I need SC300 help! :-)

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-05, 04:09 PM
AZDiva
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need SC300 help! :-)

Hey, SC'ers

I am in the position of buying a SC300 from a dealer. The vehicle is a 1992 SC300 with 106K miles. Here is what I do know:

1. The vehicle has a small scratch/dent on the passenger rear bumper.

2. Factory equipped with DOCH 6cyl engine, AT overdrive transmission, cold a/c, p. windows, p. door locks, dual p. mirrors, dual p. seats, ABS brakes, p. moonroof, premium sound system, 12 dics cd changer, and premium chrome wheels.

3. The interior is all original gray leather and still is in great shape.

4. Dealer states:

VEHICLE CONDITION. HAS MINOR FADES ON THE HOOD, AND TOP OF DRIVER’S SIDE DOOR, MINOR DENT ON THE BOTTOM OF THE REAR PASSENGER SIDE QUARTER PANEL (SEE PIC), THE CD CHANGER CARTRIDGE IS MISSING COULD BE ORDERED.

What do you all think? Are SC's expensive to maintain?
Old 04-19-05, 04:14 PM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Seek and ye shall find.....

A most informative web site awaits your perusal:

www.intellexual.net

...and after that, here's another one:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/search.php
Old 04-19-05, 04:14 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

You ask us for help but did not mention the price. We need to know the price in order to know if you're getting a good deal or not. I would say around 5-6k would be ok for the price of this car. Everything sounds about right.
Old 04-19-05, 04:33 PM
AZDiva
Driver School Candidate

PHP]You ask us for help but did not mention the price. We need to know the price in order to know if you're getting a good deal or not.[/PHP]

Sorry about that... price is $5,950. 1992, 106K

How expensive are they to maintain? oil change? tune-up etc..
Old 04-19-05, 04:42 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

First things first, a few months into driving your car, you will definitely notice the things you cant even tell are there one your first test drive. You're buying a 12 year old car here, you can't really expect it to be perfect, especially at a 6 thousand dollar price tag. Let me just say right now if you can deal with little problems arising here and there, get the car. If you dont have money to afford OE Lexus parts or Lexus maintainence prices, maybe it is not for you.

I drive a 95 SC right now and I have a few things on the to-do list (not including aftermarket modifications) but different people are picky about different things (like me)

good luck.
Old 04-19-05, 04:46 PM
AZDiva
Driver School Candidate

Thank you for the honest feedback. I do understand the car is 12 years old and not new. My only concern was the stories I've heard that stated Lexus owners were paying $100 for oil changes, labor cost of $200+ per hour etc..

Thank you again.
Old 04-19-05, 04:58 PM
FireCode
Lexus Test Driver

dont go to Lexus for an oil change
Old 04-19-05, 05:19 PM
Cloud9
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AZDiva
Thank you for the honest feedback. I do understand the car is 12 years old and not new. My only concern was the stories I've heard that stated Lexus owners were paying $100 for oil changes, labor cost of $200+ per hour etc..

Thank you again.

I recommend learning how to do most of the minor maintenace issues yourself. You can get Mobil 1 synth oil from Walmart for around $30, the OEM oil filter for $3-4 at rockauto.com and you have your oil change done by yourself for less than $40 total. In addition, you know it's been done with care and attention since you have done it yourself

You should also learn how to do the tranny fluid, air filter, diff fluid, brakes, etc. It's difficult at first but over the long run of maintaining this car or any other car you may own, it's well worth the effort financially and you can sleep better at night
Old 04-19-05, 06:10 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Diva,

As everyone else has stated - if you are pouring all over your money into the pricetag of the car, then this car is not right for you.

Lexus are very reliable as a whole, but that all depends on how well the car was taken care of. I bring my car to Toyota for oil changes and it costs me $24.

Transmission flushes are about $120 using the T-IV.

I know it sucks when people say to use the search button, but really it is the best way to get the answers to your questions. Particluar things to look out for are burned out gauge lights/needles ( OLT is your guy for that) and control arm bushings to name but a few.

See if you can send us some pictures of the car so we can see it - we like pictures. Also, nice to see a female on the SC boards. (I'm guessing you are female from diva!!!)

Take care,
Jonny
Old 04-19-05, 06:22 PM
AZDiva
Driver School Candidate

Smile AZDiva-Thanks everyone for the generous feedback :-)

Dx3,

Yes, I am female
I don't have a problem with the price of the car, it's just that I had gotten all excited about the possibility of becoming an SC owner and then *friends* starting commenting on the cost of maintenance.

I do understand it is a car that has expensive upkeep but they were making it seem as though I should expect to pay 2-300 monthly in upkeep. I am looking forward to becoming an SC owner. I have always taken care of the cars I've had in the past.

Being female I try to make sure my cars go in for their scheduled maintenance tt all times to avoid problems.

How do I upload the pictures?
Old 04-19-05, 06:27 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AZDiva
Dx3,

Yes, I am female
I don't have a problem with the price of the car, it's just that I had gotten all excited about the possibility of becoming an SC owner and then *friends* starting commenting on the cost of maintenance.

I do understand it is a car that has expensive upkeep but they were making it seem as though I should expect to pay 2-300 monthly in upkeep. I am looking forward to becoming an SC owner. I have always taken care of the cars I've had in the past.

Being female I try to make sure my cars go in for their scheduled maintenance tt all times to avoid problems.

How do I upload the pictures?
Diva,

Your friends are just jealous because you will be driving an SC

You may run into problems along the way, but $200-300 is not something I have had to spend on the car for maintenance. Has the 90k maintenance been done??

To upload pictures you can either host them yourself and then click on the IMG tab ( square picture above this box with mountains) or else put them in the gallery, then insert the link into the same IMG tab (mountain box!!! )

Hope that makes sense!!

Jonny
Old 04-19-05, 06:41 PM
AZDiva
Driver School Candidate

hope this upload of photo works...
Attached Thumbnails I need SC300 help! :-)-lexus-1.jpg  
Old 04-19-05, 06:42 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic