SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Thoughts, these wheels on a Black SC4?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-05, 11:19 AM
got_trd
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sourcemine
True, I don't care if it's a lexus or a BMW or a Mercedes, it's a 12 year old car with 150k miles and a KBB of under 8,000....

Spending 25% of the cars worth on wheels/ tires makes anyone an idiot no matter what brand of car it is...
then why mod it
Old 02-01-05, 07:41 PM
London Bill
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Pirate400
London Bill....easy easy.....
I was trying very hard to be polite, but what MORON would drill holes in a car to fit aerials when the car has factory TV and radio already installed, surely that would have given him a bit of clue?

Anyway, my fav subject; Wheel Offset;

Anyone fitting incorrect wheel offset for the sake of Bling is a moron (lowercase moron, not MORON as in drilled holes in my car).

It is important that the wheel offset is as close as possible to 50mm to retain the steering & ride that was designed into the car (see; "scrub radius" for more info). Many wheel distributors sell rims that "fit" but forget to tell you the 35mm offset will kill your steering (30mm will possibly kill you).

Any dealer who says reducing the wheel offset (to make their wheels fit over your brakes) makes no difference is a LIAR, anyone saying they cant notice the difference between driving with the correct 50mm offset and 35mm should not be allowed behind the wheel as they aint got a clue.
Old 02-01-05, 08:37 PM
JZZ30TT
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by London Bill
Anyway, my fav subject; Wheel Offset;

Anyone fitting incorrect wheel offset for the sake of Bling is a moron (lowercase moron, not MORON as in drilled holes in my car).

It is important that the wheel offset is as close as possible to 50mm to retain the steering & ride that was designed into the car (see; "scrub radius" for more info). Many wheel distributors sell rims that "fit" but forget to tell you the 35mm offset will kill your steering (30mm will possibly kill you).

lol... that is the most incorrect statment i have ever herd. I have had anywhere from 50mmoffset to 12mm offset wheels w/ varing widths and NONE of them kill my steering or myself. Whta logic are you using? None that I'm fimiliar with. Then again, you should tell this offset logic to race car teams, or better yet D1 teams running negative offset wheels, their steering sure does suffer from that negative offset..lol
Old 02-02-05, 04:21 AM
London Bill
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by JZZ30TT
Then again, you should tell this offset logic to race car teams, or better yet D1 teams running negative offset wheels, their steering sure does suffer from that negative offset..lol
And they all drive standard SC's do they !

Last edited by London Bill; 02-02-05 at 04:45 AM.
Old 02-02-05, 04:24 AM
London Bill
Lead Lap

lol... that is the most incorrect statment i have ever herd. I have had anywhere from 50mmoffset to 12mm offset wheels w/ varing widths and NONE of them kill my steering or myself.
I will reiterate;

Anyone who cant tell the difference, should not be behind the wheel !
Old 02-02-05, 04:43 AM
London Bill
Lead Lap

Whta logic are you using? None that I'm fimiliar with.
You did not look up "scrub radius" did you? This is not a question of "logic" but of simple automotive engineering, I will attempt to educate you where your system has obviously failed.

The Scrub Radius angle in the front suspension geometry is set by the wheel offset, this effects the way the steering reacts to road camber, bumps, turning angles, steering weight and feedback, etc.

If you change the Offset you change the scrub radius and this alters how the steering reacts, if you want a track car you can change the offset (and scrub radius) to your benefit, but if you are driving a road going SC/Soarer with greatly reduced offset then the steering becomes so bad many people would not feel safe driving it because it has no stability.

35mm offset on the front of SC/Soarer is really crap - 30mm is verging on dangerous, 12mm is for MORONS !
Old 02-02-05, 05:55 AM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Anyone considering cheap wheels for their Lexus should read this:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=143850

You actually DO spend more money with cheap wheels. They make no sense whatsoever. Don't fall into the trap.
Old 02-02-05, 08:13 AM
JZZ30TT
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by London Bill
You did not look up "scrub radius" did you? This is not a question of "logic" but of simple automotive engineering, I will attempt to educate you where your system has obviously failed.

The Scrub Radius angle in the front suspension geometry is set by the wheel offset, this effects the way the steering reacts to road camber, bumps, turning angles, steering weight and feedback, etc.

If you change the Offset you change the scrub radius and this alters how the steering reacts, if you want a track car you can change the offset (and scrub radius) to your benefit, but if you are driving a road going SC/Soarer with greatly reduced offset then the steering becomes so bad many people would not feel safe driving it because it has no stability.

35mm offset on the front of SC/Soarer is really crap - 30mm is verging on dangerous, 12mm is for MORONS !
You're insane... have you driven an SC with that low of offset wheels? I doubt it. the 12mm offset was in the rear. At the moment I am running 30mm offset all around. Problems? NO Diffrent steering responce? NO
Old 02-02-05, 10:16 AM
London Bill
Lead Lap

You're insane... have you driven an SC with that low of offset wheels? I doubt it. the 12mm offset was in the rear. At the moment I am running 30mm offset all around. Problems? NO Diffrent steering responce? NO
Firstly JZZ30 I think you have overlooked the frequent use of the word "front" in context to the wheel offset and steering, go on, look up upwards, "FRONT" a crucial determination as to which is the steering end of the car (unless of course you have an UZZ32 with 4wheel steering).

Having owned several Soarers, with plenty of different rim setups from factory 50mm down to 32mm and driven dozens of Soarers with varying wheel offsets & sizes I can assure you 45mm is barely noticable, 40mm is quite noticable (still if you never actually go round corners you could get away with it.), 35mm makes the steering wheel buck in your hands with even the slightest bump/dip/undulation in road surface and the tendency to tramline increases proportionately with each mm reduction in offset on the FRONT wheels.

The rear wheel offset is much less critical although 12mm offset on the rear hubs will exert a much greater force on the rear wheel bearings leading to early failure because of "side loading" on the bearings.

It is a simple remedy, if you want to get the rubber out to the wheel arch, buy the correct wheels for the car. These are 8.5" and 10.5"x18" and they have 42mm Offset which is a lttle bit out for the front end (45mm would be better) BUT I use custom settings for the front geometry to compensate, even so the steering is "lively" on anything but a flat/smooth road. These may not look big or bling but the rear tyre is 275/35x18 which is probably the max width for a UZZ with air suspension fitted.

Addendum;
How many yahoo's out there blindly destroy the ride/handling of a car by taking ill-advised recommendations from people who obviously have no credentials on the subject matter. After market suspension which rides like a skateboard (and handles worse than stock ). Lowering springs with the wrong spring rates. Fitting wildly incorrect wheel offsets and why do they do it - because it "fits"!

Last edited by London Bill; 02-02-05 at 10:23 AM.
Old 02-02-05, 12:58 PM
NSOMNIA
Driver School Candidate

Ya'll are making me worry I have Axis supermesh 18x8. and 18x8.5 with an offset of 40 all the way around is there anything wrong with this??
Old 02-02-05, 02:03 PM
London Bill
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by NSOMNIA
Ya'll are making me worry I have Axis supermesh 18x8. and 18x8.5 with an offset of 40 all the way around is there anything wrong with this??
40mm offset on the FRONT is far from ideal but livable, the steering will be "twitchy" at highway speeds and have reduced straight line stability with an increased tendency to tramline (tyre choice will make this better or worse) on the other hand the turn-in will be sharper and more precise which some drivers prefer but at the expense of "hands off" steering ability with an increase in feedback from the road wheels (kickback). Just dont add any spacers as this will decrease the offset and exaggerate the effects.

8.5" rears at 40mm should be fine.
Old 02-02-05, 04:36 PM
JZZ30TT
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by NSOMNIA
Don't worry he has no clue what he is talking about. I have 18x9 +20 on my 240sx up front and it outhandled a very nicely tuned evo in the mountians.

Just keep assuming I don't know what I'm talking about Mr. Bill, and you continue to drive on what you call "correct offset". And I will continue to laugh at you.

What I think is funny is how you said it could be "deadly" lol PLEASE show me one example where someone died or even WRECKED solely because they had a offset that was too low (not negative).

I have also driven on diffrent offset wheels, much lower than you aparently, so I guess I would have a little more experience on what a 20mm offset up front would feel like than you huh? BTW 18x9 +20 up front not only fits very nicely (with a little fender rolling) it handles great too. So uhhh I'm waiting for your "proof" to your preposterous statement.
Old 02-02-05, 05:02 PM
London Bill
Lead Lap

Don't worry he has no clue what he is talking about. I have 18x9 +20 on my 240sx up front and it outhandled a very nicely tuned evo in the mountians.
Hello my intellectually challenged little buddy;

This is an SC300/400 forum, we are discussing the Offset on the SC300/400 or Soarer, look at top of page/top of thread "Thoughts, these wheels on an SC4?" not on a Nissan, Ford, GM, BMW or indeed any other make/model of car.

Did you not know that different makes of car, different models have a design Offset and how strange, they are not all the same ?

PS:
The day a 240sx can out-handle a sorted EVO on any road are only in the imagination of the author. What other models have you got in your sandbox?

Last edited by London Bill; 02-02-05 at 05:14 PM.
Old 02-02-05, 05:06 PM
FireCode
Lexus Test Driver

You might as well give up JZZ. Even if you are right( I have my doubts) you sound like a little girl that got her ice cream taken away. Take a chill pill!
Old 02-02-05, 05:55 PM
JZZ30TT
Lead Lap

Well, I would like to see some kind of proof as to why he is so set on telling people it is deadly to run +30 offset lol

Am I the only one who thinks this guy is off his rocker?

And about the evo comment, the driver has a lot to do with it, and I very seriously doubt you are too keen in that department.

Quick Reply: Thoughts, these wheels on a Black SC4?