much.
would like to see what difference an lsd would make though
Old 01-23-05, 02:43 PM
wmulli
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you MUST drive your SC in snow, PLEASE get SNOW tires! Tha "all season" types just don't cut it on an SC. I'll be selling a set of Blizzaks on 16" SC wheels soon (haven't taken any pics yet). I'll probably offer them on CL first before putting them on fleabay. If anyone's interested, shoot me an EMAIL at wmulli@optonline.net.
Old 01-23-05, 02:59 PM
Technics
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by wmulli
If you MUST drive your SC in snow, PLEASE get SNOW tires! Tha "all season" types just don't cut it on an SC. I'll be selling a set of Blizzaks on 16" SC wheels soon (haven't taken any pics yet). I'll probably offer them on CL first before putting them on fleabay. If anyone's interested, shoot me an EMAIL at wmulli@optonline.net.
Wmulli is right.

I started a simular thread a while ago https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...=technics+snow

The SC isn't really cut out for the snow, BUT tires can make a big difference. Last year I had some Ultra High Performance All-Season Yokos on the SC. I should have realized any tire rated for 160+ mph isn't going to fair well in the snow.

This year, I went with a less agressive tire and I haven't had nearly as many problems as I did last year, even though I'm still using an all-season tire. I got around fine in 12" of snow. A dedicated snow tire will always be your best bet though. For what it is, I'd say the SC is fair in the snow, just be easy with inputs on throttle, steering and braking.
Old 01-23-05, 03:13 PM
RPH74
Intermediate

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by wmulli

Absolutely. Remember, for 70 + years, RWD cars were daily drivers, and were used every winter in the snow, and we didn't complain much. But it was a yearly ritual to put snow tires on every fall.
Old 01-23-05, 03:16 PM
Vegassc400
Lexus Champion

It would have to snow here for me to tell how it runs in the snow. It's 60 degrees and sunny right now.
Old 01-23-05, 03:32 PM
newyorksc
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Absolutely. Remember, for 70 + years, RWD cars were daily drivers, and were used every winter in the snow, and we didn't complain much. But it was a yearly ritual to put snow tires on every fall.
Yeah but in the 70s it was legal to wrap chains around your wheels..
Old 01-23-05, 05:08 PM
turbo6
Pole Position

Mine was stuck 3 times within a few feet of leaving (on level ground).

After shoveling it out, and getting help to push it back into the garage, it will never see snow again.
Old 01-23-05, 05:59 PM
MeehSoFly
Driver

Originally Posted by got_trd
My SC will never see snow
I heah ya!! I miss living in dallas cause of that. I It never snows there..juss a lotta rain and sometimes icy conditions!!
Old 01-23-05, 06:18 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Well, I should be hitting the streets tomorrow in the SC.

In case you guys haven't seen my pics of the Blizzard in my other thread, here you go.
This is from today (Sun.)
Attached Thumbnails How does your SC run in the snow?-sc-2.jpg  
Old 01-23-05, 06:18 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

one more....
Attached Thumbnails How does your SC run in the snow?-sc-1.jpg  
Old 01-23-05, 08:44 PM
The S
Driver School Candidate

Well driving the s2000 in the snow with summer tires is definately a NO NO in my case since I cannot grip the road in NYC. But since i cant do that, it sure made drifting in the parking lot fun even tho it was scary too since im no expert at that. But definately a ***** to move in 1st gear when i rev up my tail would pull the right for a few seconds before i regain control of the car again... basically i had to start in 2nd gear all the time just to avoid slippage but the S will not see snow again unless i get some good snow tires like Blizzaks.
Old 01-23-05, 09:45 PM
TMaxxTim
Instructor

My sc 300 has the V tread summer tires on it. In Lousiville over the winter blizzard it was fine on packed snow until it got slushy (luckily the ice was gone but the time I went up there). But the slushyness was worse than the packed snow was. First day I got there had no problem getting in and out of the unplowed driveway and up the hill, then on after I got stuck until I could get out into the street where there were 2 tire lines down the street. I took the street over coming up one time and owned the camry just because I knew if I stopped...I wasn't starting again.

My uncle left his 96 LS 400 in the garage this whole time and drove the truck. Even my aunt's MDX had problems getting into the driveway in 4wd just from the slushyness (over a curb though)
Old 01-23-05, 11:56 PM
Koma

Originally Posted by JLSC4
one more....
You too huh?
Thank god I garaged my SC before the storm.
Mine is sitting in the garage warm and cozy. I had to help shovel my dad's LS400 and my mom's ES300. Ridiculous amount of snow. In the Boston area we got around 2 feet of snow.
EDIT: BTW I've tried driving my SC400 in like 1inch of snow. It's awful. Sliding everywhere. Well my tires are kinda crappy too so that doesn't help.
Old 01-24-05, 06:29 AM
RPH74
Intermediate

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by 1993SCTT
Yeah but in the 70s it was legal to wrap chains around your wheels..
In some states it still is legal to use chains.

But the point I was trying to make was that we have become so spoiled by FWD and AWD cars that many of us freak out at the thought of driving RWD in the snow. Sure, a SUV will get through snow better than a RWD car ever will. But I used to drive old Chevy's and Pontiac's in the snow without the aid of traction control and never got stuck, so I don't worry much when I drive these newer RWD car's in snow. Just put a little weight in the trunk and you outta be good to go.
Old 01-24-05, 07:13 AM
Thomas C
Lead Lap

I garaged my car just like some others here. I didn't want to risk anything this time. Coming back from Philly on NYC on Wednesday when it started snowing there was a nightmare.

Last edited by Thomas C; 01-24-05 at 03:53 PM.

Quick Reply: How does your SC run in the snow?