SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

How many people use front license plate?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-01, 11:41 AM
midknight

Cool

I'm in Cali where it is required to have both front and back license plates installed on your car. But I've found that many people leave the front one off. Wondering who here has it off and have gotten pulled over for not having it?

Especially, the SC430, seems to be one of the cars that really needs it off- to keep it's clean lines.

Attached Thumbnails How many people use front license plate?-dsc00060.jpg  
Old 06-15-01, 12:31 PM
MISURA

Unhappy

Have to have a front license plate in Ontario, Canada. Cops crack down pretty hard if you don't have one. Some people do get away by placing a plate in there front windshield though. Some even cut up the plate to make it stand out less.
Old 06-15-01, 01:35 PM
exsilio

I live in Cali too, and when I get my plates I will not be attaching the front plates. I see many cars without them. And I think it's a fairly cheap ticket if you are pulled over. But honestly, how many cops are gonna pull a U-Turn if they pass you and notice no plates. I'd say the biggest ticket to worry about in the 430 is:

speeeeeeeeeeeeeeding!!!

But those dame dealers drilled two holes in the front for their dealer plate. Totally irritates me. But I'd rather contend with those holes than the plate.

My 2 cents.
Old 06-15-01, 01:47 PM
ACleanSC4
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default never pulled over...

I live in Orange County, CA and I've never gotten pulled over once for not having a front license plate. I have a 92 SC4 and it doesn't have the holes for the plate so I never attached it.
Also on the Camaros and Corvettes, they don't have a place for the plates either. So I think if there's no holes for it, it's ok??

Leave it off! It looks better!

Tony
Old 06-15-01, 04:18 PM
midknight

even if the dealer didn't puncture the two holes for the front plates, there still would be two little divets from the factory.

I'll definately leave it off. Heard it was just a $14 fix it fine if you get stopped.
Old 06-15-01, 05:12 PM
Jazzbo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Never ticketed in CA

I've driven in CA for about 20 years now and have never been pulled over for not having a license on the front of any of my cars. I have been pulled over for other reasons, and in some cases the officer will remind me to put it on the car, and in one case actually added a "fix it" note to the ticket (no fine associated with it), but more often they don't say anything about it at all.

My SC400 (bought used) had a license mounted on the front, and now has 4 ugly holes in the front where an even uglier license used to be. Anyone ever filled in the holes with good results? What did you use?

And I agree, Lexus SC series is clearly not designed with a front plate in mind. Putting a rectangular piece of metal on the broad smooth curve of an SC nose is a crime against art. Just say no.

And if a dealer drilled holes in my brand new SC I would be drilling holes in the dealer.

Scott
Old 06-15-01, 06:29 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Every car and motorcycle I've ever owned never had plates...front OR back.

The only time I got tickets is when I got pulled over for something else (usually speeding)...and in California, it's a cheap fix it ticket...I've even used double stick tape a few times to attach the front bumper (I would just attach it one block from the Police station and then pull in)

Now that they have all these photo-this-n-thats, I'm glad I don't have any plates...makes it much hard to mail me them tickets!
Old 06-16-01, 05:41 AM
redsc300
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm live in valley (northridge) s.Cali.
today I put mine on to the car.
I really don't like to do that? Because I have big gold L lexus plate . i have to do that ! My car is really polices magnet(red and chromed rim and big bomax spoiler)
today I read news paper article about fornt licesce Plate intermittent . specially for this month the front licences plate . be careful....tiket is around $80 not that cheap.
my friend told me
even if you put on to the dashboard same tiket just tell police men to lost or no where to put or no hole in the front bumper and get fixing tiket is better and cheaper don't forge fixing tiket also process fee around $20 and you have to present court or polices staions to you repair or set right. double tape is great Idea!
!
Old 06-16-01, 06:16 PM
anthracitetarga
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I live in TN but i would imagine that u could get away w/out having the front plate b/c if a cop going the other way sees u going towards him and u don't have the front plate, he would probably just think u were an out-a-towner and think nothing of it. The only thing i would do to my front bumper is to do what L_Sport did to the front of his ES300.