SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

sound proofing

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-05, 10:05 PM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default sound proofing

Well guys...I am celebrating with a glass of 18 year old Chivas Regal, and boy is it smooth... I just painted the last coat of eDead liquid sound proofer on my stripped out SC400. The battery has to be relocated to the trunk in prep for one of the Twin Turbos, so I decided to install my high end 4 year old stereo system, (been sitting in original boxes for 4 years, except for the XM Tuner ), MB Quart 2-way and 3-way speakers, MB Quart Competition crossovers, Premier DEHP900R, Pioneer GEX-P910XM tuner and antenna, Alpine V12 amp, JL W03 10" sub and TEIN EDFC. This was obviously the best time to sound proof the car. The stuff is great so far...The real proof will be when I get the car put back together, and listen for the difference. The stuff is great, easy to work with, and changes the sound of the metal when I tap it...the metal now makes a "thud" instead of a "twang" when I tap it. And, the stuff now comes in black instead of that ugly blue...

Here are some pics of how it looks as it is drying...

Regards,

Ryan Ake
Old 04-05-05, 10:23 PM
ACleanSC4
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

awesome ryan!! i've been wanting to do the same to my car but haven't read up on soundproofing products...

how do you like the product you used compared to others out there?

can't wait to see your finished car!!
Old 04-05-05, 10:36 PM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Tony:

Thanks!! I studied this a lot. I was going to go with deadening mat until I learned about this stuff when they advertised on CL. It was an easy decision for me...The mat has some real harsh chemicals in it, namely asphalt, and has been known to outgas when subjected to heat. Well, living in Florida, no brainer. I did not want the exposure to the fumes. Once this stuff totally dries, you can no longer smell it. Plus the smell is not overpowering at all while applying it. It has excellent sound deadening properties, and is cheap compared to DynaMat, and less weight as well.

Yeah, I can't wait to get it done. I just picked up all of the parts for the 2000 refresh from the dealer today. Ordered the engine management for the TT, much to do. Looking forward to finishing it and taking a break from modding...

Luvin it

Ryan
Old 04-05-05, 10:39 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 350 Likes on 226 Posts

The sills are dope!
Old 04-06-05, 12:18 AM
rscott
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im working on mine as we speak also (not really but during the day)

im doing mine a tad bit different though. On the wheel wells i used about 4 layers of peel n seal. Those are super solid now For much of the rest of the car namely the doors and other crevices im using the liquid edead from the group buy too but mine is bright green Not that it matters, but ill know its there. Also, in the little tunnels behind the rear armrest panels that goes through to the trunk, i used some expanding foam to really solidify things in the hard to reach areas between the wheel well and the body panel to make sure theres no metal on metal rattling. Also, under the carpet on top of the edead/mat ill be gluing down some of those stiff foam mats you find under the carpet. A couple people say its overkill, but i want to have the most sound and solid ride possible while still enjoying my performance mods.
The asphalt concern was one of mine too but i had the stuff in my supra and could never smell a thing. Im sure it was still in the air, but living in so cal, its not much more than whats already in the ambient air.

I ran out of time and peel n seal so i had to put it on hold for a couple days until i can get some more. If you guys can find a roofing supply place that carries it you can pick it up for not too expensive at all. The rolls cost about $12 and are 6"x33'.

yours is looking great though
Id reccomend everyone do some sound deadening. Even with having only done the rear deck and rear seat are, the the car definitely feels more solid and is much quieter (read: i have coilovers set stiff, exhaust and a busted wheel bearing and now its almost silent (relatively)). It will be some weight addition, but its not much relatively. Losing the stock seats will easily cover the weight gained. Also, your stereo will actually get louder as far as bass response and just sound all around more solid. It will also be almost inaudible from the outside after everything is done. The sound difference between an open and closed door is amazing. If any of you socal guys want to hear it let me know . The door sounds alot cooler when you close it now too.

hope you didnt seal up your fuel pump access
Old 04-06-05, 06:04 AM
abdul10000
Driver

Originally Posted by rscott
the the car definitely feels more solid and is much quieter (read: i have coilovers set stiff, exhaust and a busted wheel bearing and now its almost silent (relatively)). It will be some weight addition, but its not much relatively. Losing the stock seats will easily cover the weight gained. Also, your stereo will actually get louder as far as bass response and just sound all around more solid. It will also be almost inaudible from the outside after everything is done. The sound difference between an open and closed door is amazing.

Interesting, why would the car feel more solid? Did you feel that while cornering for example? How much on average does it cost to sound prof a car to the level you got your car to? Thanks in advance.
Old 04-06-05, 08:26 AM
nysupraman
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

off topic but SC400T, where did you get the lexus scuff plates?
Old 04-06-05, 08:39 AM
rscott
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by abdul10000
Interesting, why would the car feel more solid? Did you feel that while cornering for example? How much on average does it cost to sound prof a car to the level you got your car to? Thanks in advance.
Not in cornering, but smaller bumps in the road arent as noticeable, road noise is GREATLY lessened and the car all in all just vibrates alot less. For anyone that has ridden in my car before, they all know that my car had issues with being loud. It is still not perfect since i am far from done but it is ALOT better. As far as cost goes, so far ive spent $100 in liquid edead, $30 in peel n seal and will spend about $10 for the foam padding and spray on glue. For the liquid edead, im using the 50 cent brushes from walmart. Its okay if you lose alot of the fibers in the compound, it will just add to structural rigidity

Side note: you can paint the liquid edead over any dynamat but you CANNOT dynamat over liquid edead. It wont stick. For those of you that are going to be doing combinations like myself, use the mat first then paint over the back.

id like some of those door sills too, care to share where you got them?
Old 04-06-05, 01:02 PM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

I will be selling them on CL shortly, as an approved vendor. Be looking out for a GB. I have to finalize the Banner Ads with Darden, and all will be ready to send back to CL for approval.

Thanks,

Ryan
Old 04-06-05, 01:54 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Ryan,

Looking great man. I remember when my interior was stripped down to metal like that But I wasn't doing cool stuff to mine!!

Look forward to seeing the scuff plates for sale - would be interested in getting a set.

Peace,
Jonny
Old 04-06-05, 04:20 PM
ki_soarer
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

your welcome for the help RYAN!!! lol. i had to say something! haha.

i have a great vid of when ryan pulled up and i had already stripped the car, but its not really work friendly due to language. ill post it later if its ok.
Old 04-06-05, 04:52 PM
ChronoJ1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SC400T
I will be selling them on CL shortly, as an approved vendor. Be looking out for a GB. I have to finalize the Banner Ads with Darden, and all will be ready to send back to CL for approval.

Thanks,

Ryan
Sell what? The sills?
Old 04-06-05, 10:19 PM
ki_soarer
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yea the sills. they look great in person too!!!
Old 04-07-05, 05:04 PM
rscott
Lexus Test Driver

great, another thing to dump money on
Old 04-07-05, 06:07 PM
Vegassc400
Lexus Champion

Nice work Ryan. I'll be looking in to this stuff for my sound deadening as well now. I just got my new stereo system in and need to stop some of the rattles.

Quick Reply: sound proofing