SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

SC400 Trunk Release doesn't work

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-23 | 06:10 PM
LaylowsGarage
6th Gear

I definitely checked to make sure I didn’t have it locked….it’s definitely not locked. Had 2 other people check as well to make sure I’m not that slow 😂 still not working. Any other suggestions? I can hear the click when the gas tank opens. No click or sound for the trunk. Locked and unlocked the lock button to make sure I wasn’t doing it wrong.

installed new struts. No after market alarms or upgrades like that. Trunks unlocks with key.
The following users liked this post:
Bimmerbill (10-31-23)
Old 10-31-23 | 06:21 AM
Bimmerbill
Advanced

laylow,
Let me put my two cents in the pot. I had the same problem after I got my 300 out of the body shop. The button between the gas filler door release and the trunk button release had gotten pushed in , not locked while there at the body shop. I was flustered and felt that the mechanism had failed and then I purchased another one off of e bay and then I found the button pushed in. DUMB Best of luck.
Bill
Old 10-31-23 | 07:53 AM
LaylowsGarage
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Bimmerbill
laylow,
Let me put my two cents in the pot. I had the same problem after I got my 300 out of the body shop. The button between the gas filler door release and the trunk button release had gotten pushed in , not locked while there at the body shop. I was flustered and felt that the mechanism had failed and then I purchased another one off of e bay and then I found the button pushed in. DUMB Best of luck.
Bill

I checked to make sure it wasn’t pushed in. It’s not pushed in. The button is out. The trunk opened anbout 4 times intermittently when I held the lil pull button. But now it will not work at all a neighbor a few doors down owns a ls and took a look and tried and he could not figure it out either and was surprised the button was out and nothing was locked as he for sure though that was the issue as well 😂 guess I’ll have to keep checking options 😫
Bimmerbill (10-31-23)
Old 10-31-23 | 11:53 AM
Bimmerbill
Advanced

Laylow,
One last thing that I can think of is you have an electrical switch on the back side of that button which could have gone bad. Again good luck to you.
Bill
Old 10-31-23 | 02:05 PM
LaylowsGarage
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Bimmerbill
Laylow,
One last thing that I can think of is you have an electrical switch on the back side of that button which could have gone bad. Again good luck to you.
Bill
do you by chance know the part number or name of this switch? I feel like I’m not able to find the right part doing a google search 🤦🏻‍♀️
Old 11-01-23 | 09:28 AM
Bimmerbill
Advanced

Hey Laylow,
Here is what I found and didn't find :
The unit I was talking about is not a serviceable item, (Switch Assembly, Luggage Door Opening which has the two switches for the trunk and gas filler with the two switches on the back side) My '92 - '93 Parts Book does list this assembly in three different colors.
I would be searching the junk yards if it was me.
Good luck,
Bill
Old 08-30-24 | 07:31 AM
pishta
Pit Crew

UPDATE>>> if you locked your only key in the trunk and someone pushed the lock cylinder on the dash so the trunk popper is "locked" you can pop the panel that houses the popper switches and remove the metal band around the base of the lock cylinder, Its a spring steel C shaped band of metal. just pull it back off the cylinder and then youll see 2 little black buttons, press one with a small screwdriver and the lock will release, pop out and the switch will now pop the trunk again if the circuit is good. This saved me from getting into the trunk via the subwoofer to hook my keys. This took all but 5 minutes and 4 screws.
Old 08-31-24 | 05:23 PM
rollexus
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Dixond
are you sure your trunk struts work?
I still haven't replaced my trunk struts and b/c they are so worn out, when i hit the unlock button, it doesn't lift the latch out of the lock.
Maybe that's your problem?
It's a simple fix, i've just been lazy.

^^^^^ This. Plus checking if the release latch is locked with the key.
That said, it's not difficult to open up those panels.

Old 09-01-24 | 08:30 AM
ebonybiko
7th Gear

Originally Posted by LS/SC
The trunk release on my 1992 SC400 no longer works. I am talking about the driver compartment release switch.

I don't hear any 'click' as I used to when I hit the button. I looked at the schematic, and I don't see any relay. I looked at the mechanism, and it is a DC motor rather than expected solenoid.

Ideas? Thanks!
You need to unlock the switch inside the car with the key. If you don't have the key you have to access behind the lock and flip a small lever to unlock it manually
Old 09-01-24 | 08:33 AM
ebonybiko
7th Gear

Unlock it with the key on the inside. or gain access behind the switch between the gas unlock switch and the trunk switch. Button sometimes gets accidentally pushed in.
Old 09-02-24 | 12:57 AM
Photon440
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ebonybiko
You need to unlock the switch inside the car with the key. If you don't have the key you have to access behind the lock and flip a small lever to unlock it manually
Read the whole thread, you'll see that he solved his problem nineteen years ago.
ebonybiko (09-02-24)
Old 09-02-24 | 01:02 AM
Photon440
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ebonybiko
Read the whole thread, you'll see that he solved his problem nineteen years ago.