SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

SC Concept LED Lights

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-05, 05:37 PM
SCV8
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

www.luxeon.com
They even have red ones so you don't get a washed out red through your lenses.

At freeway speeds these will buy the guy behind you 30 feet of braking room, since they fire up quicker than a bulb.

I was thinking of the headlights, since we have a large lambertian dome already in the housing.

Draw up around 50 concepts, then we'll narrow it down , I have a couple ideas, no time though, am too busy at work for my own projects anymore it seems.

Keep in mind that many of the LEDs require a heat sink of some sort, and a very stable, conditioned power supply to get the advertised life from them.
Old 04-05-05, 06:00 PM
JohnnyB822
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i dont like them at all i think they ar ugly the only thing that i do like is the LED part, if they looked like stock tails with LEDs then i would like them but the clear is ugly
Old 04-05-05, 08:44 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 360 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by SCV8

Keep in mind that many of the LEDs require a heat sink of some sort, and a very stable, conditioned power supply to get the advertised life from them.

can't pass this up. .....

Led's should never be ran hard enough to produce that kind of heat, that's one of the big selling points of led's... no heat.

#2- Led's actually need a pulsed power supply to run "correctly" for maximum life, this means anything BUT a constant power supply. If you want to burn an led out quicker than a 10 watt light bulb simply feed it a constant power source until it burns down.

Led's are properly ran on a "cycle". When cycled, the led's will be on "x" amount of time, and off "x" amount of time. This pulsed cycle "frequency" can be adjusted as far as the rise and fall time. It determins not only how long the led is on, but also how long it is off. By timing this, you can actually keep an led on for a less amount of time in pulses, yet your eyes will never know.

This is designed into the Lexus clusters fortunately, but i personally do not agree with the rise, fall time they implemented into it. Had it been different, the factory needles would have lasted forever, even if they had 1 full volt more loaded to them.
Old 04-06-05, 09:12 AM
AutoCoutureSC
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ACleanSC4
Can you still keep the 95 style or 97+ style and implement Leds into that?
I'm with ACleanSC4 on that one. Since you're having China make them, why not just go half clear on top with red on the bottom? I bet you'd sell a bunch to the new SC owners that are coming from the Honduh crowd.

Those tails are the ugliest things ever. No offense, but APC has better designs than that. I wouldn't put those on my car even if someone paid me.
Old 04-06-05, 09:24 AM
Anthracite SC
Lexus Test Driver

"No offense, but APC has better designs than that. I wouldn't put those on my car even if someone paid me. "

It's funny how "no offense"..is supposed to negate everything that comes after it.
Must be MAGIC!!!
Old 04-06-05, 10:32 AM
AutoCoutureSC
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Anthracite SC
"No offense, but APC has better designs than that. I wouldn't put those on my car even if someone paid me. "

It's funny how "no offense"..is supposed to negate everything that comes after it.
Must be MAGIC!!!
LOL.
Old 04-06-05, 10:45 AM
MongolKhan
Lexus Test Driver

They are not really my style but for idea.
Old 04-06-05, 11:30 AM
MRLEXO
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by CleanSC
If these "things" ever get produced, chances are they will be cheaply made (like all the other aftermarket tails) and fade, leak, or crack after time. This is not a product that should be on a Lexus. I have never seen an aftermarket light that didn't look like a complete mess after a year on the street.

But if they ARE high quality (hopefully), they will cost over $600 and 98% of the people on this board will complain that it's too much money and they won't pay it. You can't get quality lights for $200, people. Many of you say "yea, make them!" but how many of you will actually be willing to put money down for these things? Everyone LOVES the clears on Takakaira.com but how many of us here have paid the premium for them?
What you're saying is very true and I'm very familiar with aftermarket lighting. The trend of the aftermarket lighting is shifting to higher quality more premium parts. If you've seen the lights being produced for the W210 E-Class i'm sure you'll agree.
E-Class Projectors
Actually, there are GS projectors that look like that already in production.

What I don't agree with is that you say that there are 3 tail lights already produced for the SC and that is plenty. I've never studied the statistics for how many SC's were ever produced, but through the 10 years in production I'm guessing there's atleast 100,000 ever produced. That's a huge market that's basically untounched as far as aftermarket lighting goes.

These lights will probably range in the 2-3 hundred dollar price range. That's considerabally a lot cheaper than stock. I think these lights will sell.
Old 04-06-05, 11:32 AM
MRLEXO
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by AutoCoutureSC
I'm with ACleanSC4 on that one. Since you're having China make them, why not just go half clear on top with red on the bottom? I bet you'd sell a bunch to the new SC owners that are coming from the Honduh crowd.

Those tails are the ugliest things ever. No offense, but APC has better designs than that. I wouldn't put those on my car even if someone paid me.
Actually, that is the plan. Red/Clears with LED, but once the mold is made, there will be a lot of different designs they'll be able to make on it. Making the first pair of lights is the most difficult part.
Old 04-06-05, 11:33 AM
sourcemine
Lead Lap

If these things sell, I'm going to have start taking my prevacid more seriously so I don't throw up everytime I see them...
Old 04-06-05, 11:45 AM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by MRLEXO
What you're saying is very true and I'm very familiar with aftermarket lighting. The trend of the aftermarket lighting is shifting to higher quality more premium parts. If you've seen the lights being produced for the W210 E-Class i'm sure you'll agree.
E-Class Projectors
Actually, there are GS projectors that look like that already in production.

What I don't agree with is that you say that there are 3 tail lights already produced for the SC and that is plenty. I've never studied the statistics for how many SC's were ever produced, but through the 10 years in production I'm guessing there's atleast 100,000 ever produced. That's a huge market that's basically untounched as far as aftermarket lighting goes.

These lights will probably range in the 2-3 hundred dollar price range. That's considerabally a lot cheaper than stock. I think these lights will sell.
Those E-Class projectors look very nice. If that's aftermarket then for them and I hope the materials are long-lasting.

You say your lights will sell for the 2-3 hundred dollar range and that's considerably cheaper than stock. Those lights you see in the above pic I purchased for $304 shipped and anyone on this board can buy them at that price.

Now if a new light is designed and it rocks, I'm all for it. But the designs shown earlier just don't match the SC in my opinion. Now if you could make an SC HEADLIGHT with HID projectors THEN you are on to something. Not everyone has a problem with their tails. But everyone has a problem with their headlights. They leak, fog up, and fade. It applies to almost 100% of SC owners. You'd sell a ton more headlights than tails for the SC. I'd be first in line just for the lenses. Can you fabricate just the lenses? That would sell like hotcakes, too.

Just some ideas.
Old 04-06-05, 11:47 AM
sourcemine
Lead Lap

Those E-Class projectors look very nice. If that's aftermarket then for them and I hope the materials are long-lasting.

You say your lights will sell for the 2-3 hundred dollar range and that's considerably cheaper than stock. Those lights you see in the above pic I purchased for $304 shipped and anyone on this board can buy them at that price.

Now if a new light is designed and it rocks, I'm all for it. But the designs shown earlier just don't match the SC in my opinion. Now if you could make an SC HEADLIGHT with HID projectors THEN you are on to something. Not everyone has a problem with their tails. But everyone has a problem with their headlights. They leak, fog up, and fade. It applies to almost 100% of SC owners. You'd sell a ton more headlights than tails for the SC. I'd be first in line just for the lenses. Can you fabricate just the lenses? That would sell like hotcakes, too.

Just some ideas.

Crystal clear headlights with HIDs would be a BIG HIT, versus riced out ALTEZZA style tailights...
Old 04-06-05, 12:05 PM
MRLEXO
Lead Lap

Just some ideas.
I also would like to see new headlights for the SC but i'm not sure the lighting factories are willing to produce headlights because the factory one already come with stock projectors. There's not too much you can do with the SC headlight in terms of designs but i'm sure that is something theyll consider. Besides, most SC owners have problems with condensation/fogged up headlights as it is, I think an aftermarket OEM replica headlight set that sells for $300 is already a hit.
Old 04-06-05, 12:07 PM
rscott
Lexus Test Driver

im so out on this one.
Old 04-06-05, 12:12 PM
got_trd
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if the housing and everything was red it would be cool

Quick Reply: SC Concept LED Lights