How to get rid of SUV's

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-01, 07:16 PM
garnet92
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question

Is it just me or what?

Traffic just screeched to a halt, we’re barely creeping - what the hell is the holdup up ahead? Wish I could see … but nooooooooooo, I can’t see a gd thing cause that gd SUV ahead of me is blocking out the sun.

Or, you stop (like a good citizen) at a traffic light – would like to turn right (after a complete stop, officer) … but noooooooooooo, can’t see oncoming traffic cause there’s a gd SUV on your left and all you can see is “Firestone”.

With due respects to our brother/sisters driving LXs, all big pickups, all vans, and for sure all big SUVs could be melted down and made into backpack frames or something.

These damn things are dangerous! A good driver ought to know what’s goin on in traffic way up ahead – be prepared – right! At least past the next car for sure … but noooooooooooo, not with a mobile home in your path.

Our beloved SCs are being put at risk because of these abominations, why we risk our very lives, making our way down the highway of life with lights on cause the devils around us block the very sun. Woe is us.

We need to band together brothers and sisters! Reach down in our souls! Raise up our voices! Shout to the heavens … get thee behind me, evil SUV! Let my SC go! (can I get an AMEN)

Sorry … got a little carried away there – fell back into my Jimmy Swaggart mode.

Seriously, don’t the rest of you get pissed at all of the Expeditions, Navigators, Suburbans, and Yukons surrounding us??? I thought some of you might have some creative way to deal with the menace (without caving in and buying one). Any suggestions?
Old 06-08-01, 08:31 PM
Kaban
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb I have an idea

Raise regular gas prices to $4.00 a gallon!! J/K

Seriously tho, something really needs to be done about those Explorers; aka Road Hazards, also know as Flipping fireballs on wheel; Suburans/Yukons whatever. They just to huge to be on the road. Especially the Suburans/yukons whatever. Like making them require to get a Semi Truck lisence to be able to drive one of those barges.
Old 06-08-01, 10:04 PM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Most of the time I think they want to show me that their SUV is faster than mine SC. They always pass me while traffic is slowing down and block my view
Old 06-09-01, 07:47 AM
RealMarty
Lexus Test Driver

Exclamation You're reading my mind

Originally posted by garnet92
Is it just me or what?...

I can’t see a gd thing cause that gd SUV ahead of me is blocking out the sun.

Or, you stop (like a good citizen) at a traffic light – would like to turn right (after a complete stop, officer) … but noooooooooooo, can’t see oncoming traffic cause there’s a gd SUV on your left and all you can see is “Firestone”.

...all vans, and for sure all big SUVs could be melted down and made into backpack frames or something.

These damn things are dangerous! A good driver ought to know what’s goin on in traffic way up ahead – be prepared – right! At least past the next car for sure … but noooooooooooo, not with a mobile home in your path.

...Seriously, don’t the rest of you get pissed at all of the Expeditions, Navigators, Suburbans, and Yukons surrounding us??? I thought some of you might have some creative way to deal with the menace (without caving in and buying one). Any suggestions?

Gartnet92. I couldn't agree with you more. I'd sure love to be able to see what the hell is going on around me on the road. But noooo! I'm stuck in an SUV canyon.

I've always thought the option I'd like to add to my GS is a SCUD launcher or a Laser Cannon on the front bumper to obliterate these DAMN SUVs.
Old 06-09-01, 10:46 AM
The_Best_GS
Driver

Lightbulb All Glass SUVs???

Maybe they should make them in all glass . This way :
1) We can see through them and
2) They get the brunt of the damage when they rear-end us.

I was going to get a Navigator. But I test-drove a GS @ and I have been driving it since. I could not believe that I actually wanted to buy a SUV (Stop Ur Vision). They are good if you have a large family I guess. Or if you don’t live alone (large back seats ).

Last edited by The_Best_GS; 06-10-01 at 02:08 PM.
Old 06-09-01, 11:56 PM
Francis K
Racer

Default Hey now...

you guys are destroying my self esteem, I'm gonna cry myself to sleep tonight (sniff sniff)

P.S.

CANYONEROOOOOOOOOO!!! YAH!

Old 06-10-01, 09:43 AM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

Ahem...SUV drivers here
Old 06-10-01, 10:18 AM
garnet92
Lexus Test Driver

Wink No offense

To our cousins of the LX persuasion (RXs aren’t really super-sized) – while your vehicles do BLOT OUT THE SUN – at least LX drivers do have the good breeding to stay on a diagonal (ahead, or behind but to left or right) so normal people can see. BTW, in the Lexus Canon of Ethics, section 5, paragraph 14, it states “all Lexus vehicles of EXCESSIVE proportions shall, upon identification of another NORMAL Lexus, promptly GIVE WAY”. Would I lie?
Old 06-10-01, 10:20 AM
RealMarty
Lexus Test Driver

Nothing personal. I just think SUVs suck.

They guzzle gas and get away with it because they're catagorized as trucks, block the sun, block my vision of the road, lumber along at a snail's pace, can't turn worth a crap and GENERALLY are driven by people who can barely handle their mass.

I thought mini vans were the worst until SUVs showed up.
Old 06-10-01, 10:54 AM
garnet92
Lexus Test Driver

Exclamation SUV's are the REAL cause

Agree Marty!

A soccer mom with a minivan full of rugrats was bad enough – now we’ve got the same soccer moms careening around in 6,000lbs of sunblock – but they go so slow cause the mom is also on her cellphone – it distracts her so she can’t give her full attention to the task at hand – threatening the rugrats (oh, and occasionally glancing at the road). Before the EEOC targets me for an inquisition, let me also recognize that all a**holes aren’t female – we males have them too. The male drivers are shown (in actual studies) to be compensating for their (otherwise) small equipment.

Don’t know about elsewhere, but here in Texas, we license some of them for what they are - TRUCKS.

Some folks are blaming everything on Big Oil, Big Drug companies, Big Bidness in general – those innocent CEO’s aren’t to blame – it’s Big SUVs! Global warming, excessive reliance on foreign oil, depletion of the rain forest, the XFL, famine and pestilence, they’re all the result of Big SUVs. Why can’t we get congress and the prez to do something before it’s too late?
Old 06-10-01, 12:18 PM
Slick Lex Coupe
Driver

I look at it this way. I don't have a problem with SUVs in general, just some of the people that drive them. If you have something that you need to tow or enjoy off-roading then I have no problems. I just don't like the idea of someone driving one around all day and never using it for what it was meant to do. SUVs will decline soon and here is why. A long time ago the stationwagon was the symbol of family transport. This meant in some peoples' minds that they were not "cool" or whatever. So families took over the van segment. Remember custom vans. They were cool, then the companies started making minivans and such targeting families. So now minivans are looked upon as uncool. Now where does the fashion conscious family turn??? The SUV. They are cool for now. But look at the companies that are making them are turing them into cars/minivans. They are always bragging about car like rides and things like that. So now SUVs are the symbol of a family car. Does anyone agree with me or am I crazy? Thoughts please.
Old 06-10-01, 12:51 PM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

Slick Lex Coupe, it is refreshing to hear your view on SUV's - that you dnn't have a problem with them in general and that they can be used for towing and such. Many times SUV's are ideal for use. I just don't like it when people are totally against SUV's. From seeing some of the posts of mpg of the GS's the RX, and even other SUV's, get the same and sometimes better gas mileage. Also, in the case of the RX and MDX they are LEV and ULEV respectively.

I see the logic in your description of the popularity of SUV's and wouldn't be surprised if you are correct in describing their evolution/future popularity. One thing is for sure, they are quickly evolving.

Also, I hope I am not fanning any flames here. I am not looking to force my opinions, just express them.
Old 06-10-01, 03:03 PM
Kaban
Lead Lap

Actually I got nothing against Lexus suvs and MB, BMW's. RX is about the same length as GS and LX is almost 8 inches shorter than an LS 430, and M class is the same size as RX, it's perfectly normal sized.

It is the Suburine and Cadalac's I have beef against. I've passed a Suburine on the free way, it's trunk area are like 6FT long starting from the rear wheel to the bumper. Amazing...why make it that long?? It just looks stupid and block peoples view. I felt like I was passing a train.

Then there's the cadalac, it's made to be so tall it look like a damn building and so wide when parked, the tires are sitting on both side of the white lines. I can't even park next to it because there is no room for me.

And don't get me started on the Ford Explode-tions. What's with the vehicle catching fire and flipping over?? I don't care about them flipping over and explode as long as they do it in the desert somewhere no traffic. But most of the time they do that on the freeway during rush hours. It endangers everyone on the road.
Old 06-11-01, 08:59 AM
mntiger
Driver School Candidate

I can agree with some of what's been said in this thread. Unfortunately I have to take issue with a lot of what's been said. As someone who has owned a Suburban, and currently own a Jeep Grand Cherokee. I know first hand the usefulness of these vehicles.

I originally bought the suburban for my mom, so she could haul around her four grand kids at the same time. I'm sorry but my SC can't do that. As the grand kids have grown, she has been able to downsize to the jeep. The vehicle still can haul most of the kids, groceries, and not get stuck in Minnesota winters.

I was able to place my suburban in any parking spot I wanted to, and so could my mom because I forced her to take the time to find an empty lot, and learn how to drive the suburban before I turned her loose on the streets.

The problem I have with these vehicles is not the vehicle itself it's with the people who get behind the wheel and are scared of the vehicle. This is a large powerful vehicle that has to be handled with respect and care. Without practice and effort any vehicle can be made to look bad by a bad driver.

Think about the Scs we all love. Place this vehicle in the hands of an inexperienced driver, who has never had a high performance car like this at their command and a lot of bad things can happen speeding tickets, totaled cars, or even fatalities. Unfortunately the car, as a high power sports coupe, is going to take a lot of the blame because it was way too much car for such an inexperienced driver. Why would anyone need so much car on public streets? Why would you want to be able to go so fast? Why would you need so much power? Sound familiar?

I happen to love both of my vehicles. They both have very different places in my life and very different purposes. I think most vehicles have their place in society, I just think that some drivers don't.
Old 06-11-01, 11:48 AM
TOPLEXS
Driver

Careful...You are beginning to sound like a conceited, self centered brat. Suv's block YOUR view, want to show YOU how fast they are, turn into YOUR lane, don't allow YOU to see around them. The roads are for all size vehicles, and just because you choose to drive a road hugging, low sitting/viewpoint. inefficient, heavy polluting, high horsepowered, personal 2 +2 coupe, you expect the world to give you special dispensation...Get a life. Have a little patience. The light will soon turn green, and your safe right hand turn awaits you.

Quick Reply: How to get rid of SUV's