SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Ohh no- SC broke down on my way to Air Port for a HUGE interview...

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-05, 04:24 PM
RobSoVIP
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Ohh no- SC broke down on my way to Air Port for a HUGE interview...

I had a huge interview in New Jersey on Wed, and was driving to the Bush Intercontienental Airport from Clear Lake (about a hour drive or so...) I was about 2/3rd's of the way there when all of my electronics shut off... I drove it until it shut off. I had to have it towed and call a cab so I could get to the air port. Anyone with a lowered car ever watch a tow truck get your car? - but the damage was minimal. I did end up making the flight- and had my interview, but here was the damage...

The common- Power Steering Pump leak on Alternator
Replace Power Steering Pump
Replace Alternator
Replace Battery
Replace High Pressure Hose

Small Coolant Leak Fix
Flush Power Steering Fluid
Flush Tranny Fluid

some other small things- nice little hit of $3,000!!!

-I was going to have to fix it anyways, just sucks when it breaks on your way to the airport on a morning like this... Thankfully it didn't effect my interview too much... I shook off the nerves by the time I got to NJ.

Rob
Old 02-03-05, 04:39 PM
Vegassc400
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Crap Rob. That's a helluva repair bill.
Old 02-03-05, 05:05 PM
RobSoVIP
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Vegassc400
Crap Rob. That's a helluva repair bill.
only place I could think of on that side of town to fix it was Northside Lexus- so I got the royal screw from the "stealer-ship" lol- but the work was done and the car is working right...
Old 02-03-05, 05:40 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 350 Likes on 226 Posts

make'em eat your shorts for the next 365 days and get your money out of them. stop by and eat popcorn, take test drives weekly. Have the salepeople call you for questions you really didn't care about, but just wanted the "service" to go along with your sale
Old 02-03-05, 05:44 PM
RobSoVIP
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
make'em eat your shorts for the next 365 days and get your money out of them. stop by and eat popcorn, take test drives weekly. Have the salepeople call you for questions you really didn't care about, but just wanted the "service" to go along with your sale
I would if it wasnt a hour drive!
Old 02-03-05, 07:23 PM
abboushi
Lexus Test Driver

what part of jersey did you/are you in. What was the interview for if you dont mind me asking.
And i have seen my car get towed twice while being lowered once w/ my orginal bumper he bent the black lip i had and the 2nd time was when it got totalled recently and didnt have any bumper left.
Old 02-03-05, 07:46 PM
RobSoVIP
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by abboushi
what part of jersey did you/are you in. What was the interview for if you dont mind me asking.
And i have seen my car get towed twice while being lowered once w/ my orginal bumper he bent the black lip i had and the 2nd time was when it got totalled recently and didnt have any bumper left.
I interviewed with Maersk out of Madison... It was for their MISE program, which is a Maritime International Shipping Education manager training program. Its a full time paid position with benefits that takes two years. Once completed I would be on a fast track to upper level management in one of the worlds leading Logistics Company, and hopefully be working with Terminal Managment (Port Management).

I went to one of the US' 6 Maritime Academies and got a degree is Maritime Administration which is a business and pre-law degree for the Maritime Industry.
Old 02-03-05, 08:11 PM
mteele
Lexus Champion

I'm glad I have an SC300, so my power steering pump doesnt leak on my alternator.

But hey, atleast its fixed now! You dont need to worry about it any more.
Old 02-04-05, 06:08 AM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by mteele
I'm glad I have an SC300, so my power steering pump doesnt leak on my alternator.

But hey, atleast its fixed now! You dont need to worry about it any more.
Yes but a leaky distributor o-ring will drench the alternator will oil just as good.

At least mine did until I changed it.
Old 02-04-05, 07:02 AM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Sorry to hear Rob, but glad you got things all sorted out! Sounds like a promising position as well!
Old 02-04-05, 08:39 AM
indypwr
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ouch.......!!!........i better start looking out for these symptoms before it's too late........
that's a lot of $$$ to spend for repairs.....
Old 02-04-05, 09:57 AM
RobSoVIP
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by indypwr
ouch.......!!!........i better start looking out for these symptoms before it's too late........
that's a lot of $$$ to spend for repairs.....
It would need replacing soon anyways... I was actually getting ready to get all of this done, it just sucked that it happened on my way to this interview! Quick folks- go check your PS pump- lol
Old 02-04-05, 10:25 AM
LightC
Driver School Candidate

What was your mileage when your PS pump killed your car? The sc400 I'm picking up later this week has 74k on it. It started up fine while i was there. Although, one of the guys at the dealership said that it would make a weird noise sometimes when starting it up in the cold weather. He said it was probably a 'heat shield'. whatever that is.
Old 02-04-05, 10:59 AM
5spd97
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good play man. It's days like that that separate the men from the boys. You adapted, rolled with the punches and made your interview. You just have to pull your pants back up from the screwing that you took on the repair bill and shake it off. It'll be a good story as time goes by. Good luck with the job.
Old 02-04-05, 12:53 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by LightC
What was your mileage when your PS pump killed your car? The sc400 I'm picking up later this week has 74k on it. It started up fine while i was there. Although, one of the guys at the dealership said that it would make a weird noise sometimes when starting it up in the cold weather. He said it was probably a 'heat shield'. whatever that is.
A heat shield is a piece of metal that stops debris from flying up from the road, and for one reason or another shield heat from your piping. Usually they can get a rock or something stuck in there or rust partly, thus making a noise.

The heat shield can be welded for about $10 so I would be very wary about someone making excuses about it. That is a 2 minute welding. I would certainly get the car looked at before that purchase.

Rob,

THat sux man, sorry to hear about your troubles. Hope the interview was a success and good luck,

Jonny

Quick Reply: Ohh no- SC broke down on my way to Air Port for a HUGE interview...