SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Let's Settle This!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-01, 02:41 AM
Toan Nguyen
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I think the problem was...

This is to answer the performace query...

I think the problem is that they never released the SC Twin Turbo model (Soarer) in the US as it was designed to be a sporty luxury car. The SC has a sporty coupe design and it is mated to a 1JZ-GTE everywhere "other" than the US. The soarer has similar performace figues to the Supra stock for stock. I'm 80% sure that if I were to put you in a 2.5 Twin Turbo Soarer GT (my car) and you drove it, you wouldnt be thinking the GS430 was that crash hot. The Soarer differers from the US spec SC starting from :

motor : 1JZ-GTE - 2.5L Sequential twin turbo (boost starts at 1500rpm. Is that responsive enough?) Standard setup is good for 175kw at the wheels. Mate this with the Standard TORSEN LSD and you have alot of fun.

interior dash : Hologram Digital Display. looks like it came out of a concept car.

Transmission : 5sp Supra box on older models or 4sp ECT auto. (Jap spec Auto box will rev to redline as peak power is at 6800rpm)

The suspension on The soarer is active/electronic as well. I can set the damper rates on my soarer from inside the car (I dont have height adjustment which was an option) so if I want to hammer it, set it to sporty and rip the track. On normal Luxury driving set it to soft and relax. Then theres the airbag suspension. gurunteed to keep you level and cabin settled no matter road conditions. I think the newest Merc and BMW's are introducing them now when the SC had them in '91.

The jap spec SC is a real drivers car. Dubbed as the anonymous luxury Supra.

BTW... I do like the GS.... but in my opinion, it's just too slow... I have the same feeling you have when you get in a US spec SC... "cant it go any faster". I chose the SC over the equivalent Aristo (Jap Spec GS) because the chassis is more sporty being off a Supra.

Toan.
Old 06-11-01, 03:27 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hoops - I agree that we have differences in what constitutes "Good Design", but I don't like "big and ungainly" (cars or women!) no matter what you think...

I like cars that range from "Classics" to hardcore JTC style race cars (not into F1 and NASCAR types though...) I don't think the SC's design is ugly...but I don't think it's better than a GS. It's a different car (sport coupe vs. sport sedan)...and from the list of cars that you own, it very much looks like you're into sport coupes (SC400, 633CSi, XK8)...maybe that's why you don't like GS's...they don't fit into your parameters (flat and wide).

Do you think the LS (any year) is ugly? What about the IS? ES? Do you think the 740IL is big and ungainly?

You don't even like SC's with body kits...do you like ANY cars with body kits?

Did you pick a rim for your Jag yet?
Old 06-11-01, 05:40 AM
hoops_24
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Marty, I see GS's and say so what also. But I also say why?? They messed up when they built that monstrosity. Hopefully they will correct their mistake soon so the Lexus name can be restored.

Manny, you're getting to know me. One thing about us tall guys, we love squeezing into sport coupes. That is a fact! My head grazes the SC interior liner and I love that. Weird isn't it?

I don't like kits on anything. The kit on the white convertible SC in a previous post was nice though. That kit didn't take away from the SC's sensuous shape. Other than that, I haven't seen any kits on any cars that I like. Including AMG on Benz.

The 740, which my wife owns, is a nice looking car, but to me it is bland. If I owned a sedan, which I will someday, it will probably be a 2000 Mazda Millenia Millenium Edition. To me it's the nicest looking sedan on the road. (I'm going to take a beating for this I know) The car is so clean looking and the lines flow perfectly.

I also like the look of the new big BMW, the 750. Looks to be the size of the new LS 430. The front headlights underneath the turn signals will have to grow on me though. I don't like the look. The interior is also very vanilla, but with alot of high tech gizmos.

The LS430 is a yacht on wheels. I hate the look of that car. The car looks too high and unproportioned.

I obviously like sleek and slippery cars. The big ones just leave me limp.

With your help, I've really been researching high quality rims for my Jag. I know I will get a true three piece, but it's hard to decide sight unseen. I do like a few models I've seen.
Is it against Lexus ethics to post a picture of my Jag on the forum? I want your opinion on the stock rim looks. My wife keeps telling me they're fine. They are the upgraded 18" wheel/tire combo. Let me know so I'm not tarred and feathered.

Last edited by hoops_24; 06-11-01 at 05:54 AM.