SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Climate Control Not Working

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-05, 08:09 PM
Only1Z
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just to add to this...

I had the same problem happen to me and it WASN'T the fuse. I thought it was the fusable link on the back of the cigarette lighter. There's a TSB from Toyota on this. Anyway, I changed that and it worked for a couple weeks. Then is started going out again. The fuse box up under the steering column was NOT the culprit. There wiring underneath the floor about 6 to 8 inches in front of the driver seat. There another fuse box there. That was the one that was causing a problem. Something got loose with that fuse box and now everything has worked ever since. It's REALLY in a bad spot and is easy to step on or kick. But at least now I know for next time...and so do all of you!
Old 08-09-05, 09:32 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 350 Likes on 226 Posts

Good info 1Z, thank you
Old 08-09-05, 10:08 PM
texsn95
Rookie

Seriously, could they put that goddam fuse box any farther back on the kick panel? The fuse box on the Cobra is so easy to get to...
Old 08-10-05, 07:30 AM
Inabj2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by texsn95
Seriously, could they put that goddam fuse box any farther back on the kick panel? The fuse box on the Cobra is so easy to get to...

Its ridicoulous isnt it? In fact id argue the placement of most things on this car for a mechanical point of view is down right absurd...

Its like they made the car hard to work on ON PURPOSE!

Fuse hard to get too.. tune up spark plugs are hidden under TB, timing belt wasn't that bad, but bolts for the tensioner the one in the back was in a stupid place. Took me awhile to figure out the right angle to get the egr valve off when dealing with that issue... If you want to remove fan shroud and radiator you need to remove the battery tray.

In fact Id argue the place where the intake and exhaust manifold is is silly to begin with! Why are we making the coming in air go over the hot engine block below it again?
Old 08-13-05, 07:42 PM
bishop977
Driver

Originally Posted by Only1Z
Just to add to this...

I had the same problem happen to me and it WASN'T the fuse. I thought it was the fusable link on the back of the cigarette lighter. There's a TSB from Toyota on this. Anyway, I changed that and it worked for a couple weeks. Then is started going out again. The fuse box up under the steering column was NOT the culprit. There wiring underneath the floor about 6 to 8 inches in front of the driver seat. There another fuse box there. That was the one that was causing a problem. Something got loose with that fuse box and now everything has worked ever since. It's REALLY in a bad spot and is easy to step on or kick. But at least now I know for next time...and so do all of you!

how do u get under the carpet to get to that fuse box? i think i have the same problem. i checked the cig fuse. i didn't check every single one. but the cig fuse was good.
Old 08-16-05, 11:40 AM
CantSeeMe
Lead Lap

Exclamation

Originally Posted by Inabj2
Its ridicoulous isnt it? In fact id argue the placement of most things on this car for a mechanical point of view is down right absurd...

Fuse hard to get too.. tune up spark plugs are hidden under TB, timing belt wasn't that bad, but bolts for the tensioner the one in the back was in a stupid place. Took me awhile to figure out the right angle to get the egr valve off when dealing with that issue... If you want to remove fan shroud and radiator you need to remove the battery tray.

In fact Id argue the place where the intake and exhaust manifold is is silly to begin with! Why are we making the coming in air go over the hot engine block below it again?
They DID in fact do it ON PURPOSE! These cars were purposely made to be worked on by Lexus techs at Lexus dealers using only Lexus parts. Wich is the main reason its a pain in the a*s to get part numbers too.
Also parts are ment to be replaced , on these cars NOT repaired.
Old 08-16-05, 11:44 AM
CantSeeMe
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Inabj2

I thoght i would also add to your list . Anything on the suspension. Without question it was made a bit*h to work on ON PURPOSE.
Old 03-03-07, 02:08 PM
h4auto
Driver School Candidate

This is the BEST forum

it was a penny in my lighter. Changed the lighter fuse... FIXED!

you guys are the best.

aloha from hawaiil
Old 03-20-07, 08:38 AM
DKGREENSC
Driver School Candidate

hey guys, I'm a longtiem SC owner but a newb here. My climate control unit is FULLY dead. No LED's, NOTHING. Any ideas? do I just need to buy a new one? They are $300 or so on e-bay?!
Old 08-21-09, 09:35 PM
NSeagle78
Pole Position

Originally Posted by DKGREENSC
hey guys, I'm a longtiem SC owner but a newb here. My climate control unit is FULLY dead. No LED's, NOTHING. Any ideas? do I just need to buy a new one? They are $300 or so on e-bay?!
Today is Saturday Aug 22, 2009 and dam it there was a penny in my cigartette lighter. Yes the fuse was blown and I have now replaced it my climate control works. Thanks OLT and the guys you have saved me another 300 dollars or so.
Old 09-09-09, 01:41 AM
Ryeno
Banned

bump add me to the list of people with this problem.
Old 09-09-09, 02:28 PM
CCC-TT
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

me too. theres no coins in my cig lighter, and my CIG fuse is good. I want to know where the other fuse box is that guy is talking about in post #16... anyone who knows care to elaborate?
Old 09-09-09, 09:53 PM
Ryeno
Banned

there are only 2 fuse boxes the engine bay one next to the battery and the black one next to the dead pedal.
Old 09-09-09, 11:39 PM
maatouk_21
Driver School Candidate

my unit has the same problem, backlight turns on on the a/c unit but no controls or numbers, also outside temp button doesnt display on dash, i will check it out in morning
Old 09-10-09, 10:30 AM
CCC-TT
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by maatouk_21
my unit has the same problem, backlight turns on on the a/c unit but no controls or numbers, also outside temp button doesnt display on dash, i will check it out in morning
i'm having the exact same issue, my outside temp doesnt display and i cant control the clock on the dash.

Ive replaced the ECU and that did nothing for me... just to rule that one out

Quick Reply: Climate Control Not Working