SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

$600 just to install shocks!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-01, 06:32 PM
DickLexus
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Purchased 4 KYB GR-2 shocks from the Tire Rack last month. Found a reliable garage, AAA approved, and he called me with a estimate of about $600 for the install!. He has a good reputation and said that is a worst case scenerio but that sound outrageous. He charges $68 a hour labor so that means almost nine hours. Holy Sh-t. i'm thinking he may be trying to make up for no profit on the parts. Any input would be appreciated. I have no tools to do them myself.

DickL
Old 05-22-01, 06:47 PM
RealMarty
Lexus Test Driver

Default Can't be that complex

Can't imagine any shock job could be that expensive. Shouldn't take more than an hour. With numbers like that he should have been wearing a mask and holding a gun. I'd be surprised if even the dealer came close to that estimate.

Actually, you may be on to it. Perhaps he really doesn't want to do the job...maybe because you bought the parts elsewhere. It wouldn't be the first time a businessperson said "I really don't want to do this job, so I'll give him a ridiculously high estimate. This way he either goes away and leaves me alone or makes it very $$worth$$ my while."

If I recall from several years ago, when I asked them Tirerack recommended a local tire shop to install tires I bought from them. Maybe they'll recommend someone to do the shocks. Otherwise it's time to start asking everyone you know in CT.
Old 05-22-01, 06:54 PM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Thumbs down

$125 - $175 tops.. Plus an additional $50 - $65 for an all wheel alignment...

The Ikon
Old 05-22-01, 07:48 PM
DickLexus
Rookie

Thanks for the quck response. I really amazed this guy would try to rip me. Being AAA approved in Connecticut means they will arbitrate any disputes and he could loose their approval which give him alot of business. Do you think the book says 9 hour or what? In any case I'm dropping this Mr Goodshaft like the plague!!
Old 05-22-01, 08:23 PM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

RealMarty and the Ikon have it about right. I can't image it being that much either. Probably saw dollar signs when he heard the word "Leuxs"
Old 05-22-01, 08:28 PM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Angry

LexRx is sooooooooooooooooo right!!! The name LEXUS = $$$$$$ to many Funky A$$ GREASE *****!!!

A spring is a spring... and a strut is a strut give or take a couple of procedures...
Old 05-22-01, 10:12 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

even my LEXUS dealer only charge $375, and i get to sit in the lounge for big screen tv and refreshment. or i can get a loaner.
Old 05-23-01, 04:23 AM
stoplight
Driver School Candidate

You need to check the book time. On Ladman.com, which is no longer up, there used to be a page listing the book times for the most common repair items. I seem to recall that there was over 4 hours (4.6 ? if memory serves) listed for the front and over 2 hours (2.4 ?) listed for the rear. Both of these included 4 wheel alignment which is redundant in a complete replacement, but it is still quite a bit of labor. I considered doing my own untill I looked at the shop manual and saw what all was involved as well as the special tools required. If anone has access to the list of book times, it would be a valuble post.
Old 05-23-01, 06:05 AM
DickLexus
Rookie

I wish CLubLexus could get some of Ladman's info, they had some cool stuff. I remember that time chart too. This mechanic says a alignment is not needed because they don't disturb anything to upset it. It has been fine for the 3 years I have had the car.

Old 05-23-01, 07:32 AM
933005spd
Lead Lap

Post Official labor numbers

According to my Lexus manual:

Shock Absorber R&R for both sides is 4.8 hours on the SC 300 & 400. This seems high compared to their listing of 2.6 for the GS and 1.6 for the LS.

Alignment is rated at .8 hrs for both axles.

Old 05-23-01, 08:11 AM
RealMarty
Lexus Test Driver

Question Alignment Needed With New Shocks?

I can't recall ever being told that I needed an alignment after changing out shocks...structs yes, but not shocks.

Why would replacing the shock change the suspension geometry?
Old 05-23-01, 08:23 AM
SQ-LS
Lexus Test Driver

Thumbs down WHAT?! $600?!

I got my shocks and struts installed for $100!
I paid $600 total for my shocks and struts and install total!
Your getting ripped off!!!!
Old 05-23-01, 06:54 PM
garnet92
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Post Lexus Labor Guide

Guys:
You reminded me that I have a printed copy of the Ladman posting of the labor pricing. I can't scan it in tonight but will do it over coming weekend. It shows the 4.8 hours that 933005spd quoted also - and it lists it as "Front struts both sides" - so apparently covers more than shocks. That is also for front only - another 3.6 for rear struts. Later.
Old 05-23-01, 08:06 PM
DickLexus
Rookie

Garnet92 is right. Thats the figure the mechanic is estimating by at 68 bucks a hour. He said He has to remove the upper and lower control arms in front and the back is no picnic either. He agreed that if he does the job he will give me a lower price if he can do it in less time. He Explained that the SC is very tight due to it's low stance and service is not easy. I'm changing my stance and giving him a try.
Will keep you posted.

**** L
Old 05-24-01, 06:17 AM
RealMarty
Lexus Test Driver

Default Blown Away

I'm still having trouble grasping that it's this expensive to change the shocks -- although it sounds like we're talking struts in the front, not just 4 shocks.

What am I missing here? Does this mean that anybody looking to do a normal maintenance shock/strut replacement would be looking at these kinds of charges?

Quick Reply: $600 just to install shocks!!!