SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Fog lamps...I mean "turning lights"

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-01, 11:53 AM
Shaft SC400
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, a couple nights ago, one of my friends said I should turn on my fog lamps on my 94 SC400 at night because it makes the car look bad ***. I had always seen the lower lights on the front but never thought about how to turn them on. I asked my dad and it turned out what my friend and I thought were fog lamps, were "turning lights" which turned on when I turned on a turn signal. I guess most of you knew this already and I feel kind of dumb now. But My question is , is there a way to replace these turning lights with real fog lamps? And has anyone here done this?

AJ
Old 06-13-01, 12:15 PM
MISURA

I could have sworn they switched over to fog lights around '97, mabye Japan only. Read it somewhere on the UK Lexus forum where they list the year by year changes.

www.jkwebdesign.co.uk/lexusclub

Sorry I can't be of more help.
Old 06-13-01, 12:32 PM
midknight

Hummm? Anyone know what the SC430 has? Fog lamps below or turning lights? They also could be used as just driving light right?
Old 06-13-01, 12:45 PM
hellasboy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I added a picture because I wasn't sure which lights you are referring to. The picture quality isn't great, I took this picture to try to get a pic of my Xenon's, but that didn't work. I circled the lights that I *think* you are referring to. I have a '95 SC400 and these are indeed fog lights.

Are these the lights you were referring to?
Attached Thumbnails Fog lamps...I mean "turning lights"-95scfogsa.jpg  
Old 06-13-01, 12:47 PM
midknight

Yeah, those are the lights! Thanks for the info!
Old 06-13-01, 01:57 PM
Shaft SC400
Driver School Candidate

Yes those are the lights i'm referring to. But I'm pretty sure on the 94 sc400 that they are not fog lights because there is no switch anywhere to turn them on(I looked for a long time). where is the control on the your 95 SC? thanks for the pic.

AJ
Old 06-13-01, 05:27 PM
hellasboy
Lexus Test Driver

The fog switch is located medial to the light switch, here is a pic. The normal lights are switched to "off" and the fog lights are switched to "on".
Attached Thumbnails Fog lamps...I mean "turning lights"-95scfogswitch.jpg  

Last edited by hellasboy; 06-13-01 at 05:31 PM.
Old 06-13-01, 10:11 PM
Shaft SC400
Driver School Candidate

I dont remember seeing that switch...well I'm going to go check right now, hold on......and nope, I dont have that switch, they just probably didnt have fog lights on the 93 SC's( I said 94 by accident before). I looked on my dads LX and the switch was right where u pointed it out on your sc. Damn, it disappoints me that they would put turning lights there instead of fog lights..but oh well..

AJ
Old 06-13-01, 10:26 PM
Shaft SC400
Driver School Candidate

I just checked the standard features for the SC's and fog lights were available on the '92, but dont return until the '95. Lucky me, I have an SC from one of the years the "left out" the fog lamps and replaced them with "turning lights"..lol

AJ
Old 06-14-01, 12:24 AM
hellasboy
Lexus Test Driver

Do your turning signals contain the H3 bulbs? If they do, I'm pretty sure you can re-wire them so that they will turn on when you turn on your night lights.

I drive with my fog lights on all the time, they really light up the road directly in front of the car at night... and yeah, they look cool

Also, I think there was a discussion on the boards about someone wanting to turn the "turning lights" into fog lights and someone might have mentioned exactly how to do it.
-Nick

Last edited by hellasboy; 06-14-01 at 12:27 AM.
Old 06-14-01, 09:16 AM
MySCzToOPHaT

My SC came with the Turning lights also, what I had to do was have someone rewire it so that it turns on as a parking light. This was done with relays, and cost me about $20. I also opt'd to use a yellow bulb in there. Thery are the single filliment twist in type. The lights arent as bright as fog lights but still looks cool at night none the less...
Old 06-14-01, 01:01 PM
Shaft SC400
Driver School Candidate

Where did u get this done. Just at some auto store or did you know someone who could do this for you, because I'm considering having this done also, thanks

AJ
Old 06-14-01, 09:51 PM
LOTC
VIP 様式

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey MySCTOoPhat,since you have converted your turning lights into foglights,do they still blink when you signal?
Old 06-15-01, 04:23 PM
MySCzToOPHaT

Any stereo shop would be able to do this. I opted not to have them blink, but if you wanted them to blink, that wouldnt be a problem. Just make sure they use relays...
Old 06-15-01, 04:42 PM
LOTC
VIP 様式

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

so if you singal they will blink and after the singal is finished they just light up right?

Is it safe to really do this.

Quick Reply: Fog lamps...I mean "turning lights"