SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

So my shop just broke something on my car

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-05, 02:01 PM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default So my shop just broke something on my car and need advice on glue

I guess one of the mechanics who was working on my car leaned on the radiator fluid return nipple (the nipples that's attached to the small hose that goes into the side of the coolant reservoir) instead of buying an entire ratiator how would I fix this?

I would have asked for another radiator but of course they are going to deny it... I didn't notice the problem until I drove it far from the shop.

I know crazy glue is not going to do it.

I was going to use gorilla glue but I can't clamp it together tight for it to work to peak efficiency.

anyone know any high heat, high temp plastic weld or something?

thanks for the heads up

dennis
Old 03-18-05, 02:19 PM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

I would start by calling the shop and explaining the situation including the fact that you noticed it after you left. The worst they can say is no and you already have that for an answer if you don't call them. If they want to keep your business, they will fix it for you. If they tell you where to go, tell them you will go there and take your business with you.
Old 03-18-05, 02:21 PM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wait dude, they broke your car, didn't say anything about it, and you drove off, then discovered the damage later? Am I reading that correctly? And if it's the part I think it is I wouldn't try to use any glue there, I'd unfortunately have to get a new radiator because I don't play games with this car's cooling system. The only thing that can really harm these engines is heat, because of that I say don't cut corners with the cooling system. Man this sucks. Will they pay anything at all towards the cost of the repair? I mean it was their idiot who broke the damn thing
Old 03-18-05, 03:16 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

D,

that sucks man. As Mike said - heating/cooling problems are what will bring your car down - blown headgaskets etc. I would call them and tell them what's up. If they value your business then they need to man up and take care of what they did.

Good luck and keep us posted,

Peace,
Jonny
Old 03-19-05, 02:29 AM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

this is the second time they broke something on my car.

1st was the cupholder which they paid for.

I'm acutally going there later this afternoon to simply let them know that i won't be coming back. I think that will hurt him more. He knows I have 23 cars that my friends, my friends, my family and I bring there. I'll take the whole fleet with me even if he offers to replace the radiator.

Regardless I am not going back to them... service has been going downhill at that place.. used to be a good shop......

The top portion where the nipple broke looks like a continuously roving plastic which is easily fixed with plastiweld. Plastiweld is good for 1000psi and 450degrees. I'm not trying to go cheap as I can surely afford a radiator, just hate to see a part that can be saved go to waste.

I did order a new coolant reservoir tank, new upper hose and new radiator just in case though.
Old 03-19-05, 03:09 AM
Ebanks
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FWIW I bought a radiator for $80 on ebay that worked flawlessly for my 400 when my original one had a crack in the end tank.