SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

$600 just to install shocks!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-01, 06:28 AM
RealMarty
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blown Away

I'm still having trouble grasping that it's this expensive to change the shocks -- although it sounds like we're talking struts in the front, not just 4 shocks.

What am I missing here? Does this mean that anybody looking to do a normal maintenance shock/strut replacement would be looking at these kinds of charges?
Old 05-24-01, 09:15 AM
SQ-LS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Guys, I don't know about the Sc but it only took the guy 2 hours to do my car.
Old 05-24-01, 12:59 PM
DickLexus
Rookie

Default Final price of install $462

Well, the deed was done. At 12 pm est the mechanic called. Final price of install before taxes $462. Said he was able to beat the book by a couple hours.

In addition to the shocks I had brake system bled, front rotors replaced and pads replaced and a stripped lug bolt repaired. total damage with taxes and fees $1253. Ouuuuuch!

The first thing I noticed before driving the car home was the ride height was up a couple inches. I guess shocks can'nt get it up well after 10 years(yes, they were original shocks)

The ride is fairly firm but well controlled with little body roll. Changes direction much more willingly and is much lighter feeling. I would not want it any firmer , however. Impact harshness is better with less of that banging noise over tar strips.

The thing I am most happy about is the brakes. The pedal has a firmness I was always looking for. I have had the system bled twice before including a lexus dealer but the pedal was always mushy. It is great now and the rotors are not warped.

Overall I am happy. While I did pay more than other places the job was done right. Thanks for the advise, If I did'nt question the price I would have probably paid book rate.

**** L

Old 05-31-01, 09:12 PM
Lexman

Default Shocks installations..

I did exactly the same thing you did.
I installed a new set of KYB GR-2s on my SC300 from tire rack.
But $600 seems too high.. if I were you I would shop around bc I had mine done for $220.
After the installation, you will feel significant increase with the handling but you will lose some of the smoothness of the ride..
You will feel more bumps on the road and you will hear rattles that you didn't hear before due to increase of the car's stiffness.
Hey, but I think it's a fair trade... I have five speed and I love driving so I really don't mine sacrifising a little ride over handling.
Oh... another thing.. KYB gives you better ride than Tokico.
You made the right choice..
Good luck.
Old 05-31-01, 10:51 PM
Black_IS300
Pole Position

$600 is WAY too high!. I paid about $200 to get my coilovers installed. They are trying to rip you off.
Old 06-01-01, 07:51 PM
DickLexus
Rookie

Default compare apples to apples

Some of you guys are talking about 200 install jobs but if you look a Garnet92's labor rate chart it's a big job for the SC series. The install is alot easier on The LS, IS and GS series so please don't make me feel bad by stating what you paid to do a install on these models. I'm very sensitive

**** L

Lexman, you are right about the GR-2s. Love them. I can't imagine having a stiffer ride. KYB advertises these as silky smooth, I would hate to see what their firm ones are like. Can you say new fillings?:eek:
Old 06-02-01, 06:53 AM
gadgetSC
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Shock install

DickLexus is right.

Some guys could find shortcuts for almost any job and I'm sure someone could do the job for $200. But....the extra time is because your supposed to remove the fender liners, engine undercover, remove and suspend the brake calipers, disconnect the washer tank, disconnect the ABS speed sensor and wire harness, disconnect the upper suspension arm. All of this before your supposed to remove the shock absorber.

Dont know about the other cars but the spring and shocks are removed and installed as one unit. You cant remove the spring unless the whole assy is out. Using a spring compressor will take some time. And then comes reassembly.

As I said, there are some who can find shortcuts.....But would you really want someone taking shortcuts with something as serious as your suspension?

GadgetSC