SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

step by step on taking off the front bumper??

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-05, 02:38 PM
Goldark
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default step by step on taking off the front bumper??

step by step on taking off the front bumper anyone?
Old 02-17-05, 03:18 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Remove all bolts and screws. Then it should just pop right off

JK man, had to!! I just removed my rear bumper so with that I can help, but it has been a while since I removed the front. There is a special tool you can use to remove the plastic clips without damaging them. I am not sure what it is called but my body guy swears by it.

If I come across a write-up I will be sure to let you know.

Good luck,
Jonny
Old 02-17-05, 04:42 PM
/Aerostar\
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

CleanSC told me how to do it a while back, search for it. Not too hard of a job
Old 02-17-05, 06:14 PM
reamemiya
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if i remember correctly it just required taking off the splash guard and many many bolts.

you should be able to search and find something.

get yourself a sc300 manual...it shows you how to step by step with nice detailed pics
Old 02-17-05, 07:08 PM
techsc400
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Good Tech-note

There is a good tech-note on this web-site

It is in Home page of this CL web-site... Artivcles\information by model\......

https://www.clublexus.com/index.php/...ew/2041/1/247/
Old 02-18-05, 10:13 AM
got_trd
Lexus Champion

Its a pain in the *** doing it the first time w/ no instructions.... Found out the headlights have to come out also..
Old 02-18-05, 11:15 AM
techsc400
Lead Lap

Default another tech note

This is another one from SC400Dude (Thanks to SC400Dude).

Remove the Headlamps (Low beam). You have to access the rear nuts through the inside front fender lining. Turn your front wheels to either side so that you can access the screws that hold the lining together. You only need to remove a couple of these clips and screws. Pull back the fender lining and unbolt the rear nuts on the headlamps with a 10mm socket. The last point where the headlamp secures itself to the frame is found in the engine bay, directly on top of the headlamp. This is also a 10mm bolt. After all screws and bolts are removed from the headlamp (should be 3), then carefully pull the headlamp(s) up slightly and towards you. Don’t forget to disconnect the low beam, parking light, and turn signal bulbs~!

Next, you need to access engine covers underneath your front bumper. Remove these trays and remove all the necessary clips and fasteners that hold the under side pieces together.

Then there additional clips and fasteners on each side of the bumper that hold each end to the fender lining that you must remove as well. While you’re there, remove the side marker bulb socket on each side. Then, directly above the side markers, there will be 2 10mm nuts attached to a bracket. This whole deal is bolted on to the fender. Remove these 2 nuts and the sides to the bumper should detach. The brackets will fall out as well, so save these because you’ll need them when installing your new bumper.

Next, you’ll need to remove the screws and clips that hold the top of the bumper to the frame. There should be 4 or 5 screws that span across the top of the bumper near your hood latch. First, remove the rubber piece that acts as a weather strip. Save this piece as well, because you can use it again (Unless it’s thrashed).
At this point, you’re almost there. With the head lamps removed, you’ll notice that directly underneath where they reside, there are a few clips that hold part of the bumper onto the frame as well. Remove these (3 on each side) and the bumper should come off.

To install, just reverse the steps. It will be a lot easier with help. So, more than one person would be great. It CAN be done by you but will take longer.

Be sure to install the grille and fog lamps before you install the new bumper. The side markers will be used from your old bumper as well.

Also, I didn’t have extra clips when I was installing mine. Black zip ties work great though. It is an inexpensive alternative.

Other than that, this should be it. It doesn’t take a genius to figure it out but it does help if at least one of us knows what to do. It’s also good that every part of the old bumper carries over to the new (Side markers, clips fasteners, etc.) bumper. You’ll find out that in the long run, this will be one of the best updates you will do to your car. Besides making the car look a lot fresher, it will last a long time as well. The bumper is made out of flexible polyurethane and can take a beating from daily driving situations. My bumper is still shiny as the day it came out of the body shop. I wanted an aftermarket aero kit but most kits are constructed out of fiberglass. I want to stay away from fiberglass because it is prone to abuse from the roads. Plus, most fiberglass kits rarely fit perfectly. With OEM products, you’re almost guaranteed perfect fitment. It’s the case for me so far.

ONLY thing I would like to add is;
When you put the bumper back on, make sure high beam lights are fit correctly with the bumper cover. There is a reactangle square hole in front of each high beam light and this square hole should fit with the stick out thing attached from the inside of the bumper. Otherwise there will be a gap between the high beam light and bumper cover when you look at them from front. In other words, bumper cover around the high beam lights does not fit in all the way

Last edited by techsc400; 02-18-05 at 11:18 AM.
Old 03-25-05, 10:10 PM
soulsoarer
Pole Position

Anyone know how long it takes to remove the front bumper and to put it back on? how hard is this task and what are the tools needed. Also, can this be a one person job or does it take 2 or more?
thank you.
Old 03-25-05, 11:06 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by soulsoarer
Anyone know how long it takes to remove the front bumper and to put it back on? how hard is this task and what are the tools needed. Also, can this be a one person job or does it take 2 or more?
thank you.
Did you read the write-up above?? I think it takes about an hour - I can't remember if I had to take off the front wheels or not?? You will need a socket set, philips screwedriver and if you can one of those prying tools to remove the clips without damaging them. Yeah, you can do it with one person but it is certainly easier with 2.

Peace,
Jonny
Old 03-26-05, 11:33 AM
techsc400
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Dx3
Did you read the write-up above?? I think it takes about an hour - I can't remember if I had to take off the front wheels or not?? You will need a socket set, philips screwedriver and if you can one of those prying tools to remove the clips without damaging them. Yeah, you can do it with one person but it is certainly easier with 2.

Peace,
Jonny
You do not need to take off the front wheels. 10mm will do the most bolts. 2 people would be helpful.
Old 04-05-05, 06:46 PM
dejacky
Lexus Test Driver

Red face

you can one of those prying tools to remove the clips without damaging them.
And this tool is called?
Old 04-05-05, 07:04 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by dejacky
And this tool is called?
The tool that removes plastic clips

I really don't remember what it is called. It is kind of like a pry bar.

Jonny