SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

I don't deserve to drive a Lexus

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-05, 12:56 PM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy I don't deserve to drive a Lexus

Originally Posted by Koma
I have yet to get into an accident that was my own fault. But than again I've only driven for 3 years.
*knock on wood*
So this idiot right here decided to screw himself.
Merging onto I-95 South, I rammed the back of a Plymouth Voyager.
I don't know what I was thinking. I thought the Voyager had already merged, so when I saw my chance to merge I gunned it. Than I looked straight forward. WHOOPS! BIG **** VAN! Slammed on my brakes but not enough to slow me down enough. Boom. No real damage done there.
No here's the stupid part. I panicked. Without stopping fully I threw my car into park.
I'm sure none of you are dumb enough to have ever heard the noise screaming from my tranny.
It was a warm day and it is a 94. So a line burst from the power steering pump. Leaking power steering fluid E-VAR-Y where. After all the exchanging of information took place...
At first I didn't know what was leaking so I decided, "There should be enough oil still in the engine if it just started leaking and that's not red so maybe the tranny is still good." Started it up, turned over, engine kicked right up.
Put the car in drive, moved forward.
Got the thing towed to a shop. Got the burst line replaced. Drove home. On my way home, I pushed the button on the shifter not pulling it down into another gear (force of habit), the car dropped into 2. So I was like hrmmm... not good. Put it back into drive. Drove a little more. Hit the shifter into neutral by accident, went to pull the shifter back into drive. Pushed the shifter a tad forward, all of a sudden my car throws into reverse.
Now the light on the dash isn't in reverse nor is the shifter completely in the reverse position. But the tranny is in reverse and the reverse lights do come on.
I think I lost brain cells: Now that I park the car back into my parents house. I close the garage door on the rear bumper of the car. Causing some nice abrasions to the rear. Good thing the car already has damage back there from my dad which is still pending a court date (April 20th, please oh please let that other moron in the SUV pay for the damages.)
So now the only real mechanical problem it seems is that the shifter is slightly off from the tranny. To put the car in park, you push the shifter button down push it into the park position. Turn the engine off. Guess what? The key doesn't come out = car is still in gear. Fantastic... Push the shifter up without the button depressed and it clicks again. Finally into park. It's about the same thing for all the other gears.
What the hell did I do?

Last edited by Koma; 04-12-05 at 07:37 AM.
Old 04-11-05, 01:06 PM
southernsc
Lexus Champion

so you put your car into park eh ****** happens, atleast no one was hurt. Take your car to a tranny shop.
Old 04-11-05, 01:14 PM
Koma

Originally Posted by southernsc
so you put your car into park eh ****** happens, atleast no one was hurt. Take your car to a tranny shop.
Well my first reaction was pull over stop and park because I was on the highway. But my hands moved quicker than my foot.
Old 04-11-05, 01:15 PM
jeremyp111
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

WOW! After a story like that I'd say just hang it up dude. You shouldn't be driving anything for a while! Not until you get those nerves under control anyways. By the way, what color is your SC. (so I know to stay away from you on the roads around here). Just kidding
Old 04-11-05, 01:17 PM
Koma

Originally Posted by jeremyp111
WOW! After a story like that I'd say just hang it up dude. You shouldn't be driving anything for a while! Not until you get those nerves under control anyways. By the way, what color is your SC. (so I know to stay away from you on the roads around here). Just kidding
It's black, and trust me I won't be driving it that often. To work on weekends.
I live on campus so I don't have my car during the week. And I go back home to work at my local coffee shop one day a weekend. That's down the street so it's a short drive. My girlfriend can do the driving for now..
Old 04-11-05, 01:33 PM
Vegassc400
Lexus Champion

We've all had those days where things go from bad to worse. First thing, take a deep breath and get your bearings. The car is repairable.

Do not let them rebuild the tranny unless you've got a hook up at the shop. It's not worth the money. Buy a good condition used one and you'll save several hundred $. Check with Aliga for quality used parts.
Old 04-11-05, 01:58 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Hey man - we all have bad days - don't let it get you down. Trust me - I've had more than my fair share!!

As Vegas said, don't rebuild - buy a used one if it is the tranny that is the problem and not something related to the shifter.

Sorry again man,

Jonny
Old 04-11-05, 02:34 PM
indypwr
Lexus Champion

your tranny is screwed.........enough said......
Old 04-11-05, 03:28 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Back to the accident, did the Voyager stop on the on ramp? If so, it's their fault! Even though techinally it's always the person behind that's at fault. You are not suppose to stop on an on ramp!!! I hate when people do this. You should already be up to the speed of on coming traffic so that you can safely merge right in. Don't espect to merge safely from 0 mph. I feel like killing these people! (Not literally)
Old 04-11-05, 08:49 PM
Koma

Originally Posted by JLSC4
Back to the accident, did the Voyager stop on the on ramp? If so, it's their fault! Even though techinally it's always the person behind that's at fault. You are not suppose to stop on an on ramp!!! I hate when people do this. You should already be up to the speed of on coming traffic so that you can safely merge right in. Don't espect to merge safely from 0 mph. I feel like killing these people! (Not literally)
Yes he was stopped on the ramp.
Do you think that'll uphold though?
Old 04-11-05, 09:11 PM
southernsc
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by JLSC4

good call, but isnt the on ramp supose to yeild to the people on the highway just like the people on the service road have to yeild to the people of the off ramp
Old 04-11-05, 10:36 PM
Nomis
Lead Lap

I am seeking a career in law and would highly recommend that, (A) You don't admit guilt at the scene of an accident, and (B) Sure as hell don't post an admission of your guilt all over the World Wide Web. Your luck doesn't seem to be in your favor this week, so I wouldn't advise pushing it further - you never know who is reading these forums. - Just for future reference.

That said it could have been far worse - at least no one was seriously injured - metal and paint can be replaced much more easily than flesh and bones. Be careful out there.
Old 04-12-05, 03:16 AM
London Bill
Lead Lap

Hi Koma (or is that in a Coma from the trauma suffered in one single day ? )

When you hit park and are still rolling there is a ratchet type mechanical device which prevents it from being an instant "LOCK UP" this is whats makes the horrible noise.

It will eventually go into Park as the speed comes down, it goes in with a jolt as everything locks up in the drive line, this has probably disturbed the shifter linkage which is why the stick does not correspond with the indicator. This is adjustable on the outside of the gearbox so dont panic just yet.

One thing that may have happened is the rear gearbox mounting rubber has been split with the shock, this will allow the tailshaft to move out of line putting pressure on the gearshift linkage, easily resolved by replacing the mounting.
Attached Thumbnails I don't deserve to drive a Lexus-linkage.jpg  
Old 04-12-05, 07:39 AM
Koma

Originally Posted by London Bill
Hi Koma (or is that in a Coma from the trauma suffered in one single day ? )

When you hit park and are still rolling there is a ratchet type mechanical device which prevents it from being an instant "LOCK UP" this is whats makes the horrible noise.

It will eventually go into Park as the speed comes down, it goes in with a jolt as everything locks up in the drive line, this has probably disturbed the shifter linkage which is why the stick does not correspond with the indicator. This is adjustable on the outside of the gearbox so dont panic just yet.

One thing that may have happened is the rear gearbox mounting rubber has been split with the shock, this will allow the tailshaft to move out of line putting pressure on the gearshift linkage, easily resolved by replacing the mounting.
Thanks! I'll get a shop to look at that spot and check.
I think the tranny is still good because the car still shifts correctly. No hard shifts, nice smooth ones. I tested it out just to make sure. And the fact that I was on the highway and I had to drive up to speed. It looks like this could be the only problem but we'll see.
Old 04-14-05, 05:24 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

darn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
worst day of a SC!!!

My car did the samething before, what I did with it???
I sold the damn thing and bought another one!!!

Quick Reply: I don't deserve to drive a Lexus