SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Lighter steering needed

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-05, 05:53 AM
2autumn
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lighter steering needed

I have contracted severe rheumatoid arthritis and can drive my SC300 no more than 6 miles a day without my arms really hurting due to having to turn the steering wheel. (3 years ago I was fine, weight training, swimming 2 miles a day etc. - so these disorders happen fast). I am therefore pretty well house-bound at present.

I have increased the front tire pressures to 45 psi but this is still not light enough. Turning the steering wheel hurts my elbows and forearms the worst.

I have considered using a **** on the steering wheel, but do not think that this will help much, as it is the turning force that affects my elbows and forearms. (By wearing splints, I take the pressure off my wrists).

Can I modify the steering pump, put a different steering pump on, or change the steering linkage, so that the steering wheel is a LOT lighter to turn. (The steering on the car is already reasonably light for turning purposes for the normal person, I'm just no longer a normal person.)

I suppose that changing the alignment of the wheels, castor or camber might help as well, though providing a boost to the steering pump seems to be a more elegant solution.

Any ideas?
Old 04-22-05, 08:12 AM
2autumn
Driver School Candidate

One further point - maybe just fitting a stronger steering pump would do the trick. Does anyone know if some of the Toyota steering pumps are bigger or stronger than the others? Perhaps a steering pump from a Toyota truck would do the trick?

Of course, this might just blow the seals somewhere else.

Any help will be appreciated.
Old 04-22-05, 08:24 AM
TWISTED II
Pole Position

dang, sorry to hear about your situation. not 100% sure if a bigger pump will do the trick, but i'm sure someone on here will be able to help.
Old 04-22-05, 08:59 AM
V8RWDHP
Driver

How about a larger wheel for more leverage? Then again that may just increase your amount of movement which would probably not be good. just a thought. Sorry to hear about your condition. My Father also contracted Rheumatoid Arthritis many years ago and I know it is miserable. I hope you have some luck with the treatment options.
Old 04-22-05, 04:01 PM
techsc400
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Flush Power Steering fluid

I just flushed the Power Steering Fluid (100%) with new Toyota ATF (5 Quarts)(Not type IV, Dextron III by manual) on my 95 SC4.

Day and Night diffrence!!!

Steering wheel is very light and very soft. Much less power needed to turn.

My fluid was dark red and I was able to see some black dust in it. I thought that it was OK and I drove it about an year like that.

Couple of days ago, I just did it . WOW I did not expect this much difference.
The fluid color is pink red now.

Check your fluid and if it is not clean, I recommend to flush it completely. It is definitely worth to spend $20 for 5 Quarts of ATF.

Here is how to do it. It was so easy. Took me 30min.
http://www.lexls.com/psflush.html

Turkey baster Siphon($2) from Safeway, Ice maker water hose (6") to connect to the siphone.
I bought 3/4" inner diameter hose from Lowes store for 3 ft ($4), Hose clamp ($0.96) connected to return hose. couple of 1 gallon mik container.
That is all you need.

putting an extra paded steering wheel cover helps a little also. Hope this help.

Last edited by techsc400; 04-22-05 at 04:15 PM.
Old 04-22-05, 05:37 PM
EUROJulian
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are easy remedys.
First reduce front tires width as much as possible. Second reduce caster settings of the front end as much as safely poissibe. Third use rims with exact factory offset.

Hope this help. Good luck.