SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Should I get a CF hood?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-05, 01:31 PM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

No paint lol. Does anyone have pic of a painted CF hood. If you do black/gunmetal rims on silver with CF hood it may match up nice here's a pic of my old 240 with unpainted CF hood. No more VIS front bumpers for me lol.

Old 04-19-05, 02:22 PM
got_trd
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it's not gonna cost you any more than a stock hood I dont see why not
Old 04-19-05, 02:45 PM
Ryan23
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm sure this has been covered before but in case something new came along...what's the concensus on the best fitting OEM style CF hood?

Thanks,

Ryan
Old 04-19-05, 02:51 PM
2.5tsoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by /Aerostar\
Yea man go for it. But dont paint it!! CF on black looks so sick
Carbon Ricer hood !!! PAINT IT!!
Old 04-19-05, 02:54 PM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Originally Posted by Ryan23
I'm sure this has been covered before but in case something new came along...what's the concensus on the best fitting OEM style CF hood?

Thanks,

Ryan

I had a VIS hood on my 240sx pictured above it was ok. But as you can see their bumper didnt fit well. I think they do better with their CF hoods than other stuff.
Old 04-19-05, 03:00 PM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2.5tsoarer
Carbon Ricer hood !!! PAINT IT!!
Exactly, you're a grown man with a kid and this is your main source of transportation...paint the hood.

Or better yet, take a poll of the ages of people saying "paint it!" and "leave it!" I'm willing to bet everyone saying to leave it unpainted is of the younger sect.
Old 04-19-05, 03:03 PM
jeremyp111
Lexus Test Driver

Hey dude. I'm 32, married and no kids. Since there's no cost difference, I say go carbon fiber and paint it. You'll get a great amount of weight savings and it will look stock. A quality carbon fiber hood will also hold up better to hail than a steel one.
Old 04-19-05, 03:06 PM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Does anyone have pics of a painted CF hood?
Old 04-19-05, 03:25 PM
SupraCoup3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mikeloc24
Exactly, you're a grown man with a kid and this is your main source of transportation...paint the hood.

Or better yet, take a poll of the ages of people saying "paint it!" and "leave it!" I'm willing to bet everyone saying to leave it unpainted is of the younger sect.
I'd say that poll would yield some interesting results

paint it, yet have it done just right so that it matches, the rest of the car, but you can still see the weave ever-so slightly through the paint. To the average person, it wouldn't look any different, but upon closer inspection by someone who knows, they'll no what's up.

The epitome of the SC -- sports & luxury. Painted, fuctional, weight reducing carbon fiber.

John

Last edited by SupraCoup3; 04-19-05 at 03:31 PM.
Old 04-19-05, 04:47 PM
LexAnt
Lexus Champion

i guess i'm one of the younger sects that say don't paint it. IMO, i think that with gunmetal rims, the contrast of silver/black/gunmetal will look good. Look in the gallery for Emerald's SC which had carbon fiber hood and trunk with gunmetal rims, it looked pretty nice, and I'm using it as inspiration when I do mines. I do have one question tho, of the carbon fiber hoods available, which gives the most savings etc etc?

Vis Racing?
GTP?
Seibon?
T&E?
Old 04-19-05, 05:19 PM
boobstar
Lexus Test Driver

I say if you are going to paint it then dont get it. Carbon fiber hoods are not oem. They can be warped or not fit well. Why deal with that if you are going to make it a stock hood anyway? Honestly being that it is a family car I dont see you needing the save the weight you would be saving. I still stick with what I said before, get it and trade it to someone who wants one, that way two people get what they want.

BTW here is a pic of my old car with a carbon fiber hood that was painted over. At the time I was in a car club called Team Decepticon so I had the Decepticon logo taped off when it was being sprayed so the logo itself is still carbon fiber (unpainted).

Last edited by boobstar; 04-19-05 at 05:23 PM.
Old 04-19-05, 05:34 PM
ChallenSup
Driver

get the hood, and paint it to match.

By the way, Im 18. I think a CF hood would look like crap on your platinum car. PAINT IT.
Old 04-19-05, 06:04 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Guys,

Firstly this has yielded an interesting discussion among SC members of all ages - something that we have been missing on the SC forum for a while. We need more discussions like this!!

Secondly, I have to give my sincerest apologies to everyone to have wasted their time. The bodyshop was supposed to call me prior to starting work on the car as I told them I was looking around for some parts. Well, this message didn't seem to take the right channels so I ended up calling them today to find out the car is fixed and was in the paint area already !

So, I guess they made the decision for me - stock hood!!

But as I said, this was a great discussion and I am glad people threw in their views.

Apologies again and thanks everyone for their insight.

Jonny
Old 04-19-05, 06:17 PM
boobstar
Lexus Test Driver

I think you will find is was for the better. Like aasc300 said, it takes up to 3 times to get a good hood. My first one came with cracks in the hood by the latch. They told me to just re clear it, that that was where the cracks were. Well I did that and the cracks came back. Thats when I decided to paint over the whole hood but again the cracks came back because it was a problem area. Even when you get one that appears perfect excessive heat can still warp it. I really dont know why age came into this though. Its not an age thing, its more of a "what kind of look are you going for" thing. I think people that were trying to go more jdm would be more of a fan of the unpainted carbon fiber or people that were out to make a show car, whether they are 12 or 45. There are 16 year olds that want a nice clean Lexus just as much as there are 40 year olds who want a show car. Im 25 btw so I am not sure what you would say that says about my preference.
Old 04-19-05, 08:05 PM
KrazeMatik
Lexus Test Driver

i say leave it CF... and which why will u paint it? all of it or just the middle part? for me i say just leave it CF

Quick Reply: Should I get a CF hood?