SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Fender wall flew off AGAIN..in downtown San Francisco

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-05, 04:46 PM
Anthracite SC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fender wall flew off AGAIN..in downtown San Francisco

DUDE..I am NEVER driving down the union square china town area again.

I was cruising through the city w/my girl and all of a sudden down kearney street there was this 3 foot wide pothold at least 2 feet deep also. (how can they let a pot hole like that exist?)

My car is already low cuz of my tein has and low profile tiers on 18 Strrusse SSRs.
my left front tire fell into the pothole and rebounded back REALLY hard into the wheel well liner.
The liner then popped out of place and dragged on the floor.

(this fender wall stuff happened to me once before on a highway near San Jose..maybe dropping the car really low is COOL for looks, but sucks for ride quality and damages)

I had to get out of the car....and run to a local store..and get some scissors to cut the remaining dragging piece off. The ******* of a storeowner didn't sell any scissors but he had some at the counter. I asked him if I could borrow it, but he refused and said no way. He would however SELL them to me for 2 bucks.. I reluctantly agreed. What an ***.

I then turned to the car, cut the remaining wheel fender wall liner off..and threw it into the direction of that store that I bought the scissors from. I also proceeded to throw those scissors. "KEEP the two bucks A>>>>>" was my statement as I left.

WEll I can't drive the car for another week until I get the fender wall or else the rain will just tear into my engine

What a Saturday.

p.s. Also my car engine STILL dies on the high way. I don't think it's an electrical problem. I think it's some sensor that's causing that car to die.
Old 03-21-05, 05:25 PM
inovashn
Intermediate

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

dude you've got luck like me. sorry about the prob
Old 03-21-05, 05:56 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 360 Likes on 230 Posts

Hey, dude owns a store. Don't take your fenderwell frustrations out on him. He could have said "no, i'd rather watch you knaw it off"

Hey, welcome to the bad luck club anyway.
Old 03-21-05, 06:38 PM
sourcemine
Lead Lap

Wow, I drive through L.A. alleys all the time, worst, I mean worst thing is I get a nail.. never a missing fender.
Old 03-21-05, 07:34 PM
rscott
Lexus Test Driver

wow i thought rolling over a 2 inch deep pot hole was bad...2 feet deep is unreal....was someone planting a tree?
did you bend the wheel?

i dont think raising the car back up would help you much in that kind of situation....
Old 03-21-05, 10:33 PM
BigManne
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

call public works. may them pay for damages. if it wasn't marked
Old 03-21-05, 11:08 PM
Lexiss_sc430
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I fell in this one a few weeks ago its about 7-8 inches deep and 2 feet long , but I am filing out the necessary paper work to get the city to pay for it, it’s their dam problem they can’t maintain the streets/alleys. I say call up the city council and “request a claim for damages” form, fill that out and they said with in 2-6 months you should receive full imbursement, oh yea and if the damages is under $500 they request one estimate but if it is over $500 they want 2.

Good luck

Tommy
Attached Thumbnails Fender wall flew off AGAIN..in downtown San Francisco-pothole.jpg  
Old 03-22-05, 02:45 AM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

I thought Sydney roads are bad...

And thankfully there's a lot of lowered cars around the area, they all swerve to miss potholes so you can spot em a mile away
Old 03-22-05, 05:34 AM
blaznsc4
Lexus Test Driver

everywhere in frisco is bad. i lived there my whole life until now and i tell you them damn roads are a biatch to manuever around. you may dodge one but wont dodge the next one. im guessing its too many cars in one small city and for damn sure its too many people. not like out here in al. roads are nice and smooth, not like city like.
Old 03-22-05, 05:47 AM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Damn that sucks man... This happened to me once on the freeway. High speed and a moderate dip and YOINK my left fender liner was ripped clean off. I never saw it again.

You can drive the car the way it is in the rain, nothing major will happen. Just keep an eye on that harness right above the tire. You do not want to tear thru that...

As for the rubbing, try setting the Teins a little stiffer up front. That did the trick for me, I don't make contact as much (or at all) anymore now.
Old 03-22-05, 03:20 PM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Anthracite SC
..maybe dropping the car really low is COOL for looks, but sucks for ride quality and damages...The ******* of a storeowner didn't sell any scissors but he had some at the counter. I asked him if I could borrow it, but he refused and said no way. He would however SELL them to me for 2 bucks.. I reluctantly agreed. What an ***.

I then turned to the car, cut the remaining wheel fender wall liner off..and threw it into the direction of that store that I bought the scissors from. I also proceeded to throw those scissors. "KEEP the two bucks A>>>>>" was my statement as I left.
Well yeah. Dumping your car on the ground is never a good idea if you're actually driving the thing!!!

And man don't get mad at the shop keeper, afterall he runs a store. It's his job to sell stuff to people who come into his store. He didn't even have to offer you the pair of scissors he had on the counter.

Raise the car up and I guess try to keep a better eye out even though I know for the most part they creep up on you. Good luck bro
Old 03-23-05, 11:00 AM
SPORTcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

After my first pothole encounter on 101 doing an understandable 70mph, I sold my 18"s and bought a set of TT rims.
Popped tires and bent rims are no fun.
Going from 40-->45 profile makes a world of difference.
I wouldn't want to drop my car any further either. (On Eibachs right now)
With my 3" midpipe and the endless speedbumps, I feel like I can't even do the speedlimit.

~Alan
Old 03-23-05, 11:21 AM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SPORTcoupe
After my first pothole encounter on 101 doing an understandable 70mph, I sold my 18"s and bought a set of TT rims.
With my 3" midpipe and the endless speedbumps, I feel like I can't even do the speedlimit.

~Alan
I'm on TT wheels and Eibach's as well...I couldn't drive MY WAY if my car were any lower or had any less rubber.
Old 03-23-05, 11:21 AM
blaznsc4
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SPORTcoupe

~Alan
i feel you man. also dont forget about the hills in frisco. driving around in frisco with a kit and a lowered car is crucial. to make it even worst driving stick on hills especially in c-town with all them tailgators on your ***
Old 03-23-05, 12:32 PM
LexAnt
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hehe damn mike, didn't kno it was that bad for you. I've been doin fine in sf all this time and with the way my car is.... no scrapin or anything, only those dreaded driveways. i would think i'd have a harder time than you....

i guess just gotta be wary of how you drive and where you drive.