SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

What is a good price for this '92 SC?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-05, 03:53 PM
LexusFiend
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

why dont you take it to the lexus dealer and have them look everything over? i think you should negotiate a price under the condition it checks out at the dealer, have him agree to pay half of the price of the inspection, when it comes back w/ bushings messed up or previous accident damage use that as a negotiation point to have him drop the price further.
lexusfiend
Old 02-13-05, 12:03 PM
ONe21
Driver

The price sounds fair, but it doesn't sound like a great deal. Talk to the owner about the maintenance cost to replace the bushings that Lexus suggested and the other small concerns that you have. I'm sure that he will come off of the price. Try for $5000.

From the research that I've done, I'd say that the alignment problem is the Lower control arm bushings, as mentioned before.

When I bought our 93 SC300 they previous owned said that we would need to have the car re-aligned every 5000 miles. He said that he didn't know why, but that's what they told him at the place he had it aligned. I thought that it was strange and came here to ask some questions. After looking at several other people's SC's with the same symptoms and seeing that it was in fact the LCA bushings, I knew that it was the problem on my car as well.

It seems that the bushings go shortly after 100k miles. There are four Lower control arm bushings on the front control arms( a front/back for the right control arm and a front/back for the left). The rear ones are the ones that generally go first, but at 160k miles the fronts may be worn as well.

Here is a link that really helped me out https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...4&page=1&pp=15
Old 02-14-05, 04:01 PM
Hackman
Rookie

Thanks again to all who have been posting. You've helped immensely!

We just picked the SC up from my local trustworthy mechanic who checked it out for me. He said it appears to have been taken care of but there are some things that need to be fixed.

Turns out, it's the steering rack that's the problem. The good news is that the LCA's have been changed at some point and the bushings look good.

In addition to the A/C LCD and the gas gauge needle, it also needs the rear struts replaced. Add all this up with some things like a coolant flush and trans. service and it comes up to a little over $2300! I think I can save about a $700 of this by buying "smart" on a couple of the parts.

Regarding the parts: Is it best to get the steering rack from steeringrack.com? Is eBay the best place to get a new A/C LCD? Any other choices (since I don't see one listed at the moment)? What kind of cost should I expect?

I guess we'll take the car back to the guy tonight and see what he says. Thanks again, everyone!
Old 02-14-05, 05:27 PM
ChallenSup
Driver

with the amount of repairs listed , and factoring in the miles on the car, I'd say PASS on it. There are better cars out there for the money. Add in the cost of what you would spend replacing parts and then go back to looking for an sc.

From what you said, the cost of car plus repairs would put you in the 7k range. Try looking on autotrader for a car under 7k and you will have a much better car to start out with.

Just my .02
Old 02-14-05, 06:00 PM
sweetsc400
Lead Lap

It sounds like the previous owner has already paid for at least half the value of the steering bushings by getting alignments so often . But if your mechanic says that it appears to have been well-maintained, then it may be worth it to fix what's left to put it in good running condition. Chances are that any SC with that many miles will have a least a couple of problems. It may be that the next SC you look at drives strait as an arrow, but leaks fluids like a Yugo. . . Good luck with your decision! I know it's a tough one. . .
Old 02-14-05, 07:01 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Hey man,

Where in OK are you? Did you buy it yet? I am in Tulsa and would be more than happy to look at the car and see if I can notice anything else wrong with it.

Also, I have great Lexus mechanics so let me know and I can send you their way. They do awesome work and are Lexus certified master mechanics.

Take care,
Jonny
Old 02-14-05, 10:10 PM
ummagawd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

dayyyyyammm..... i paid 8200 for my 92 white 5 speed, granted it was in pristine condition (interior still had the new car smell) and bought it from an old lady over a year ago, you guys out of CA are making me feel like i got robbed
Old 02-15-05, 12:22 AM
siaxazn
Lead Lap

i think that price is high for a 92 automatic. Theres plenty of people here who have got my 93 5spd with 175k for 3500. i guess its hard to find a sc for that cheap but still deals are out there. I'm positive u can pick up a 92 automatic with 160k+ miles for around 4k. Keep looking around, these days sc300 automatics aint really sort after, people who prefer automatic would pick up a 400 instead.
Old 02-18-05, 09:27 AM
Hackman
Rookie

Thanks again for everyone's help. Here's an update on the latest:

I called the guy last night and told him that after checking around at some other vehicles and taking off $2000 to get the car fixed, I could only offer him $3500. I knew he wouldn't take but paying any more would be stupid on my part.

I think he's delusional on the value of the car. He thinks the $5500 is a DISCOUNTED price. I checked the KBB (which is always high) and it said a SC in OUTSTANDING condition would be $5490 by private owner. I'm sure in a couple of months he'll be wondering why he still has it.

Oh, and that steering was SCARY (quoting the mechanic here)! I'd come out of a turn and there would be a small period of time where the steering wheel had no effect on the wheels! Really bizarre feeling.

Anyway, what finally made my mind up was when we yesterday found a '94 SC400 auto with 150k for $7k at a small pre-owned lot where we've dealt before. I've found the owner to be conscientious about checking out his cars and fixing any problems with his cars.

Our budget for a car was supposed to be $5k. We'll see what kind of negotiation we can get going. It might be worth the extra bit to get a newer SC. Then again, maybe I should just get him something like a Mustang so that parts will be easy to buy when he bangs it up.

So, how much should a '94 SC400 auto with 150k go for?
Old 02-19-05, 08:03 AM
ONe21
Driver

Originally Posted by Hackman
Thanks again for everyone's help. Here's an update on the latest:

I called the guy last night and told him that after checking around at some other vehicles and taking off $2000 to get the car fixed, I could only offer him $3500. I knew he wouldn't take but paying any more would be stupid on my part.

I think he's delusional on the value of the car. He thinks the $5500 is a DISCOUNTED price. I checked the KBB (which is always high) and it said a SC in OUTSTANDING condition would be $5490 by private owner. I'm sure in a couple of months he'll be wondering why he still has it.

Oh, and that steering was SCARY (quoting the mechanic here)! I'd come out of a turn and there would be a small period of time where the steering wheel had no effect on the wheels! Really bizarre feeling.

Anyway, what finally made my mind up was when we yesterday found a '94 SC400 auto with 150k for $7k at a small pre-owned lot where we've dealt before. I've found the owner to be conscientious about checking out his cars and fixing any problems with his cars.

Our budget for a car was supposed to be $5k. We'll see what kind of negotiation we can get going. It might be worth the extra bit to get a newer SC. Then again, maybe I should just get him something like a Mustang so that parts will be easy to buy when he bangs it up.

I would definately pass on the SC300. Unless he wanted to take $4000 for it.

The SC400 sounds like a good deal, especially for a dealership. If everything checks out then it would be worth the money.

I know that a mustang would be more in your price range, but the SC's are so much more of a quality car. If 7k is out of the question, I would opt for something like a '94-'97 Nissan 240sx. It's a reliable, fun, and sporty car that isn't dangerously fast (if that is an issue) and will impress the ladies

I've had a 94 prelude Si not long ago and it was a great car as well. We sold it with 180k miles and it had absolutely no problems except for a leaky powersteering pump. They can be had for as little as $3500 in decent condition. It was a fun car to drive, except it was an automatic

Last edited by ONe21; 02-19-05 at 08:07 AM.
Old 02-19-05, 01:59 PM
THE_CEO
Pole Position

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by verylost
If you get alot of snow and rain in OK, a rear wheel drive car might not be a good idea for a 16 yr old.
I agree thats a whole other conversation...watch out if you live in the snow belt!

CEO
Old 02-20-05, 06:55 PM
Hackman
Rookie

Originally Posted by ONe21
I would definately pass on the SC300. Unless he wanted to take $4000 for it.

The SC400 sounds like a good deal, especially for a dealership. If everything checks out then it would be worth the money.

I know that a mustang would be more in your price range, but the SC's are so much more of a quality car. If 7k is out of the question, I would opt for something like a '94-'97 Nissan 240sx. It's a reliable, fun, and sporty car that isn't dangerously fast (if that is an issue) and will impress the ladies

I've had a 94 prelude Si not long ago and it was a great car as well. We sold it with 180k miles and it had absolutely no problems except for a leaky powersteering pump. They can be had for as little as $3500 in decent condition. It was a fun car to drive, except it was an automatic
I took one look at the SC400 and passed on it. The leather seats were in pretty poor condition and the A/C LCD needed replacing. We would already be above our budget on this car and would not have any money to fix these things.

The Prelude is actually one of the cars we've considered but a Prelude with automatic has been really hard to find. I thought about a 240SX too but I haven't seen many of these either.

The dealers are telling us that they can't keep cars in the $5k range. Apparently, *everyone* is using their tax refunds right now to buy cars for their teens!
Old 02-21-05, 07:30 PM
sorka
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ummagawd
dayyyyyammm..... i paid 8200 for my 92 white 5 speed, granted it was in pristine condition (interior still had the new car smell) and bought it from an old lady over a year ago, you guys out of CA are making me feel like i got robbed
You didn't mention milage. However, if it was prestine, then you didn't get robbed. In fact SC prices have been on the rise over the last few years.

Odd about the steering rack. I've got over 200K on my '95 SC400 and it alignment is perfect and the steering is tight like the day it was new.
Old 02-21-05, 07:38 PM
sorka
Lead Lap

I would agree about the mustang......unless you think your son will try extra hard and be extra careful about the SC. If so, then get the SC. It might save his life if he avoids typical 16 year old stunts because he's in a nicer upscale vehicle.

As far as deciding between the 300 that you've described and a 400 that has no major issues and is also in great shape, then it's a no brainer. Get the 400.
Old 02-21-05, 07:41 PM
sorka
Lead Lap

I took one look at the SC400 and passed on it. The leather seats were in pretty poor condition and the A/C LCD needed replacing. We would already be above our budget on this car and would not have any money to fix these things.

The Prelude is actually one of the cars we've considered but a Prelude with automatic has been really hard to find. I thought about a 240SX too but I haven't seen many of these either.

The dealers are telling us that they can't keep cars in the $5k range. Apparently, *everyone* is using their tax refunds right now to buy cars for their teens!
On the other hand, if it's in great mechanical condition and you can get the dealer to go down another $1000, then you could do what I did to my SC400 for just over $1000:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...or+restoration

Quick Reply: What is a good price for this '92 SC?