SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

I got my Carbon Fiber Hood!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-05, 08:45 AM
JDM SC4
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

none of you guys have seen a CF hood?

who needs pics..... kinda redundant. It's like asking for pics of an SC with TT rims.
Old 03-18-05, 09:48 AM
MongolKhan
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by aasc300
The hood was $600
I dont plan on leaving the hood unfinished though........
What we are planning is this: we are going to install the CF hood, trunk and spolier. Then paint the car a light metallic silver base coat (everything but the CF pieces). Then we are going to spray the whole car candy brandywine or candy green. This should give a cool effect with the CF pieces. They will be the same basic color as the car but darker and when you look close at them you will see the CF through the candy........
I think it will take him a while to post pics, since he is doing all this stuff to it. Since ya'll want CF hood pics, here is mine, VIS one, paid $428, quality, fitment not bad.
Old 03-18-05, 12:26 PM
got_trd
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JDM SC4
none of you guys have seen a CF hood?

who needs pics..... kinda redundant. It's like asking for pics of an SC with TT rims.
Well then why would one post about something they just got but not have pics
Old 03-18-05, 01:12 PM
aasc300
Advanced

Pure excitement, sorry for not having pics yet......
Old 03-18-05, 09:16 PM
FortuneLS
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by SliderSC
I think it will take him a while to post pics, since he is doing all this stuff to it. Since ya'll want CF hood pics, here is mine, VIS one, paid $428, quality, fitment not bad.
hey i was wondering if there were any discrepencies in the weaving of the carbon on your hood, a friend of mine got a vis carbon hood for his supra and in the middle of his hood it looks like the carbon was stretched in places, like it was wavy
Old 03-19-05, 10:56 AM
MongolKhan
Lexus Test Driver

Nope, nothing like that. I inspected mine thoroughly before i got it.
Old 03-21-05, 04:52 AM
aasc300
Advanced

I unpacked the hood to put it on yesterday and it is broken!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The front edge has a wack mark in it from where the shippers must have dropped it!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-21-05, 02:07 PM
Xevuhtess7
Pole Position

wow that sucks... did you have insurance on the shipping?
Old 03-22-05, 04:27 AM
aasc300
Advanced

I guess not, it wasnt an option when I ordered. I ahve already contacted importfan and they are wanting me to e-mail them pictures of the damage...
Old 03-22-05, 05:48 AM
awj
Bluegr*** Performance

This should play out nicely. Didn't you read the disclaimer on their website in the terms and conditions page in small print? All orders CF and custom are as is and final. Or something like that. Who are you working with over there? Wait till you get the, "I spilled my drink on your phone number excuse. That's why I didn't call back..." Yea, I'm not an "Importfan" if you know what I mean.

That's the breaks bro. The finish on my hood was less than exceptional. Still, it works. Not satisfied and wouldn't do it again. I have another piece somewhere too that was a result of poor service that worked in my favor. So no spilled milk here. But I've already put more labor into it than it is worth. It's still not fitted and once it is, the severe defects in workmanship will need to be addressed by a body artist far more talented than myself. Did you clearance the safety hook locations yet? Get your deremel. And if you want it to fit with oem hardware, unless they changed it, the hinge bolt holes will need to be re-drilled and tapped for correct fit. Or as close to correct as it's gonna get. So approx. 1700$ in body parts will require 500$ or so in materials and another 300$ in labor beyond my own to even be halfway presentable. At full boost it don't matter. The wow factor is there regardless of finish issues. I've managed to reduce them to a minimum with my lonesome.

Hey best of luck on hood issue. I'm positive the hood looked like that when they shipped it. But it's possible it happened during shipping. More things will happen to it as it is mounted and used. The hood can crack any time it is opened or closed. Mine had a piece missing - very small. The hood is weak, buckles and cracks in the wind, you will need to glue the reinforcement in the back side down with a strong adhesive better than it is now. I would not recommend it for a daily driver. It won't last long. I put mine on for three months, it cracked in 4 places after all the work. Going to reinforce it a little more. I think a clear coat and faded paint will cover it. Not too worried. But that's the breaks...

Don't even get me started on the wheels fiasco...
Old 03-22-05, 10:25 AM
theman
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

I have one of those Importfan GTP CF hoods, it fit pretty well and the weave looked decent for a little while... until one of my employees took the car out for a spin without checking to make sure the hood was shut all the way. I'm just glad the hood didn't take the windshield out with it.
I might try the VIS next to see how that one fits up...
Old 03-22-05, 11:17 AM
MongolKhan
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by theman
I have one of those Importfan GTP CF hoods, it fit pretty well and the weave looked decent for a little while... until one of my employees took the car out for a spin without checking to make sure the hood was shut all the way. I'm just glad the hood didn't take the windshield out with it.
I might try the VIS next to see how that one fits up...
Where in Maryland are you? I got a VIS one and you are more than welcome to come and check out mine, maybe do a little meet, i live in Annandale, VA.
Old 03-22-05, 02:46 PM
aasc300
Advanced

So far Import Fan is being very helpful in resolving the issue for me. I was surprised though, we mounted the hood on the car and it fit great. All of the bolt holes lined up perfectly, the hinges and latches all were good, lets hope the new one they send me is better.....
Old 03-22-05, 05:14 PM
awj
Bluegr*** Performance

Wow. Maybe they learned something. Congrats.
Old 03-22-05, 10:58 PM
SupraCoup3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by awj
Wow. Maybe they learned something. Congrats.
the early revisions required drilling -- they noted that on their website, specifying that the new ones don't.

Quick Reply: I got my Carbon Fiber Hood!!!!!