SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Pics of My SC from the DUB Show..

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-01, 04:43 AM
hoops_24
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jesus Manaray , take a deep breath man.

I wish you had pasted the image of the "exact copy" of the rim that the Konig Imagine is imitating. If you can do that I will look into purchasing the real 3 piece. For me cost is no issue. I also have not heard one bad thing or experienced one bad thing. Knock-off Rolexes are totally different from wheel manufacturers. There is no way any rim intrioduced at this point isn't going to resemble something already on the market. Give me a break.

What I mean by caring about the look is if the Konig's cost $5k I would have gotten them. They look absolutely perfect for me. Who cares who their marketed for. The WB network is marketed for minorities but anyone can still watch can't they.

"Everybody knows that a lexus isn't a knockoff Benz" Lexus admits this themselves!! They stated that the original LS400 was a direct result of the then 600 Benz. The Lexus IS a knockoff, but who cares.

Here are the vehicles I own due to their look which should give a clear indication of my taste.

92 SC400- To me the styling went downill after '95.
87 BMW 633 CSI
00 Jaguar XK8- Will be a classic design
65 Ford Mustang- Speaks for itself
00 BMW 740 IL- Wifey's car

I care about car styling, you obviously care about how much magnesium is in a rim. I happen to not care.

This forum is such a stress reliever. Thanks for the great back and forth. Let me know if you can get the name of the rim that is supposedly the actual Konig Imagine. I will definitely trade-up if their is a quality difference.

Last edited by hoops_24; 06-01-01 at 03:54 PM.
Old 06-01-01, 02:53 PM
Slick Lex Coupe
Driver

Yo, you need to chill out. I have an SC, but I still gotta admit the GS is a great looking car. When the 2nd generation GS first came out I was kind of undecided about the styling but it grew on me. I respect your right to have your own opinion, but you are tearing down everyone one by one. If you don't have anything nice to say don't say anything at all
Old 06-01-01, 03:53 PM
hoops_24
Pole Position

Slick Lex maybe you're right. Even though I mean no harm and can take criticism in stride, maybe I am coming off a little harsh. I reread my post and thought it didn't come across well. I'm going to take out the part about the GS.

Peace
Old 06-01-01, 09:52 PM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Well where should I start.. I just read through the 3 pages of posts for this thread and have throughly enjoyed it..

Hoops you have an opinion and you stick to your guns.. Gotta love that!

Manaray you have mad skills with photoshop!!

As a current GS owner who will be turning coats and moving into an SC I can say that styling is truly subjective when it comes to your likes and desires..

The SC4 IMO is just a clean style.. Some body kits for this car work and some don't.. But like most of said its your money and if you want that rim or body kit or painted inner headlights then go for it..

Anyways to make a long story short this is a FORUM where we all can voice opinions and share advice on one of the best luxury brands and vehicles in the world!!
Old 06-02-01, 05:21 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hoops - AH! I wish you didn't edit your GS comments...I would be VERY interested in hearing about it...PM me if you have it saved or remember it.

As far as Magnesium...I understand what you're saying and you're right. I do care about the technical aspects of rims and any other part I'm going to put on my car. I don't like to just slap "anything" on my car. I'm the same way with all my other hobbies.

As far as the LS400, it was direct RESULT of the S-class Benz..meaning they wanted a domestic (Japanese) EQUIVALENT of S-Class. It's still not a direct copy (even look at the interiors...nothing alike!) no matter how you slice it. Being INSPIRED by something vs. making a direct copy is two different things...

Also, with Lexus, they made a techincally BETTER and more reliable car than the Mercedes. Hence their long standing dominance at the top of all charts.

Anyways, here's the ORIGINAL rim that the Konig is knocking off. Anyone who's been in the import world for a long time knows the name Rezax. They are available from as small as 18"x7.5" to as large as 20"x10.5" and prices go from $725 to $1426 each (direct JPY to USD conversion).

Do you want the number to an importer Hoops?
Attached Thumbnails Pics of My SC from the DUB Show..-rezax2.jpg  

Last edited by Manaray; 06-02-01 at 06:08 AM.
Old 06-02-01, 05:28 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

As far as fake Rolexes go, it's no different.

I can turn your arguement on you and say that any watch introduced from here forward will look like something else already on the market (I think the watch industry is a TAD bit older than the rim industry)...yet year after year, the "old school" watch houses come out with something new

Even in the "tried and tired" diving watch category. Does the Omega Seamaster Professional look ANYTHING like the Rolex Submariner or Sea Dweller? Not in the least.

Now look at the picture below...one of them is the Rolex Yacht Master...the other is in a Invicta Diver...obviously, the Rolex is the original...

Would you wear an Invicta Diver knowing that it's a DIRECT knock-off of the Rolex Yacht Master?

Rezax = Rolex
Konig = Invicta

BTW, I'm not a particular fan of Rolexes. They're mediocre watches with a awesome marketing department. I just used Rolex because it does have the distinction of being the most knocked-off watch...for the price of a Rolex, I'd rather buy an IWC, Bvlgari, Omega, etc...too many people have Rolex Knock-Offs! (and yes, watches are another one of my hobbies)
Attached Images  

Last edited by Manaray; 06-02-01 at 05:30 AM.
Old 06-02-01, 05:36 AM
hoops_24
Pole Position

Default WOW!

Manaray you are the fu**ing man. Yes, I want the number of the importer for the rim. Also let me know if you have a web address. I had stated in one of my earlier posts that I wanted to go 9 to 9.5 inches in the rear and it appears this rim will allow me to do that.

What is the difference in "quality" when talking about rim manufacturing? Is it structural rigidity, the build process, materials? Let me know.

Man, I really appreciate you digging that up. It appears as though the rim is polished or chrome? It is EXACTLY what I was looking for.

See, that is what a forum is about. If everyone just says how cool everyone's car looks, nobody learns anything.

The GS comments were simply that I thought the poor exterior design allowed Mercedes to get off of the mat when Lexus had them pinned. When Mercedes started bringing in their "affordable" vehicles that had less controversial styling than the GS, their sales catapulted. Car and Driver pretty much said the same thing in their initial road test article. It's a very polarizing style...love or hate.

As far as the watch stuff, give me the Invicta!!

Last edited by hoops_24; 06-02-01 at 05:40 AM.
Old 06-02-01, 06:22 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Hoops, I agree with you on the whole "lovefest" mentality! No problem on diggin' up the Rezaxs...you should be able to do a nice deep dish in the back to if you work the offset a little bit...you should be able to do a 9.5" rim in the back...and you can probably do a 275 also...get some nice meat on the road!

As far as quality, it's everything that you listed. Once you get the Rezax, you'll see the difference. Also, the Rezaxs are a true 3-piece rim. Those bolts actually hold the rim together, they're not just cosmetic.

As for Mercedes, I don't think you can pin the recent success of Mercedes on the GS...Mercedes knew they couldn't milk the American public anymore...they had to step up their program. They had to come out with better cars at lower prices to compete with Lexus, Acura, and Infiniti. There are far too many "ONLY GERMAN" types out there for Mercedes to die. Even though Mercedes has made some big strides recently, they still loss a LOT of potential customers to Lexus and will continue to do so...I don't hear many stories of people going from Lexus to Mercedes...and the ones I have heard, they ended up coming back...

As far as an importer try Dave @ GT Autosports (www.gtautosports.com). Hopefully, he's not too busy that he'll actually pick up the phone! Also try emailing him...

I also have two other importers that I can refer you to. One of them, I'll see tommorow...the other doesn't usually import stuff like this so I don't know what kind of price they're going to give you...

Old 06-02-01, 11:59 PM
1niceride
Lexus Test Driver

Manaray - off the subject but how do you clean your watches? I don't want to take it to a jeweler unless i have too.
Old 06-03-01, 12:55 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Well if your watch is all metal (band and head) and it's waterproof (even it's to just 1 feet!) you can take a SOFT toothbrush and just use soap and water. I do it on all my waterproof watches from my Omega Seamaster Titanium "daily beater" ($2500 retail) to my Audemars Piguet Royal Oak Chronograph ($12,500 retail).

If you're watch is on a band and/or it's not waterproof, I would just just use glass cleaner and a 100% cotton cloth (use a soft cloth and make sure you spray the glass cleaner on the cloth, not the watch)...but only on the crystal and the head...don't use it on the band (duh). You can use leather cleaner/condition for the band but figure that a leather band will last about 1 year with daily use and leather band replacements are cheap so I don't even bother condition my leather bands...

I have only 2 watches with a leather band...my favority one is made by Eberhard & Co (Founded in 1887). It's called the Traversetolo Vitré...I picked it up in Milano when I was there last year (not on the most recent trip...I bought a Bvlgari Sport Chrono on that trip) from a store called Cielo (in the Milano Duomo square)...their name and city are printed on the dial because they're one of the top Eberhard dealer in Italy...I bought this over the standard version because these were a very limited run (I believe only 10 or so were printed like this...I got the last one )

...but I digress...sorry, just that watches are my other big hobby (along with Cars and Guns) so I like to talk about watches too!
Attached Thumbnails Pics of My SC from the DUB Show..-eberhard.jpg  

Last edited by Manaray; 06-05-01 at 05:27 AM.
Old 06-03-01, 05:51 AM
hoops_24
Pole Position

Hey I'm having trouble cleaning the built in calculator buttons on my Casio. I picked it up in Dublin when I was there. Should I just blow on it or use another method?

Just Kiddin' man.
Old 06-05-01, 05:30 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

A air blower works fine but I would take a chainsaw to it and...
Old 06-09-01, 12:19 PM
sxys_sc4
Rookie

LOL. This thread is hella funny. If I said I had a MOVADO, does manaray have anything to "say?" Haha.

MySCisSOFAT: To the MISTER who owns that black lexus, I'm 21. What's the age gotta do with it?

Manaray: You really went off on your watches. It seems like everyone cares or something. Even exact on the year it was FOUNDED, whoa!

hoops_24: I like your rims whether they are knock offs or what not. SO long as it looks good.

sxys_sc4
GO LAKERS!
*what's up w/ me and the lakers?*

anyone seen the commercial where shaq is a ballerina? aaahahahahaha. lol

PS: how much are them autocotures kits?
PS2: i was thinkin of putting some 18" BBS LMS. any suggestions? i better get SOME suggestions knowing the people in here!!!
Old 06-10-01, 07:51 PM
DROD2045
Lead Lap

Originally posted by manaray
Hoops - SOME people say that Lexus cars are a knock-off Benzes but we all know they're not. No Lexus looks EXACTLY like a Benz. The LS RESEMBLES a S-Class like most 5-spoke rims resembles other 5-spoke rims. Put a GS next to E-Class...other than the fact that they have 4 headlights (which, by the way, Lexus had first in recent history with the SC), there is NOTHING else...and the headlights look COMPLETELY different.
5 spoke rims wont always look the same, are you joking me? The E Class came out before the GS and Jag has had the round headlamp theme for ages. Do you like basing your 'fact' on pure BS?
Old 06-10-01, 07:57 PM
DROD2045
Lead Lap

Originally posted by Slick Lex Coupe
Yo, you need to chill out. I have an SC, but I still gotta admit the GS is a great looking car. When the 2nd generation GS first came out I was kind of undecided about the styling but it grew on me. I respect your right to have your own opinion, but you are tearing down everyone one by one. If you don't have anything nice to say don't say anything at all
Although it doesnt sound good to complain, lexus reads these boards. They see what people are thinking. if they read here and see nothing but 100% positive comments, theyll feel they are perfect and wont improve while the competiton passes them by. Criticism is always welcome, its what keeps us going to make ourselves better.

Quick Reply: Pics of My SC from the DUB Show..