SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Let's Settle This!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-01, 08:11 AM
hoops_24
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What are your opinions on what this forum is supposed to do for us Lexus owners. Do you all want to post pictures and have everyone say how nice your car looks or do you want to get honest opinions that may or may not help you to make your car look even better? Personally, I think we should have some healthy debate and discussion. I will be making a couple of improvemEnts to my Lex based on input from Manaray, IKON, and Exsilio. I also believe that Exsilio and others may be taking a 2nd look at their rims due to various inputs. I know I am!

Be sure to add a short comment. If there's 186 views to this post, there should be 186 comments as well. Share your thoughts!
Old 06-02-01, 09:05 AM
banking
Rookie

Default hoops_24

Hoops_24,

You're right about Lexus members being able to learn from one another and yeah sometimes critique each other as well. But keep in mind everyone has their own perception of what their SC should look like wether it be the rims or the color of the interior.
In my opinion rims is the last thing on my list and tinted windows as well. Reason behind that is the SC to me looks fine the way it is just lower it by about an inch or inch and a half. As far as the windows being tinted my philosphy on that is why hide I like it when people next to me pretends not to look at my car but in my guts I know their eyes are just peering over my way. It just puts a big smile on my face.
Body kits to me depends on how extreme an individual is. If I were to put one on my car it would be like the one from the Australian Web Site the car owned by Hayden. To me that is sweet and those wheels compliment that lowered look as well.
And again some may think that is not extreme enough. This forum I guess can be used as a way to learn from one another when it comes to mods and looks but one should go to another site if they want to express their opinion on how ugly someone's car is. B/C that car's owner may think that thats the best looking sc around.

Just my 2 cents.

Take care,

banking
van
van25_99@yahoo.com
Old 06-02-01, 09:31 AM
importtoys
Pole Position

Default hmmmmm

I know what 'I' like...I'm a member of a few car forums and it amazes me when people let others dictate what should be on their cars... Should everyones car look the same? No bodykits,same rims,Alpine stereo etc... C'mon people!! I'm sure noone here is hurting for cash so if someone picks a rim or kit based on the 'look' then I dont think they should be bashed for it if that's what they like...(BTW..EVERY company has a knock off of someone elses shiiii )
I love the fact that people state their opinions but I just dont like it when they cut down someones effort in doing so...
Do what 'YOU' want to do...Makes for a better board
IMHO
Old 06-02-01, 12:12 PM
933005spd
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool just do it

I appreciate all the mechanical and electrical help as well as asthetics comments. We all have at least the basic SC attraction, the rest is just fluff. If I ever do something that most of us SC owners said YUCK to, it may make me change my mind. Heck, thats why I posted pics of my painted calipers, cause I wanted honest feedback. Im sensitive to mean comments, but oh well I get over it.

Glad to have this community!
Old 06-02-01, 05:18 PM
ACleanSC4
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default *sighs

Well...Like many of you guys on this board, I have purchased my own car and buy what I can out of my own pocket. I am only 19 and I can't afford those 4-5 thousand dollar rims. But i'm not settling for anything less on my ride. Some do not care whether they have inexpensive rims or not, don't bash em or make em feel bad because they worked hard for their money to get rims.
Just let it be...
Fixing up your car comes with hard work & time (unless your filthy rich!). Any kind of criticism should be positive...give other suggestions or ideas, don't just do a put down and leave it at that!

Tony
Old 06-02-01, 09:14 PM
garnet92
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Facts and Opinions

There are facts, and there are opinions – people’s preferences are opinions, not facts. Opinions are like a**holes – we’ve all got ‘em. No one should be p.o.’d if someone else doesn’t like their rims, body kits, etc. I’ve never seen another SC that looks as good to me as mine does – it fits me – nobody else needs to like it. We need to be respectful of other individuals but we don’t have to share their opinions. This forum is valuable to all of us and we should be able to give our opinions. Debate is good – you learn a hell of a lot more by listening to a healthy debate than by being surrounded by people that wouldn’t dare disagree with you.

Personally, I think the GS has 2 too many lights on its trunk – and, I think the new SC looks great except for the rear end which looks like *****. I think the Mercedes CLK, several BMWs and the Jaguar XJ8 are fine looking cars. I expect that these are some opinions that others won’t agree with.

IMHO, Lexus has never built a better lookin’ car than my ’92 SC4 in Garnet Pearl – but, you guys don’t have to feel the same – doesn’t hurt my feelin’s at all. I think that most of the differing opinions have been in the way of constructive criticism – not like saying “your baby’s ugly”. It’s ok to say that you’d like my car better without the tinted windows, or that you prefer different rims.

The main reason I’m here is to learn more about my car, its weak points, its strengths, where to get stuff, how to fix problems, etc. The forum is too valuable to many of us to let some disagreements drive some participants away – we have (at least) one thing in common – we either drive SCs or have some interest in them. That’s enough to bond us together – in the relentless pursuit of the perfect SC (whatever it might look like).

Old 06-03-01, 05:58 AM
hoops_24
Pole Position

Garnet, are you the one that uses the Tanner's preserve on your leather? If so, thanks for the 411. I used it this weekend and it really made a big difference.

I agree with you on your post. The Garnet Red '92 is the baddest of the bunch. I think the SC styling really got wacky when they started tweaking the front airdam, rocker sills, and tail lights. The essence of the SC was captured in the '92 model year which was the original and I think freshest design year.

Great post!

Old 06-03-01, 04:26 PM
garnet92
Lexus Test Driver

Exclamation Perfect example

No, Hoops I can’t take credit for the Tanners – some other Lexer must have made that suggestion. But it’s a great example of the value of the ClubLexus forum. I’m now an enthusiastic user of Zaino Bros. products – never heard of them before seeing several postings on the forum – the Bros. can probably trace significant sales directly to this forum – you’ve found a leather product that you like – credit the forum. I may try it too. A lot of Lexers are helped every day by the information found here.

Funny you mention the styling “improvements” that are found on some later SCs – you hit the nail on the head – these are the very items that I’ve felt were changed to support a different look from year to year – not to improve the result. But that’s just my opinion (and yours). A lot of owners with later models will disagree – so be it.

Any plans for your SC? I’m planning to change out my intake sometime soon – I’d be interested in a turbo or supercharger but looks like the SRT blower (at least for an SC4) is vaporware. Nowhere else to go???
Old 06-05-01, 05:39 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

and here we go...

Point 1) Personally, I'm not for the "lovefest" mentality...While I don't think there should be a dictated "style", I think there should be some ground rules.

Point 2) Lexus cars are Luxury Cars (for the most part...though I think the IS300 is more on the wild fix-it-up side which is perfectly fine.) I think if you're going to fix up a Luxury Car, you should fix it up LIKE A LUXURY CAR. It's not a Honda Civic NO MATTER WHAT YOU PAID FOR IT. If I paid $100 for a '93 Lexus GS300, I would not treat it like a $100 car. I would treat it like a Lexus GS300. It's not cheap to do and it shouldn't be. If it was cheap to do everyone would/could do it and there would be no exclustivity (take a look at the Honda market)...you're "fixed up" Lexus wouldn't stand out from a crowd of fixed up Civics. The REASON why a fixed up Lexus stands out in a crowd is because IT IS EXCLUSIVE and it's NOT CHEAP to do.

Point 3) As for every company having knock off rims, that may be mostly true, but I still believe that you should buy the originals if possible. Some designs (like the classic "Mesh") design is so old school that it's hard to pinpoint an original...and being INSPIRED by a design and KNOCKING IT OFF are two differents things divided by a very fine line (MAE vs. Revolver)....but when you have a DIRECT and OBVIOUS knock-off (C5 vs. Concept 5 or Yoko AVS Mod.5 vs Xenex), there should be no question that you get the original.

Point 4) As for people *****ing about price, GET OVER IT. You're fixing up a LUXURY CAR, not a go kart....like I've always said, if you can't afford to fix up a luxury car the right way, than maybe you shouldn't be fixing it up. I have MUCH more respect for someone who just leaves their ride stock than someone who does a jackass job to "fix-up" their ride. You bought a quality car, put quality aftermarket parts on it...also refer to Point 2.

Point 5) Like I said in Point 1, I don't think STYLE should be dictated (style of rims, bodykits, chrome, no chrome, etc.). Of course, people should post their opinions of it as someone might bring up something that others have missed...

Point 6) As for bashing...hey, some people take it as bashing, others see it has strong criticism I think we all like each other here for the most part (which is more than I can say for the folks at some other car "enthusiast" sites!)

Point 7) Hey, if some says your car is ugly, big deal...I don't think people should take it personally. I take no personally offense to Hoops criticizing the design of the GS...he doesn't like it, I do. Big deal, I think the older SC's are ugly compared to the newer (pre-SC430) ones...what's the dael with the "let's let the world know" turn signals on those old SC's anyways?!

Old 06-05-01, 11:12 AM
hoops_24
Pole Position

Manaray, you seem to be a smart lad, but some of your points aren't data driven. They're merely assumptions.

Point 3- You obviously have a wealth of knowledge as far as rims are concerned. That's your thing. But someone like me who goes out and buys Konig's may not know that they're knock off Rezax's. Hell, I thought that Konig's were a top manufacturer. But I don't believe that people should be called knock off buyers if they purchase these high output made rims. Some honestly don't know any better. I know I didn't. But thanks to you I've learned some things.

Point 6 - I agree with you on this one. I have yet to see someone say something nasty to another on any of the posts. There have been respectable "I don't like that" types of comments, but that is not bashing. If you post a picture of your vehicle then you want feedback on it right? Well, listen and go with the flow.

Point 7- I love how the entire tail lamp lights up when turning! I think it looks real aggressive. Again, to each his own. I specifically purchased a "92 after viewing all model years and that's the one I liked the most. The raised tail, and Jackie Chan Shogun Front Air Dam on the '95 and newer cars are unsightly to me. Others like it. They went more sporty when I think the car is more tilted to luxury. They're all great vehicles though.

When I said I like a big ***, I'm not talkin' Oprah Winfrey here. But I don't want no woman that doesn't have enough *** to make a bologna sandwich either. I think that the GS is a hybrid along the lines of the Pontiac Aztek. Sales are down 7% for fiscal year 2000 and in Automobile magazine Lexus is on record stating they were very close to scrapping the design because it was so polarizing. I will make an attempt to dig up the issue date. As far as the number of posts being the barometer, that's laughable. The GS sales the least amount of units period. The only reason there's more posts is because they have the most problems and after market parts. They NEED to be fixed up to be attractive cars.

The 3 series Benz I was referring to was the 320 sedans. I think the GS allowed these cars to increase the Benz sales dramatically since they had a similar customer income base. If Lexus had designed a real mid-level luxury car and not a tank, Mercedes would have been in real trouble.

If GS owners want to add the new and improved two-story orca tail with the neon blue hover lamps on the bottom go ahead. It's not really a luxury car. Personally I think Lexus can and will do better.

Last edited by hoops_24; 06-05-01 at 11:17 AM.
Old 06-05-01, 03:50 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Hoops...

Point 3 - Ok, I can definitely agree with you on the point about people not knowing...that's completely excusable...but when people DO know and still do it...I don't know...that says something...

Point 6 - I agree...no one's gotten too outta hand IMO...

Point 7 - Though the newer SC's may be more "sporty" but the SC is a sporty car...it's suppose to be more sport than luxury while the GS is suppose to be more luxury than sport.

As for the GS's sales, I think the SC has the fewer sales than the GS (but I could be wrong)...at any rate, I think the E-Class sedan (remember, they make a 420/430 also) took off because Mercedes made a NICE looking car AND it had a Mercedes Logo on it...

I don't think Lexus has any troubles selling the GS as I see TONS of them running around (far more than the SC in Los Angeles)....and if you look at most of the posts, very few of them are problem related (I'm sure the ratio is the same as in any of the Lexus forums)...and come on, the GS sells fine in stock form...

Where did the two-story Orca tail and neon blue lamps come from? I think that kinda **** is cheezy *** hell (especially on a Lexus!)...as it not being a luxury car, how do you figure?

Sure Lexus can do better, but they could have done better on EVERY model...the LS430 could have been better, the SC430 could have been better...the IS300 could have been better...everything could have been better...I can find design flaws (to my taste) of every Lexus ever made including the SC...
Old 06-05-01, 04:09 PM
hoops_24
Pole Position

OK we're making progress. At least you will admit that buying a knock-off isn't exactly a purposeful act by us rim novices.

The orca tail and hover lamps come from a GS that I saw in one of the galleries. UGLY! Hey, I don't think it's a real luxury car. Any car that has dash instruments like the GS which looks like something out of an old Buck Rogers movie is not a luxury vehicle. Do you see a Benz or BMW or Jag with gimmick features? Never.

You see a ton of them around... There you go again. That's not a data driven statement. Sales are DOWN 7%. Maybe you aren't looking hard enough. The GS styling is going bye-bye. It was a mistake.

Who says the SC should be more sporty? If that was the case they would have made them five speed. That's also why they're referred to as luxury sport coupes. That would be in order of importance :-)

I think we pretty much agree on everything else except the GS styling. That we will not agree on evidently. So let's close this thread out with my opinion of the entire GS line of Heavy Artillery Vehicles. Click on the link below:

My GS Opinion

Last edited by hoops_24; 06-05-01 at 04:14 PM.
Old 06-05-01, 04:33 PM
garnet92
Lexus Test Driver

Default Manaray and Hoops

C'mon boys, play nice now or I swear I'll turn this car around an go home ....
Old 06-05-01, 08:52 PM
importtoys
Pole Position

Talking

Glorified TOYOTA ........I know I'm gonna get ripped a new one when our SC is complete (Aug. 4th for HIN Seattle)... But I look forward to the input ,good and Bad from those that are here to help out fellow SC owners
Old 06-05-01, 11:15 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Hoops: The SC did come in 5 speed MANUAL...the GS did not The GS is refered to as a Luxury Sport Sedan...so what's your point? Have you ever been inside a Toyota Supra? Scary how it looks like a SC both inside AND out, isn't it? Last time I check, the Supra wasn't considered a Luxury car...and like I've said before, in Japan, the SC (known as the Soarer) is **NOT** a luxury car. It's a sedated Supra.

As for the gauges in the GS, you are the only person I have EVER heard that did NOT like the GS's gauges...they must offend too many people as the new SC has a similar setup (though not backlit like the GS's). I remember a thread a while back in this very forum where people were looking for something similar to the GS's backlite setup...

The gauges in most of the Benz look dated and old. I wouldn't want gauges like that if I had a choice! And personally, I don't like the gauges in any of the cars you listed. I they' plain and ordinary...the GS's gauges are the best looking in any car IMO. As for Jag, are you talking about the same Jag that still uses that COMPETELY dated and pointless J-Gate system?

As for the quanity...well you say that sales are down 7% yet Toyota's data say 5% down. But what difference does that make? ES sales are up, does that make the ES a better car to buy? As for the GS's styling going bye-bye...well the older SC's style already went bye-bye and the GS's won't be going bye-bye until 2003 at the earliest. Guess the GS isn't too ugly since it's still around!

Well, we obviously will never agree on the GS's styling but I think I'm with the majority (at least here) when I say that the GS's styling is great. The SC's styling is good too when you add a nice clean bodykit and some decent rims! But stock, I think they're rather...well, Supra looking.

Doesn't anyone else have a opinion on the styling of the GS or the SC here?

Import Toys: What are you doing to your SC?

Quick Reply: Let's Settle This!!!